Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

is the Tian really better ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 11:06 PM
19903024x4
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm all about ford and chevy...between the 2 automakers i can pretty much get anything. i'v never ever had a problem with either of my trucks.......i don't care if they arn't the fastest thing on the road....they get the job done with no problem.

Old 02-25-2004, 10:24 AM
TufNuf
New User
RKW,

I read the article including the part about the Titan beating the F-150 in the 1/4 mile. I also remember it said the F-150 was the truck to have in just about every other area, ride, fit & finish, quiet, payload, etc. You can take a ride yourself and see that. I know a lot of people with pickup trucks, but don't know any that actually race them. Is that what you want to spend $30,000 on--to beat stock F-150s in the 1/4 mile. You'd better hope the F-150 isn't fitted with a blower. If beating stock F-150s is your only pleasure and you don't mind a truck not as good in other areas and ugly enough to make a train take a gravel road, the Titan may be the one for you.

If you really want to experience fast, save a few thousand and buy just about any motorcycle.

Old 02-27-2004, 10:56 AM
RKW
New User
TufNuf,

I own a Ford truck now and I'll be buying another new F-150 within 2-3 years. I've waited a long time for a quite-interior truck to come along and the Nissan is fast but it's not that quite or any better at towing the the F-150.

Old 02-29-2004, 07:17 AM
grey77
Senior User
RKW, you say, "... the Nissan is fast but it's not that quite or any better at towing the the F-150."

Just wondering if you have some particular information - because I heard (hear-say) that the Nissan's max. towing cap. is kinda bogus (I'm looking for a crewcab) and that it's actually lower than that. Something about manipulating the GVWR (assuming only the driver w/ no gear) to allow for the high tow rating. But, like I said, that's just what I heard, I believe it was on a RV website forum.

That's why some personal accounts posted here would really help this topic.

Old 03-25-2004, 11:56 AM
makealoop
Freshman User
I'm waiting for the IIHS to release the Titan's crash test results at highwaysafety.org. Ford reimbursed IIHS to hurry up the process. They probably did their own crash test prior and knew it was going to get a best pick.

Old 03-25-2004, 03:53 PM
fatman66
Senior User
I test drove both trucks (as well as the Tundra and Dodge HEMI) before I settled on ordering an F-150. The Titan had pickup but seemed really jerky to me, not smooth at all. I don't have that much against foreign trucks, my second choice was a Tundra, so I'm not that biased. The Titan looks really stupid, in fact most Nissan vehicles do so I'm not surprised (fugly Xterra) and the build quality didn't impress me, cheap looking and feeling. I took all factors into comparison (HP, torque and acceleration were just three of many) and overall the F-150 was the best of the bunch, in my humble opinion. Competition is a good thing, but until Nissan does something about that damn butt ugly styling, I couldn't drive one of those Titans even if it could fly and unload itself for me. It does have a few nice inovations though, like the storage spaces and the factory spray in (but that can't be better than a line-x). Also, the titan is selling for much closer to MSRP, so Ford, Chevy/GMC, and Dodge are better values and allow much more customization.

Old 03-26-2004, 08:25 AM
grey77
Senior User
What attracts me to the Titan are the "neat" features - there's actually space under the rear seats, the rear quarter panel storage compartment, the E-Locker (very nice add on), but the dirve, comfort and especially the torque curve pull me back to the Ford.

Man, if Ford would offer an E-Locker as an option, and lengthen the bed (screw) to 6.5ft. and have some storage space, I think they'd have a "home run".

Old 03-26-2004, 09:53 AM
dogpound
New User
i dont know how long ago this thread started but in response to 1956MarkII saying that a titan couldnt be had for anything but sticker or maybe a couple hundred less, just bought one for 300 UNDER invoice. even the high offers were only 200 to 600 over invoice. the key to any good dealer negotiations is www.fightingchance.com . it costs 35 to 40 bucks and it will save you THOUSANDS 'O DOLLARS. im not going to go into the whole ford vs. titan thing b/c to each his own. ive owned several nissans and fords so for me it was a reliability and service issue along w/ towing up to 9500 lbs if i want to. it doesnt matter what kind of new vehicle your going to buy, if you want to save A LOT of money (who doesnt) spend a little time and use the fighting chance program. i dont work for them but ive used it twice and i save over 4 grand off sticker each time.

Old 03-30-2004, 03:53 AM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sounds like it would be an awesome deal if you could save that much every time.

Old 04-06-2004, 08:11 PM
michael perrault
Freshman User
Bottom line, the nissan would have to be faster, cause I wouldn't want to be seen driving such an ugly truck. Hopefully it's fast enough so no one would see how ugly it is. On the other hand, the new F150 is beautiful. Chevy,Dodge, even Toyota trucks aren't even good looking. Have you seen the Tundra stepside? What were they thinking? New Dodge trucks gross New Chevy trucks UGLY And if you want to talk reliability, I had a 2000 Frontier (superugly) that spent more time at the dealer getting fixed than in my driveway. Finally I got tired of looking at it and bought a Ranger. Handsome truck, and problem-free after 68000 miles. IMO F150 all the way,baby!!!!

Old 04-06-2004, 08:35 PM
sinister73
Elder User
fatman66; I agree with you.

dogpound; Thats good information, and I wish you luck with your Titan.

FordLariat; I agree, but even 4000.00 in savings could not make me want one.

MP; All of this in your own opinion of course, which is different from my own.
Yes Chevy trucks have some awful looking front ends. GMC's are nice though.
Yes Dodge's new front grill took me some time to get used to myself. I now consider it the BEST looking half ton truck, and very close to the Super Duty in aesthetics, but notice this - IMO.
The new F150 looks nice in some trims/configurations, and that huge bed took quite a bit of getting used to as well.
I agree the Titan looks terrible, as do all Nissan vehicles IMO, so here's a viable question for you. Why did you buy one?

Old 04-06-2004, 09:08 PM
michael perrault
Freshman User
I bought my Nissan because I thought it would be a reliable truck, and a comparable Toyota was about $2500 more. Unfortunately it was not only unreliable it was virtually undriveable with the 5 speed manual tranny. I will never buy another Nissan.

Old 04-06-2004, 09:36 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't buy one regardless of what I got back, either, sinister73.

Old 04-07-2004, 11:25 AM
hendrix89
Junior User
First off ..NEVER and I MEAN NEVER buy the first year model. They have alot to get all of those kinks out!! I bought the last year of the old model 03 ford. They had alot of years to work things out. I like Nissan but it still looks like a small pickup with some steroids.. If you want a true tested in the fields for a work truck and a nice looking truck not a little truck. please go to your Ford truck dealer....and by the way I got my truck from $30,000.00 sticker price to $20,000.00. $200.00 off of sticker they better give me a kiss after that!!

Old 04-07-2004, 11:55 AM
ktmguy70
Elder User
Ya know

I KINDA like the looks of the Titan but im not completely sold on it..
But it does offer some features I prefer, and would like to see available on some of fords offerings, Mainly the electronic locking differential option..
Motor seems decent from what I have read, Not outstanding, but pretty darn good.. Good tires and Ground Clearance..
I'd ALMOST have to swallow my pride and say the big three should take a few lessons off of the TITAN.... ALMOST that is..

Quick Reply: is the Tian really better ?