Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

is the Tian really better ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 02:13 PM
grey77
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is the Tian really better ?

I had myself convinced to buy an '04 F150, then I test drove the Titan. Man, does that babby haul butt. It jumps when you stomp the accelerator. Now, the F150 feels almost under powered, in comparison, but that can't be ture, can it? There are now several magazine articles recently out that test all the full size trucks - 4-dr, largest avail. engine, 4x4, ... , and the Titan wins. Fords low end torque and relatively flat torque curve vs. Titan's bell shaped curve has got to mean something, doesn't it.
If is sound like I'm a bit panicky, well, I guess I am.
Any reasuring statements, facts, information right about now would really help.
I want a crewcab, 4x4 to haul the occasional 6,000lb camper, 3,500lb boat and do some mudding (Louisiana).

Old 02-04-2004, 03:06 PM
shakemyspeare
Senior User
The F150 isn't underpowered, just overweight. Add 600lbs onto the body of a Titan and it would be running neck and neck with the Ford.

I think Nissan did well in the Car and Driver comparison because it had the qualities that <i>car</i> enthusiasts like/want. Things like speed, handling, comfort and just all around performance. Truck people don't necessarily look for those qualities or if they do, they place greater importance on other factors like durability, towing, payload, etc. Yes, the Titan 'won' the comparison test, but you've got to take a look at who's doing the testing and what sorts of things they're looking for.

Old 02-04-2004, 03:22 PM
sinjin
Posting Guru
Re: is the Tian really better ?

Originally posted by grey77
I had myself convinced to buy an '04 F150, then I test drove the Titan. Man, does that babby haul butt. It jumps when you stomp the accelerator. Now, the F150 feels almost under powered, in comparison, but that can't be ture, can it? There are now several magazine articles recently out that test all the full size trucks - 4-dr, largest avail. engine, 4x4, ... , and the Titan wins. Fords low end torque and relatively flat torque curve vs. Titan's bell shaped curve has got to mean something, doesn't it.
If is sound like I'm a bit panicky, well, I guess I am.
Any reasuring statements, facts, information right about now would really help.
I want a crewcab, 4x4 to haul the occasional 6,000lb camper, 3,500lb boat and do some mudding (Louisiana).
I'll be driving one too. The early reports all sound very good.
Apparently the least expensive as well. I might still buy a Superduty but if I go 1/2T who knows.

Old 02-04-2004, 04:22 PM
jcreality
Senior User
I hear all the comments about the Titan "jumping" when the throttle is pressed.
YUP, I experienced the same DIFFERENCE when test driving it compared with the F150. And I too, thought "WHOA!"
I too, was impressed. To answer the bell-type output thru the rev band......yeah man, if all you plan to do is normal driving with your truck, that can be a great thing. Much more like a car. The Titan loves to take off hard, and provide 'feel' of quite a bit of torque (I'm not saying by "feel" that it doesn't, but you surely 'feel' it more than in the new F150). Comparing these trucks side by side, as far as the engines go, in an on-the-lot new truck.....the titan's engine does feel meatier.

Counterpoint: If you're using the truck for all a truck is CAPABLE of....yeah, they both have similar tow ratings, etc.... but that "flat" band of output you may tend to think is not good....well actually, that in-and-of-itself is WHY some people will prefer the Ford's engine. It is VERY very smooth, and yes.......powerful. Also, I've not witnessed this part personally, >>>but owners of the new 5.4L 3v claim that after 500 miles of break-in, the engine *somehow* transforms into something MUCH (and very noticeable) stronger, meaner, tougher, and robust. What I'D like to do, is test the trucks....each with 1000 miles on them. From what I'm hearing, I no longer am certain that would be all that much of a "feel" difference after the engines have been properly broken-in. (some think that Ford has it programmed to have the engine hold back until the proper seating of seals, and other engine components before being unleashed......never heard of this before, but I'm not so closed-minded to call it impossible.)

I could go on for sure , but maybe this much will help answer some of the questions above, or others you may have had.

For me? The Titan is NOT a consideration. Impressive first impression....but I've dated enough women to know that there is MUCH more importance than just what I thought in the initial moments I encountered it. If the Titan was cuter or sexier, I STILL wouldn't be swayed, but I have my OWN reasons. Kind of like commitment, mine will go with the overall best truck, IMHO, that does over-all THE very best!

F150 for me......order up!

Last edited by jcreality; 02-04-2004 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:07 PM
sinjin
Posting Guru
jcreality,

So the moral of your analogy is to go with the fat chick because she's true blue even though her reputation and reliability might be questionable. Did I get that about right?

I think I'm getting aggressive without a P.P. to blow off steam.
You know I'm just funning ya.

Last edited by sinjin; 02-04-2004 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:45 PM
jcreality
Senior User
LOL.........THAT is funny.

Even the most-off conclusions can be humorous!

I know man....I'm a little edgy today too, cuz I failed an important test for my profession by TWO questions!

I *guess* I'll play with the analogy a little bit, although I would have otherwise thought, Mister P.P. Lacker, that it would have sufficed as it were!

What I was MEANING, so to speak, Is that I want one who is reliable, predictable, stable, tough-yet-supple, ready for anything I am in the mood for, has a rigid body, can handle a load, doesn't lose her shape when I drive her hard, can effortlessly pull more than her own weight if need-be, has a hidden mysterious-bliss beneath her skin that only I enjoy, isn't going to cost me too much in high-maintenance expenses, and looks mighty fine wrapped around me!

Is that Better? Putz. Ha ha ha

You should pick up racquetball or something, it's an effective vent for ME when my relationships aren't living up to expectations!!! hehehe

Last edited by jcreality; 02-04-2004 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:51 PM
sinjin
Posting Guru
I'm investigating joining a Kendo dojo. New meaning for whacking to relieve stress.

Old 02-04-2004, 05:52 PM
jcreality
Senior User
what was the OLD meaning sinjin?

(hey, you missed my updated version of the analogy, go read it! )

Old 02-04-2004, 08:42 PM
grey77
Senior User
jcreality, I like your outlook. My gut says Ford, but because both the Ford and the Titan are so new neither has any history to draw from, expect the rep of Ford. All we have to evaluate each truck is what's published (trying to read btwn the lines), but more importantly, is the feedback from new owners.

Old 02-05-2004, 12:45 AM
jcreality
Senior User
yeah grey.....
Just realize within that feedback is a LOT of emotion. Why? Cuz LOTS of friggen personal MONEY and time to pay it off over following MONTHS is dumped into 'em.
Of course: If you come to a Ford website, you're gonna hear that the F150, overall, is undisputable......Go to a Titan site, and you'll hear about smoke pouring into the cabin from electrical fires.....oh wait....ha ha.....you'll hear a little of that ANYWHERE. [so Titan lovers, please relax, I'm just kidding. Please put that crescent wrench back in that behind-the-tire cubby hole....my truck runs just fine without it! ha ha *winx*]

But I would venture to *bet* that if we sat down for a cup of coffee, or over a HUGE bowl of stew that I'd sell you on the Ford for sure~~and they don't even pay me commissions! LOL

Kidding, but just take into consideration from whence you receive your "feedback". It's tough to keep out of the emotional side of it, but the more you can avoid it, the better off you'll likely be.

Personally, I succombed to overwhelming emotion long ago, I just can't decide which Ford dealer I'm going to write the mondo-chunk-o' money off to!

Old 02-05-2004, 02:47 AM
towboat
Senior User
"Is the Titan really better"

NO

Posted by Grey77...
had myself convinced to buy an '04 F150, then I test drove the Titan. Man, does that babby haul butt. It jumps when you stomp the accelerator. Now, the F150 feels almost under powered
If acceleration is what you want get the Lightning.

Old 02-05-2004, 09:28 AM
sinjin
Posting Guru
If Ford made a CC lightning I'd look at it.

Old 02-05-2004, 07:30 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will say this: with the F-150 and the Titan, you've at least narrowed it down to the 2 best. GM, Dodge, Toyota: they now have a couple years to play catch-up. Strange part about the business I'm in, it doesn't leave any time to check out the competition! I only get to do that at the auto shows, and they get a little cranky when you try to drive them out of the convention center for a little spin around the block.
So, I'm not about to knock the Titan because I haven't even SEEN one yet. On the other hand, I hope you're not coming to a FORD site looking for sympathy on an IMPORT pickup truck. You know THAT ain't gonna happen!
I know in my area the Titan is going for MSRP. A recent customer of mine looked at them, and the BEST he could do among the 3 dealers in the area was $200 off STICKER. We're selling the F-150 for $200 BELOW INVOICE. You've got to buy a truck you're going to be happy with, but that kind of difference is helping me sell a fair number of F-150s.

Old 02-05-2004, 07:59 PM
grey77
Senior User
No, 1956MarkII, actually I hoping to get rescued. My gut is telling me to go Ford, but my naturally cautious (at times) nature is causing me to at least check out one other "truck".
Thanks for the confidence boost. I guess when it comes down to it the green ($$) does have something to say.

Old 02-05-2004, 08:52 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can feel comfortable with the Ford. Just think, 5 years down the road if you bought a Nissan, that dealer could be out of business which means you would have to look elsewhere for parts and service (non-dealer shops). Ford has a large enough dealer network that you can find parts and certified service just about anywhere.

Quick Reply: is the Tian really better ?