General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Almost Got a Ticket From the Sherriffs Deputy Last Night

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 08:27 AM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Almost Got a Ticket From the Sherriffs Deputy Last Night

It was a long day at work yesterday. Then I spent three hours in school right after work. It was getting late, and I was kinda in a hurry to get home before my son was put to bed. I was on the two lane road in the middle of the country, coming up the hill. The speed limit is 50mph and most of the time the flow of traffic is around 60mph. I wasn't really paying attention to my speedo or tach. As soon as I come to the top of the hill I see the white car and reflective stickers on the side. He had his lights off....sneaky. I instinctively take the foot off the pedal and check my speed. Dropping from 55 to 54..53...52... He comes up on my butt. Rides for a few seconds and flips the lights on. We pull over and he tells me the speed limit on that road is 50mph and he clocked me at 60mph. I look down at the speedo and instead of arguing or trying to give him a lame excuse, just say 'Okay'. He checks my license and insurance and sits in his car for what seemed like forever. Comes back in about 20minutes. I sit there listening to Don McLean..."bye bye Miss American Pie...." He comes up to the window and asked for my current phone number. Then says, "I'm just gonna give you a warning tonight." Whew, pucker factor has substantially dropped at this point. Then as I'm signing the paperwork, he asks "So did you do all the work on this truck yourself?" I grinned and told him that the previous owner did about half and I did about half, and that it used to be an old farm truck if you could believe it. Then he gives me my copy of the paperwork and tells me to have a good night. Whew! I drove the rest of the way home watching my speed more carefully. I wonder if he would have given me a ticket if I was driving something besides my restored bright red 78 F150?

Old 02-04-2004, 12:45 PM
Andysutt
Postmaster
Congrats on getting off, but be more careful

Old 02-04-2004, 01:41 PM
AegisSailor
Elder User
A lot of cops are ex-military, so I be sure that my military ID "just happens" to be covering my drivers license so I have to pull both out at once.

Old 02-04-2004, 01:57 PM
Mike W
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't been stopped in................35? years.

Old 02-04-2004, 02:38 PM
BVFD1983
Senior User
Last night a cop stopped by the firehouse and he was saying how people say "I'm an ex-blah blah blah from Vietnam, WW2, etc." and he said that means nothing at all to most cops.

Old 02-04-2004, 02:45 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Ya, I was lucky. Haven't had a ticket since I first got my license about 12 years ago. (Knock on wood.)

That military id thing sounds tempting. It might work better in states where the communities really support the military. (like here in Oklahoma) Other wise I wouldn't expect any special treatment from the local or state police.

Old 02-04-2004, 02:47 PM
Andysutt
Postmaster
No offense... but sure they may have served in a war, in the military, etc... but that doesn't give them the right to speed or put other people's life on the line.
Sure, I appreciate them, and sure I speed sometimes, but not a ton....
but I wouldn't let a person go if they served in the military
Especially if it was a serious offense.
Sure maybe a 3 or 4 mph over, but in that case... I prob wouldn'tve pulled them over to start with

Old 02-04-2004, 03:32 PM
fordman428
Posting Guru
i got pulled over doing 77mph in a 55mph zone, lucky i new the cop he let me off with a warning. it pays off to know all the cops in my surrounding area, im glad i live in a little town.

Old 02-05-2004, 04:00 AM
Brian_Puff
Senior User
one of the things about being military is we are always being looked at. no matter what we do we are always expeceted more of than (on offence guys) civilians.

last year one of our guys got drunk and rearended a lady and her daughter. he almost killed the mother and his passenger (which was his cousin i believe). when the media got word of this, it wasnt just an accident blah blah blah... it was an airman from fairchild did this. a military member did that. it was on every staiton for a few days.

if it had just been another drunk driver it would have just been said on the radio that there is an accident so you'll have to go around... the fact of the mother and cousin in serious condition would maybe have been briefly mentioned.

needless to say this guys airforce carear is over. imagine if you got a dui or underage drinking and your boss finds out about it. (which he will, he always does)
not only does he make you give him money, but he also puts you through a mandatory AA class, takes your last raise(which is about an extra 100 bucks a month) and doesnt let you drive to work for the next year... oh yeah.. and if you are late, thats more money you'll pay him, and he takes the raise you earned before that. (another 100 bucks a month) you'd probabaly hate your job and say somthing to the effect of this isnt any buisness of my boss....and want to quit...

i'm not saying we should have special rights.... i'm not saying that at all. I think anybody who gets behind the wheel under the influence should have the book thrown at them. they should loose their license, their car get towed and spend a 'lil time in jail.

the one an only time i got pulled over up here i dont think the cop let me off b/c the AF base is the only reason why this town is on the map.
-i dont think its because if for some reason they closed the base this cop would loose his job.
-and i dont think it was because the majority of cops have a military background.
i think i got let off because i was honest with him. he asked if i knew why i'd been pulled over and i said i was speeding. he asked did i know how fast, and i said about 65 or so. (speedlimit 55) he told me 63, then asked what the hurry was. i told him we only had 45 minutes for chow, and then i had to get back to work, so i was just trying to get there a little quicker
i didnt i pull the military card, but its more than obvious when you see a truck with mississippi tags in washington and the driver is in BDU's

sorry yall for posting such a long post. i got all caught up in my stories again

Old 02-05-2004, 05:46 PM
mundt
Senior User
Thumbs up cigarxtc

Used up some luck, didn't you? A long time ago, drove semi's, figured the worst thing was to fall in the clutches of a southern sherriff. Fast forward a couple of decades, going to an out of the way area in the Louisiana boonies, following another semi, he knew where he was going, I didn't. We had gotten separated in the last big town prior to where we were going. I was playing catch up as we were leaving town, saw the lights, it was a sherriff's car. He turned out to be a nice guy, gave me a talking to, some words of advice about the drug trafficing in the area and turned me loose. I had to return thru the same town, I was the "legalest" little semi you ever saw. Still think of it today, and thank my lucky stars. You know, in a million miles in a semi, I always found the state cops to be thoroughly professional, the city cops as a rule didn't bother you, and the sherriffs deputies, while most were very professional, you could get some real---whats a nice word to use here? Some of them were not that.

Mundt

Old 02-05-2004, 07:10 PM
acerockola77
Posting Guru
I got pulled over doin 51 in a 35, he was a really nice guy, talked to me about sports for a little bit, then warned me to keep it down. I really can't complane about cops, because the ones around here have been nothing but helpful and nice to deal with to me.

Old 02-05-2004, 07:36 PM
92lightning
Senior User
I got pulled over a few years back on my Harley. Iwas doing about 70 in a 55.I knew I had a chance when his first question was "is that a 72?". Twenty minutes later he gave me a warning and let me go. The only time I ever got a ticket on the bike was for no cycle indorsement.

Old 02-05-2004, 07:51 PM
phatpharm85
Elder User
Alright I have to say is that the cops around here very widely, its a love-hate relationship with em, and that I get pulled over for the dumbest reasons and they usually bill me the highest.
my only inccident's consist of:

I rear ended someone going down hill doing 25mph on a very wet, dark, crappy night(traffic stopped quick and I just slid, pretty far I might add), the cop gives me a verbal warning and is real nice, he even joked with me about my "stuff" happens sticker on my back window!

A light turns yellow as I go under it and the cops an idiot, gives me a whole schpeel about how he's just trying to keep the roads safe blah blah blah, and gives me a 75 dollar ticket.

I was pulling across two east bound lanes were traffic is heavy and moving at 45-50 mph to get into the west bound lane and when my truck hit the sand in the middle of the road the rear end got a little loose(not uncontroable) after I cleared the east bound lanes I drove easy and didn't speed, a cop was sitting almost a 1/4 mile away, pulles me over, gives me a horrible attitude and gives me a 93 dollar ticket!!!! He asked me what that stunt was and said that I made an unsafe start from a stopped position! Then he pulls a U turn in the middle of this main road in the middle of busy traffic, and calls me a traffic hazard!!

None of the times did I give a bad attitude to em. I was real nice and polite, the usual yes sir no sir stuff, hoping that the politness would help alittle. There gonna start putting cameras at interesctions around here and decrease the yellow light times so that they can catch more people and bring more revenue in.

Oh in case your wondering I paid the yellow light one and I'm currently fighting the unsafe start from a stopped posistion, I have yet to hear back on it.

Last edited by phatpharm85; 02-05-2004 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:02 PM
Brian_Puff
Senior User
ok, yall might call me an idiot and i am unsafe to drive anymore when i ask this.....

what exactly is the problem with driving through a yellow light??? from what i learned in drivers ed yellow just means it's about to turn red and if you can stop, do so.... if you cant keep going. now that doesnt mean if the light is yellow and your on the point of no return and you have to decide right now.... gun it- i'm not saying that.

but what is illegal about running a yellow light.???????

btw, i would have fought both of them....

Old 02-05-2004, 08:14 PM
8996EBBroncos
Elder User
Originally posted by Brian_Puff
ok, yall might call me an idiot and i am unsafe to drive anymore when i ask this.....

what exactly is the problem with driving through a yellow light??? from what i learned in drivers ed yellow just means it's about to turn red and if you can stop, do so.... if you cant keep going. now that doesnt mean if the light is yellow and your on the point of no return and you have to decide right now.... gun it- i'm not saying that.

but what is illegal about running a yellow light.???????

btw, i would have fought both of them....
Not a thing as long as you have crossed the intersection before the light turns red.

Quick Reply: Almost Got a Ticket From the Sherriffs Deputy Last Night