Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New To Forums. Have some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 09:31 PM
QuickSilver
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile New To Forums. Have some questions.

Hi, I'm new to the forums here. Glad I found them! I have a question about the axles in my Excursion. The tag on the rear end reads as 3 S 410 A. I would assume the 410 means 4.10 gears, but I didn't think the Excursion could come with 4.10. Also, can I tell by this code if the axle is limited slip or not? Thanks in advace for any and all imput.

Old 02-07-2004, 01:03 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: New To Forums. Have some questions.

Originally posted by QuickSilver
.... but I didn't think the Excursion could come with 4.10. Also, can I tell by this code if the axle is limited slip or not?.
Only the 5.4L has the 4.10s available.

What code is on your door? You can tell both the ratio and presence of an LS unit by it.

Old 02-07-2004, 01:41 AM
QuickSilver
Freshman User
OK, thanks for the reply, I will get a door code of it in the morning.

Old 02-07-2004, 12:56 PM
QuickSilver
Freshman User
The door tag is a little unclear, but it seems that there is no value lining up with the field labled "AXLE". I guess this probably means no LS but I still have no idea what the actual gears are.

Old 02-07-2004, 10:35 PM
MikeRizz
Senior User
Re: New To Forums. Have some questions.

Hi, I'm new to the forums here. Glad I found them! I have a question about the axles in my Excursion. The tag on the rear end reads as 3 S 410 A. I would assume the 410 means 4.10 gears, but I didn't think the Excursion could come with 4.10. Also, can I tell by this code if the axle is limited slip or not? Thanks in advace for any and all imput.
Take another look, are you sure it does not say 3 S 4L30 ? On mine the L looked like a 1 because there was a bolt covering part of it. Once I cleaned it off and looked at it with a flashlight I could see it. Sounds like you may have the 4.30 LSD.

Old 02-08-2004, 12:27 AM
QuickSilver
Freshman User
That would sure be nice. I'll take another look. Thanks!

Old 02-08-2004, 12:43 PM
QuickSilver
Freshman User
Ok, I went out in daylight and cleaned the tag off, and this is the exact arrangement of the letters and numbers on the tag:

3 S 410 A

73 10 2 9L10

Hope someone knows what that means. If not, where else would I look for the info?

Old 02-08-2004, 07:41 PM
T- Squared
Junior User
First post on here so hello to all....No need to crawl under your truck-unless you want to.Check out the second thread in the SD/HD section.It has all the VIN codes and all the other codes listed on the sticker inside the drivers door.

Old 02-08-2004, 07:52 PM
QuickSilver
Freshman User
Thanks for the info. I already found that post, but there are no values on the door tag that match the ones shown in that thread for axle codes. I think maybe I will just take it to the ford dealer and see if they can tell me what the heck is in my truck, LOL.

Old 02-08-2004, 10:11 PM
T- Squared
Junior User
Quick,my sticker is on the pillar down by the seat controls on the drivers side.It has a bar code and various listings for wheel base,brakes,axle,etc. I was happy to find out The X we just bought has a limited slip back there!!! Should make pulling our boat out on slimy ramps a little less dramatic!!!

Old 02-08-2004, 11:00 PM
QuickSilver
Freshman User
Do you remember what the code was that you found? My door tag is in the same location, but I could not match any one of the numbers on it to one in the Decode Your Vin thread.

Old 02-09-2004, 02:31 PM
T- Squared
Junior User
Not meaning to sound condecending,but did you scroll all the way down the second page of that thread?Thats where I found the axle codes.

31=3.73...open diff
C1=3.73...lim/slip
C2=4.10...lim/slip
C3=4.30...lim/slip

turns out mine has the 3.73 with the lim/slip unit in it...

Old 02-09-2004, 04:46 PM
QuickSilver
Freshman User
Yep, I found those. Thanks anyway for trying to help. I stopped it by the ford dealer today and they had a lot of trouble finding the right codes too. Turns out it has 4.10 gears and no limited slip, or so they tell me. They figure it has no LS because they say that if it did, it would say on one of the axle tags that it requires some sort of an LS addittive for the oil. it does not say this so, well, there you have it. I dunno if they are full of crap or if they know what they are talking about.

Last edited by QuickSilver; 02-09-2004 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:55 PM
Toyman
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
if you have a V-10 it was only available with 3.73 or the 4.30. the 5.4 v-8 came with 3.73 or 4.10. The 4.10 was the only way you can get a limited slip with the v-8. If yours truly is the 4.10 I would check with a dealer near you and have them check the vin #, they can input it into a computer and tell what axles it should have come with. It is possible that a previous owner(assuming you bought it used) may have switched them out with a superduty truck. Good Luck

Toyman

Old 02-09-2004, 06:41 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I dunno if they are full of crap or if they know what they are talking about.
TOYMAN is correct and you now do not need to kow if the are full of crap of not.

Listen, I know it can be a pain in the *** to do it but you can definitivley tell if you have an LS unit by jacking up the back axle. If you read the FAQ it'll tell you how.

Plus to determine gears just simply note the speed you travel while in OD and do the mathmatical calculations or, again, refer to the FAQ in the SD section.

I'm going to wager $1 that you have a 3.73 with a LS. It is the most common rear end gear put in the Excursion Limiteds.