Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Cummins set to take the lead?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 06:28 PM
cheapfeel
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok just for the record. I was at the my Ford dealership today picking up a fan belt, and I inquired the parts salesman about the new 6.0L. Here in Saskatchewan, guys use these Superduty's in the oil patch. That can mean running all day without being shut off, to 4x4ing all day in running board deep mud. Anyways i asked him how these new diesels were holding up. He said they are great engines, and as for people coming in with problems with them, he said it was next to nil. No more then any other newly designed vehicle engine on the lot. I never got a chance to take one out for a test drive today, hopefully tommrow. The guy said they have sold about 150 fleet 6.0L out their doors and not one came back with the so called problems everyone has with them. There were a few problems but no "big" problems everyone talks about here. Sure theres going to be a few bugs to work out, heck it is a new engine, but I would be willing to put up with a few visit's to the dealership for a otherwise trouble free truck. A lot of these problems sound like a bunch of bias Chevy and Dodge owners who can't stand to have somebody with something just a little bit better then them, and they are just looking for something to slam the 6.0L with...

The Cummins and Duramax Diesels, are all good engines as well, but i know what i like, and you know what you like...

Old 03-01-2004, 06:29 PM
King Ranch
Laughing Gas

https://www.ford-trucks.com/framered...kresource.com/
Browse thru the 3rd generation section

Last edited by King Ranch; 03-01-2004 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:11 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dodges and transmission troubles. Seems like they go hand in hand. Now another recall. Man if they can't get put transmissions
in these trucks that hold up after all these years It's time to forget Dodges. Transmission shops must be lickin their chopss
when they see a Dodge drive up to their place if they make it that far. Visited a transmission shop the other day the best thing that ever happened to them were Dodge pickups. Nice to have a great motor inyour truck. If the rest of the truck was as good. This last recall was the last straw. No Dodge for me. Between
Ford,Dodge and Chevy. Dodges have the least repeat buyers.
20% behind Ford and Chevy.
People are just fed up with these problems. Not just one year
but year after year. If Dodge wants to compete in the truck market today they better have more than the Hemi or Cummins
to win buyers over. They better have the complete truck package.
You can fool some of the people some of the time but ou can't fool them all the time. Just my thoughts. Thanks

Old 03-02-2004, 06:25 PM
Cummins 600
Freshman User
Originally posted by cummins2thecore
Any problems with Cummins 600? Nope, thats what I thought!

Git-R-Done
\

Not a single problem so far. Granted I have only had it for almost two weeks now. But I am really quite happy with it at this stage. A little better gas milage wouldn't hurt. But she purrrrrs oh so nicely.

Old 03-02-2004, 06:30 PM
Cummins 600
Freshman User
Originally posted by 150ford
Dodges and transmission troubles. Seems like they go hand in hand. Now another recall. Man if they can't get put transmissions
in these trucks that hold up after all these years It's time to forget Dodges. Transmission shops must be lickin their chopss
when they see a Dodge drive up to their place if they make it that far. Visited a transmission shop the other day the best thing that ever happened to them were Dodge pickups. Nice to have a great motor inyour truck. If the rest of the truck was as good. This last recall was the last straw. No Dodge for me. Between
Ford,Dodge and Chevy. Dodges have the least repeat buyers.
20% behind Ford and Chevy.
People are just fed up with these problems. Not just one year
but year after year. If Dodge wants to compete in the truck market today they better have more than the Hemi or Cummins
to win buyers over. They better have the complete truck package.
You can fool some of the people some of the time but ou can't fool them all the time. Just my thoughts. Thanks
I love Ford myself, so I am kinda torn on these arguments. But in regards to the tranny, I think people honestly just push the tranny to hard with that Cummins. Everybody knows you can tow quite a bit with that engine. And they do. I think a lot of people don't read their owners manuals. And as a result, they wind up with a toasted tranny. That could happen to any truck. You have to treat it as it was designed. Dodge has made some improvements though. And the newer trannys are a bit more beefed up. As far as your repeat buyer theory...I just would like to point out that I traded in my Ford F-350 for the Dodge. They are all nice trucks though. It is funny to see people get all fired up and argue about which is better. They really are all in my mind, quite comparable in terms of quality. Where I feel Ford has a leg up is in detail. They have done a wonderful job in this regard. Little things in the way the interior was designed. I do miss those things. But when you talk about the mechanics of it, they are all pretty close. All in all it is just a matter of which truck you fall in love with. I'll always love the Ford Super Duty. It's a beautiful truck. I like my Dodge too. Chevy would come in last though just on personal taste.

Last edited by Cummins 600; 03-02-2004 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:31 PM
Cummins 600
Freshman User
Originally posted by King Ranch
https://www.ford-trucks.com/framered...kresource.com/
Browse thru the 3rd generation section
If you are pointing out the recall on the tranny, this effected a very limited number of 04 models. I have a 04 and there are zero recalls on it. I checked on the Dodge website. BTW...you have a beautiful truck.

Old 03-02-2004, 08:31 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by cummins2thecore
Sorry kid, cummins worked out there problems before they actually put it in a truck unlike the others.

Git-R-Done
Oh my! Such a better truck with such a better engine that never has any problems? Somebody better let all of the people buying new trucks that they are getting ripped off and that the one-percenters were right about the new Cummins!

No offense to anyone who isn't a troll.

By the way, didn't Ford fix the issues with the 6.0? Isn't it going to be beefed up stronger than the Cummins in the fall? Watch out, cummins2thecore, Ford is going to be in front again!
Well, I shouldn't say again, because they've always been in front, but just for argument's sake, I will.

Cummins 600, I hope I don't offend you, I don't think you are a troll and I make no flames towards you in any way.

Old 03-02-2004, 08:44 PM
Cummins 600
Freshman User
It's all good Lariat. After all, I am here on a Ford site. I expect people here to love what they bought. I think you hit the nail on the head about the 05 PSD. They will beef it up and it will be the leader again. It's leap frog from here on out with the big three. Ford isn't going to be able rest on their heels like they have in the past. I loved my Ford too. I'll have one again. No question about it. But the 600 is a nice engine

Old 03-02-2004, 09:04 PM
beefman
New User
The 04 3500 4x4 with the cummins did not impress me much. The engine was quiet, but not as snappy as the 6.0. I asked the salesman what the mpg was and he said 17 unloaded and 14 loaded. As far as that goes my 03 7.3 gets 18 mpg on the interstate and 14 mpg towing. The durability of the cummins may be longer if they can keep a lift pump and injection pump in these new ones. As far as the 600 lbs of tq thats just a simple number, has anyone dynoed one of these to see a real number?

Old 03-02-2004, 09:17 PM
Cummins 600
Freshman User
I'm up to 20 on the highway with my 600.

Old 03-02-2004, 09:29 PM
beefman
New User
Cummins 600 what gears are you running? That is respectable since you are feeding a 5.9l and i'm feeding a 7.3l. It is a good engine and can be modified cheaper than the 7.3's. Stock vs stock the 7.3 would have more rwhp and tq than the pre 600's.

Old 03-02-2004, 09:32 PM
Cummins 600
Freshman User
Hi Beefman. Thats with a automatic. I'm making sure I keep it below 2000 rpm though. BTW, I had a 02 7.3 so I know where you are coming from. I loved mine too. Matter of fact, I was just looking at the site for the dealer where I traded it in. They still have her. They won't for long though.

Last edited by Cummins 600; 03-02-2004 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:58 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Didn't Ford fix the issues with the new 6.0? I thought that the new engines were updated and had no more serious issues like the first batch or two had.
Sinister73, first thing is, what you doubt about the new Powerstrokes is hardly any substantial evidence to say that Ford doesn't have the bugs worked out.

The 6.0 is not a new engine, you're right, but it is new to Ford, and just because it has been an engine before doesn't mean that it's going to work perfectly right away in any apllication that you put it in. I agree that Ford could have spent a little more time researching it, but they didn't, so that's what we have. They will get the bugs worked out, and with this fall's upgrade, they will have the most powerful engine again, like it or not.

Seriously, how many people post on a message board just to let everybody know that they haven't had any problem? Not many people at all, unless they have been provoked by something that someone has said in a post already.

As far as the Torqueshift goes, you can call it names and make fun of it all you want, it is a good transmission. I am not seeing any major problems with it, have you? How many have you seen compared to how many Dodge transmissions with problems?
It seems as if your whole post was to say that Ford is copying Chevy in amost every way. I'm sure, maybe they saw how well the Chevy held up and how many they sold and they wanted some of that action. That explains it.

Old 03-02-2004, 10:11 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i am also interested in how these new 6.0 Ltr. motors hold up also. In my town I know of 4 trucks that have these motors. When I see these guys I always ask them about ther trucks. No problems so far . They are all impresed with them. These guys wouldn't just say that either to make it look good. They would be the first to spill the beans if they had any problems. But it is still early in the game. A year from now will tell the story.
In my town I know of

Old 03-03-2004, 06:47 AM
AAFD
Junior User
Originally posted by Cummins 600
I'm up to 20 on the highway with my 600.
ANy of the current diesel will do that on the highway, Ive seen over 20 on mine just highway mileage!

KC

Quick Reply: Cummins set to take the lead?