1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Changing tranny fluid in 2001 Ranger?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 05:02 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Lone_Ranger01
I was at a local auto store today and saw some Mobil1 synthetic ATF. My manual says to use Mercon, however the Mobil1 bottle said that it was Mercon/Dexron compliant. What do you guys think?
That will be ok, one thing to remember, Mobil 1 synthetic ATF IS
NOT compliant with Mercon 5, for those of you with automatic
trannies!!!! Mercon 5 is Mercon 5, and we won't even begin to
get into an Amsoil discussion!!!!!!

Old 02-19-2004, 07:00 AM
Houckster
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mercon V

Sounds right.

Last edited by Houckster; 02-19-2004 at 07:02 AM.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:49 AM
Lone_Ranger01
Senior User
Thanks Bob, I have the 5spd. manual that uses "Mercon" so I think It should be all right. I've seen a few synthetic ATFs that were Mercon/Dexron compliant such as Royal Purple, Red Line, B&M synthetic trick shift, and the mobil1. They're all probably about the same.

Old 02-20-2004, 12:23 AM
Lone_Ranger01
Senior User
Okay guys, I changed my tranny fluid today and replaced it with Mobil1 synthetic. The original tranny fluid that came from the factory was NOT gear oil, it was definetely Mercon or ATF. Its was dark red and really thin, not like gear oil which is golden brown and thick. BTW, this was my first time I ever changed the tranny fluid in a vehicle and I noticed that there were some really fine metal shavings in the old fluid and stuck to the magnetic tranny plug. Is it normal to have some shavings in the tranny fluid? Is it from the clutch?

Old 02-20-2004, 08:02 AM
Thumper47
Senior User
Lone_Ranger01, Thanks for posting your experience. Perhaps will serve as somewhat reassuring.
The fine metal shavings you mentioned are not necessarily something to be overly concerned about (depending on the quantity). A certain amount of metal may be expected in the original fluid as the result of synchronizers, gears, etc., "breaking-in", so to speak. Excessive amounts would indicate possible abuse or malfunction. Your next fluid change may reveal lesser amounts of metal. (Good idea to change fluids "hot", so that foreign particles are in suspension, rather than settled to bottom)
Said metal shavings are one of the reasons I intend to change my tranny/transfer case fluid at relatively low mileage. I do the same with engine oil change: change it first time at 1000 miles (to get the very small particles of "break-in" metal out), second time 2000 miles later, then every 3000 after that. (Some people believe that this is excessive; just the way I do it.)
Thanks again for your post.

Thumper47
P.S. No, it's not from the clutch; it's tranny material.

Last edited by Thumper47; 02-20-2004 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:59 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by Thumper47
Lone_Ranger01, Thanks for posting your experience. Perhaps will serve as somewhat reassuring.
The fine metal shavings you mentioned are not necessarily something to be overly concerned about (depending on the quantity). A certain amount of metal may be expected in the original fluid as the result of synchronizers, gears, etc., "breaking-in", so to speak. Excessive amounts would indicate possible abuse or malfunction. Your next fluid change may reveal lesser amounts of metal. (Good idea to change fluids "hot", so that foreign particles are in suspension, rather than settled to bottom)
Said metal shavings are one of the reasons I intend to change my tranny/transfer case fluid at relatively low mileage. I do the same with engine oil change: change it first time at 1000 miles (to get the very small particles of "break-in" metal out), second time 2000 miles later, then every 3000 after that. (Some people believe that this is excessive; just the way I do it.)
Thanks again for your post.

cThumper47
P.S. No, it's not from the clutch; it's tranny material.
Good post.

I agree that, aside from replenishment of a fluid's important agents & properties, there are also great benefits to be derived from the "cleansing" effect that occurs as a result of regular fluid/ filter changes.

Old 02-20-2004, 10:10 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Rockledge
Good post.

I agree that, aside from replenishment of a fluid's important agents & properties, there are also great benefits to be derived from the "cleansing" effect that occurs as a result of regular fluid/ filter changes.
I totally agree!!!!!! I DO NOT believe in the extended change intervals for engine or tranny!!!

Old 02-20-2004, 11:42 AM
Houckster
Senior User
Smile ATF

Assuming that Lone_Ranger01 was changing out the factory fill fluid, I concede that ATF is what's used in the Mazda transmission. I was wrong.

Personally, I think magnets are a good idea for both the transmission and the engine. A couple of Neodymium magnets will pull any ferric wear material out of the oil in short order (much quicker than an oil change) saving an oil change or two. I put them on the oil filter and the transmission drain plug.

Last edited by Houckster; 02-20-2004 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:25 PM
Lone_Ranger01
Senior User
Thumper, thanks for the info. I did change the fluid right after I got done driving it so i would get all the gunk out of the tranny. The fluid looked like metallic paint from the fine metal shavings. It was a really easy job, just drain and fill although the filling part tends to get messy. I've only got 28000 miles on the truck and according to the owners manual I didn't have to change it until 60000 but since it's so cheap and easy to do, why not? Thanks for the help everyone.

Old 02-26-2004, 09:32 AM
Thumper47
Senior User
Re: ATF

Personally, I think magnets are a good idea for both the transmission and the engine. A couple of Neodymium magnets will pull any ferric wear material out of the oil in short order (much quicker than an oil change) saving an oil change or two. I put them on the oil filter and the transmission drain plug. [/B][/QUOTE]

Your reference to Neodymium magnets tweaked my curiousity.
Am I to assume that you place said magnets on the *outside* of your oil filter and on the *outside* or your drain plug?
If so, would you be so very kind as to share any knowledge you may have of a readily available source for such magnets?
Thank you.

Thumper47

Old 02-26-2004, 10:02 AM
Houckster
Senior User
Lightbulb Magnets and placement

You are correct about the placement of the magnets. I think they are quite useful. I use them on the rear axle too.

The neodymium magnets can be obtained from: Gauss Boys. The magnets are very powerful and fairly cheap.

Old 02-26-2004, 10:05 AM
Thumper47
Senior User
Thanks, Houckster.
I'm on it.

Thumper47

Old 02-26-2004, 12:07 PM
Lone_Ranger01
Senior User
What shape do you use and where at on the oil filter do you place them, sides or bottom. Thanks.

Old 02-26-2004, 02:31 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
If you guys have any old computer hard drives lying around that you dont need, inside of them are a couple of nice flat magnets, very strong, each having about the same mass as a dollar coin, and just about as thick. Because they are free, they are my pan magnet of choice...

Old 02-26-2004, 02:46 PM
Lone_Ranger01
Senior User
Thanks, now I just need to find a junk hard drive.

Quick Reply: Changing tranny fluid in 2001 Ranger?