1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Bad fuel mileage 5.8L

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 04:32 AM
paradiddle
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad fuel mileage 5.8L

Recently my van's mileage has dropped from 13-14 to about 9-10.

I pulled codes and the only one I got was 33. (EGR).

Is that the problem?

Old 02-03-2004, 02:46 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, that can cause it to run bad.. Which will make it burn more fuel. I would also replace the o2 sensor.

Old 02-03-2004, 06:30 PM
paradiddle
Senior User
I was going to do that to. (O2 sensor) wouldn't I get a code if the O2 was bad or reading lean?

I know from testing that the egr valve is good but the EVR solenoid circuit doesn't respond.

I have tried various junk yard solenoids but the same thing happens.

I am sure I am getting a code 33 because the EGR is not opening at all.

Old 02-04-2004, 01:28 AM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Once it sets one code the computer goes into "fail safe" mode, burns full rich and ignores all sensors. So if there is another problem it will not detect it until the first one is fixed.... That one of the drawbacks of the EEC-IV

Old 02-04-2004, 07:17 PM
paradiddle
Senior User
Are the EVR solenoids very specific for each model or can I use any that have same plug , shape , etc.

The previous fell victim to a heat meltdown so I went to the junkyard and pulled a couple out of different Fords. I didn't have a problem previous.

Old 02-04-2004, 09:14 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
I'm pretty sure it is the same sensor across the board regardless of engine size. You could check the part numbers on the autozone website...

Old 02-05-2004, 09:19 PM
paradiddle
Senior User
That's a cool parts locator. They didn't have a listing for me though. Nor did my local parts store.

Old 02-06-2004, 01:35 AM
pfogle
Lead Driver
It may be a dealer only part.... You could also try www.advanceautoparts.com

Last edited by pfogle; 02-06-2004 at 01:44 AM.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:05 AM
sc93f
Junior User
On my 5.0L, my mileage improved after replacing the EGR, O2 sensor, and the throttle position sensor. I think there were codes for the TPS and EGR.

Old 02-07-2004, 09:38 AM
Knightmayre
Senior User
The EGR is the same, but from experience the EVR (the grey plastic bit that fits on top) is not the same: they give out different voltages.

I'm having the same problem (along with a thermactor failure).

I want to pull the themactor system, blank the EGR & once I've worked out what the EVR should tell the computer I'll emulate that too (cos I'm a cheap ******* & don't want to pay that dude that makes them for the 5.0 Tangs.)

Would appreciate pro's & con's.

(PS Got the van inspected yesterday, took them 3 minutes! Dude just laughed when I told him my cats were in the dumpster LOL)

Old 02-07-2004, 09:45 AM
Knightmayre
Senior User
Forgot to mention

Have also changed:

O2 sensor
ACT sensor
Temp sensor
Fuel Pressure Regulator
Injectors (Bosch Design Tech IIIs)
Throttle Position Sensor
Idle Air Control Valve
Thermostat (that was a PITA: I ended up having to remove the manifold)
Lifters
Wires (Bosch), cap & rotor & Bosch Platinum +4's (I won't use anything else now)
I also turned the end of the airbox upside down, and hooked it up to a hood scoop.

Am now adding a home-grown circuit to the 02 sensor so that it will sample faster, but also give me the option to skew the readings a little so the engine will lean itself out more.

I get 12mpg, but I do floor it almost everywhere, simply because it sounds so damn good!

Old 02-07-2004, 09:53 AM
paradiddle
Senior User
Check out some of the links on egr blocking or restrictor plate. I could see the removal of air pump for HP gain. Probably could run an electric fan to remove the mechanical fan while you are at it.

I don't think you want to block it on a 302. think of this. the ECU needs to see EGR movement to satisfy the EVP. So you don't want to pull the EGR system.

If you block or restrict the EGR then ox sensor will try to compensate for a rich condition (the EGR leans out the mix). I have been told that these engines run rich any way so the EGR block will make it too rich and may be out of range to compensate. ( i'm not too sure about this).

The straight sixes have a problem with too much egr and some people use a restrictor plate ( like an EGR gasket with a smaller hole). You may try to experimnet with this. I actually made a stainless restrictor plate but didn't use after I got the above info.

I'm spending the day messing with this EVR to get rid of that code 33

Old 02-07-2004, 10:02 AM
paradiddle
Senior User
I have upgraded to Ford SS shorty headers, hi flow cat and a cheapo round muffler that seems to have less baffling. (It's noticeably louder). I would have like duals or maybe a Gibson cat back.

K&N filter, removed restrictions in air box and added a 4" flex elbow for a semi-ram under hood. I have tried to bump timing up and run premium gas so that I had more pulling power but it costs a lot more $$$. (20-.30c a gallon). So I went back to std timing and reg gas. I had to replace some of the injectors after my meltdown. I used some 5.0 Mustang take-offs from five-0 motorsports (which I understand are exactly the same). Nicer idle now.

Old 02-07-2004, 10:18 AM
Knightmayre
Senior User
My injectors are the ones with the 4 tiny holes in them, rather than the older type pintle arrangements. They're still 19lbs.
When you say 5-0 motorsports, are you talking about Bruce from the company of the same name? I got my injectors from him after a long discussion.

Mine is certainly running rich: my tailpipes are black.
My EVR sender is the wrong one, but the part numbers on my original are illegible. I was figuring the PCM wasn't getting proper info from the EVR (although the EGR works), which is why I wanted to fake it & throw the rest away which would also mean I could blank off the EGR itself.

I'm open to suggestions, esp from someone who has done it, as it seems the more I research this, the more different answers I get.

Please let me (us) know what you find out

Old 02-07-2004, 10:41 AM
paradiddle
Senior User
Yup Bruce at five-o

Quick Reply: Bad fuel mileage 5.8L