1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F250 Lift

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2002, 02:59 PM
stokley
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F250 Lift

Old 04-11-2002, 03:58 PM
misti430
New User
F250 Lift

Hello.... I'm a new member and have a few questions!!
I have a 2002 F250 4x4 Supercab. I will be putting a 4" lift on it in a couple months and I was wondering if anyone has put the lift on themselves. If so, can you give me some pointers?!?!
Also... I want to use the ProComp lift, but different shocks. Any feedback would be great!
I won't be doing the lift in my garage at home... I'll be doing it where I work. There will be 3 of us there, because I don't know if there's a whole lot I can do (being a girl and all!!!).

Any questions, comments, or whatever would be GREATLY appreciated.... Thanks.....

Misti

Old 04-11-2002, 04:11 PM
Yeti
Post Fiend
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
F250 Lift

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 11-Apr-02 AT 05:12 PM (EST)]Relatively an easy job, if you have access to a floor jack or two, a couple big jack stands, basic hand tools, pry bar and a pitman arm puller you can get it done in about 4 to five hours.
I just installed my 6" a couple weeks ago, by myself.
If you want detailed instructions send me a email or private message.

As far as shocks go, skyjacker, or rancho's seem to be the favorite

Old 04-11-2002, 11:05 PM
poolman
Junior User
F250 Lift

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 12-Apr-02 AT 00:06 AM (EST)]I did mine the other day. The front sping eye bolts were the toughest things to get loose.You will need a big breaker bar.I did it at my friends repair shop with it on a hoist.Its not a bad job,take your time and remember how heavy that truck is!Here are a couple of notes to remember.On the V-10 the Y pipe will interfere with the link bolt for the sway bar.loosen the link bracket from the frame then you can wiggle the bolt out.Watch your caliper bolts they will kind of work their way out as you move things around.Don't lose the pad keepers (little wire u shaped clips) they will fly out when you pull off the caliper!Go buy some mechanix gloves you will be glad you did because the new under coating stuff is everywhere and is tough to get off your hands,Go back after a week and tighten everything back up,especially your u-bolts.Good Luck your truck will look great!poolman

Old 04-12-2002, 05:04 AM
Yeti
Post Fiend
F250 Lift

Poolman,

>Watch your caliper bolts
>they will kind of work their way out as you move things
>around.Don't lose the pad keepers (little wire u shaped
>clips) they will fly out when you pull off the caliper!

What were you doing with the calipers?

Old 04-12-2002, 07:57 AM
RockyMountain250
Junior User
F250 Lift

>What were you doing with the calipers?
>
>
>*****

My thoughts exactally......

Old 04-12-2002, 01:46 PM
RichCT
Senior User
F250 Lift

I have a few questions for you. I have an '02 F-350 Crew Cab 4x4 and will be installing a 6" Skyjacker suspension lift to fit 315/75 R16 (35x12.5) BF Goodrich Mud-Terrains. I assume the Skyjacker lift is relatively the same as yours. I will be doing it myself because there is no place around here that will do it for me. With the proper tools, do you think I will be running into any problems getting the lift on??? Is there any cutting, drilling, fitment problems? My only concern is getting halfway done with installing the lift and then running into a problem and then what do I do? I just want to cover all the bases before I start the install. Anything that I should be concerned with? Any pointers? I am going to be using the Skyjacker Nitro shocks like yourself (one at each corner). Do I need to get a drop down pitman arm? With a 6" lift do I need extended brake lines? What did you use for steering stabalizer? I am thinking about going with the in-line dual Skyjacker stabalizer. Any suggestions? Sorry about all the questions but any help would be much appreciated. Also, do you have any more pics of your truck?

Thanks,
Rich

Old 04-12-2002, 01:57 PM
Yeti
Post Fiend
F250 Lift

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 12-Apr-02 AT 03:07 PM (EST)]>With the proper tools, do you
>think I will be running into any problems getting the lift
>on???

If you are mechanicaly inclined and know your way around the truck, shouldn't have any problems.

>Is there any cutting, drilling, fitment problems?

Nope, everything is a bolt on.

> My
>only concern is getting halfway done with installing the
>lift and then running into a problem and then what do I do?
>I just want to cover all the bases before I start the
>install. Anything that I should be concerned with? Any
>pointers?

Some good heavy duty, tall jack stands and it helps to have 2 floor jacks.
The only "special" tool required is a pitman arm puller, you may have to grind the puller so it will slip over your arm.
I had 2 , 1 snap-on and one generic, niether fit, so I ground the generic untill it would work.

I am going to be using the Skyjacker Nitro shocks
>like yourself (one at each corner). Do I need to get a drop
>down pitman arm? With a 6" lift

Yes, my kit included a drop pitman arm

>do I need extended brake
>lines?

Not if you are mostly street driving, the front lines are very long, you can easily bend the hard line and relocate the mounting bracket.
I left mine where it was, AND HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH LENGTH.

>What did you use for steering stabalizer?
I am
>thinking about going with the in-line dual Skyjacker
>stabalizer. Any suggestions?

I Just bolted on that exact setup today, but really didn't need to.

Sorry about all the questions
>but any help would be much appreciated. Also, do you have
>any more pics of your truck?
>

No problem, Check my galleries, just updated all my pics today, before the stabilizer install.

Let me know if you have any more questions

Old 04-12-2002, 02:12 PM
RichCT
Senior User
F250 Lift

Thanks for the responses! Do you think it is a waste of money to go with the dual in-line stabalizers? Are they also bolt on with no drilling/mods?

Also, I forgot one important question. I am still unsure about the following:

Do you recommend going with blocks in the rear, or complete new rear springs??? The blocks are obvoisly a lot cheaper, but I don't want to cut corners since it is an expensive truck to begin with. But I also don't want to waste $450 on new rear springs if I don't really need them. I will be mostly street driving with a little towing in the summer. I have a 22 foot boat that I trailer. Other than that it is pretty much my daily driver. You can e-mail me back at pazikr@kochind.com if it is easier.

Thanks,
Rich

Old 04-12-2002, 02:21 PM
misti430
New User
F250 Lift

Rich ~

I'm so happy you asked all those questions. My boyfriend was thinking the same things... about the difficulty and stuff with doing the lift. We're in the same boat as you... no one around here does lifts!!! Best of luck and let me know how your lift goes.... if you can... I'd appreciate it! We're not planning on doing ours until July, when we are on vacation, but I wanted to get a head start on planning everything.

***** ~

Thank you for all of your help as well. I'll be keeping in touch and I'll definitely post some pics when I get some taken!!

~ Misti

Old 04-12-2002, 02:21 PM
Yeti
Post Fiend
F250 Lift

>*****,
>
>Thanks for the responses! Do you think it is a waste of
>money to go with the dual in-line stabalizers? Are they
>also bolt on with no drilling/mods?

You have to cut part of the original mount off, I wouldn't of repalced mine but I'm like a crow, if its shinny and cool, I want it.

>
>Also, I forgot one important question. I am still unsure
>about the following:
>
>Do you recommend going with blocks in the rear, or complete
>new rear springs???
The blocks are obvoisly a lot cheaper,
>but I don't want to cut corners since it is an expensive
>truck to begin with. But I also don't want to waste $450 on
>new rear springs if I don't really need them.

I would recomend full springs if you can afford do it, I went with blocks due to cash flow restraints. I have no problems with them, but I don't beat on my truck either, it's mostly a street ride but I do go off road gingerly.

I will be
>mostly street driving with a little towing in the summer. I
>have a 22 foot boat that I trailer. Other than that it is
>pretty much my daily driver. >
>Thanks,
>Rich

I tow my 21 foot checkmate with no problem, also my enclosed.

Dont worry about asking questions, thats why we all come here!!

Old 04-12-2002, 02:59 PM
RichCT
Senior User
F250 Lift

Misti,

We are definitely in the same boat. Keep me updated on things. I too, won't be doing the lift for a month or so. What brand of lift are you going to get?? I pretty sure I'm gonna go with Skyjacker but I'm still doing my research.

Thanks again. I will probably go with rear blocks as well due to cash flow. How is the ride compared to when it was stock??? Also, do I really need dual stabalizers with 35" tires or will one nitro mounted in the stock location work fine? Do you notice any difference after going to duals compared to the single stock stabalizer? What gears do you have in your truck? I have a V-10 (315hp) with 4:30 gears. I assume that should be sufficient? I don't want the truck to be a dog after adding the large tires. Before this truck I had a Jeep Wrangler that I lifted four inches and put 33" tires on. It only had 3:73 gears and a four cylinder (185 hp) and was a dog over 50 mph. I don't want to run into the same situation here.

Back to the boat thing...I have a 22 foot '99 Donzi with a 502 Mercruiser that I use on Long Island Sound. It'll top out @80 mph! I love my new truck but I really really really love my boat!

Thanks again!
Rich

Old 04-12-2002, 03:58 PM
Yeti
Post Fiend
F250 Lift

How is the ride compared to when it was
>stock???

In my opinion it rides better, I was affraid to mess with such a new truck, but I was very very happy with the ride.

Also, do I really need dual stabalizers with 35"
>tires or will one nitro mounted in the stock location work
>fine? Do you notice any difference after going to duals
>compared to the single stock stabalizer?

No, I think a single would be fine, I would of left it stock but I dented mine somehow.
With duals it doesnt return to center as fast as it did with the single.

What gears do you
>have in your truck? I have a V-10 (315hp) with 4:30 gears.
>I assume that should be sufficient? I don't want the truck
>to be a dog after adding the large tires.

Hell, I running 373 v-8, but with my chip, it works out good,
I can smoke the 35's pretty good, and my 0-40 is pretty quick.
when I tow my big trailers, I use my 99psd.

>Back to the boat thing...I have a 22 foot '99 Donzi with a
>502 Mercruiser that I use on Long Island Sound. It'll top
>out @80 mph! I love my new truck but I really really really
>love my boat!
>
Sweet boat!!! My friend just restored a mid seventies Donzi, red and white with the cany cane interior, pretty cool.

I run a 92 Checkmate, 454 with a few mods, tops out about 68-69mph. I'm thinking about trading in for a 34' Velocity with twins.

Old 04-12-2002, 11:44 PM
poolman
Junior User
F250 Lift

When you do the drop bracket you need a little exta slack to move the axle around so you have to move the caliper away from the mounting bracket and wire it up so you don't stretch the hose too much.The bolts go into the caliper pin and they kind of want to creep out on you,poolman

Old 04-13-2002, 08:50 AM
Yeti
Post Fiend
F250 Lift

I didn't touch my calipers when I did my lift, I had two floor jacks on either side of the axle, just lowered it down as much as possible, slid my springs in with no problems.

Quick Reply: F250 Lift