Sponsored by: DP Tuner

STILL hard to start and will not stay running

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 07:36 PM
glowBugs
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation STILL hard to start and will not stay running

Here is the story: My hubby has a 2001 Powerstoke F350. One afternoon he put 1/4 of a gal of Power Service in the fuel. Since the roads were too bad to get out on, he just moved the truck back and forth to help move the PS in the fuel. He left the truck running for about 45 min (it did warm up and melted off the 1/4" of ice). The next morning he added another 1/4 gal of PS to the fuel. When he started the truck, it cranked longer than normal, but did start. He got about 10 miles down the road and the truck died, just as if the key was turned off. He had his beauty towed home.

After searching the web, I found you guys! Thank you for being here.

Through FTE he learned what to check for. He checked all the fuses, glowplugs and the fuel pump shut-off switch - these were all ok. He drained the fuel filter/water separator and put in a new fuel filter. Fuel does come into the fuel filter.

He put on a new CPS - cranked but would not start till he used ether. (I know, I know, a NO NO - but you know a man is gonna do, what a man is gonna do!) After about 40 min, the truck died, again just as if the key was turned off. He finally put in two new batteries! Once again, it would not start without ether and runs for about 40 min and then quits.

So here I am asking if anyone has any other suggestions?

Appreciate all replies!

GlowBugs

Old 02-02-2004, 09:15 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
That really is odd. Has he made any progress whatsoever?

Old 02-02-2004, 09:27 PM
glowBugs
New User
Well, the only thing I can say is.....the truck now has several new things on it!

I still wonder if it is the CPS? Maybe he got a bad one.....

Everyone feels the truck somehow stops getting fuel?

At this point, it is anyone's guess!

Also, where can we get get a diagram of 2001 engine? I got a Ford Motor Company 2001-2002 Workshop Info CD off of eBay, but really can't tell heads nor tails what is what here.

Checked at the library and no luck there either with the Chilton manual.

Thanks,
GlowBugs

Old 02-02-2004, 09:39 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How cold is it? Is the truck sitting outside?

Old 02-02-2004, 09:47 PM
glowBugs
New User
This has been going on for two weeks now.....during that time the temp has been anywhere from the low 40s to the chill factor being -8.

Yes, it sits outside. He does plug in the heater several hours before he tries to start it.

Just wonder too, the security system has not been working properly.....just a thought?

Thanks,

BlowBugs

Old 02-03-2004, 06:40 AM
jharvey3
Elder User
glowBugs

Does the Wait To Start light come on? My reason for asking this seemingly stupid question is that when my brothers fuel heater went south instead of blowing the #22 fuse under the hood it popped one in the dash. He has a '99 F-250 SD. After disconecting the fuel heater and replacing the fuse all was well again. I may be way off on this but just something to check.

John

Old 02-03-2004, 03:39 PM
glowBugs
New User
Hi John,

Thanks for this information. My hubby says the "wait to start" light does come on. He does plan on checking the fuses again.

Right now I am in the process of trying to get someone from the Hornet company to see if something was wrong with the auto security system - if this could shut the truck down. It was NOT working right before all this started, so who knows?!

This has been a joy ride I'll tell you!

Thanks again,

GlowBugs

Old 02-03-2004, 05:38 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This has been going on for two weeks now.....during that time the temp has been anywhere from the low 40s to the chill factor being -8.
These two thing may be related. All the Power service he added will keep the fuel from gelling, but will do nothing to keep water from freezing. If he got a tankfull of contaminated fuel (water) it's possible that ice particles are collecting in the screen in the fuel pump and restricting fuel flow.

The fuel pump is mounted in the frame rail below the drivers door if he wants to pull the inlet line and inspect the screen.

I know you know, but ether and glowplugs can have literally explosive results. I'd hate for him to trash a $10,000 engine trying to get it to start.

Old 02-03-2004, 10:59 PM
glowBugs
New User
Thanks for the tip. My hubby says that fuel is getting to the fuel filter because when he takes the fuel filter out and turns the key on the fuel comes in and runs over......the day before the truck started acting up, he put a full tank of fuel in from the Shell station...sooner or later I figure he might have to drain the tank or do whatever he need to and see if he got bad fuel??? This is my thoughts, he has yet to say anything about this.

Here is a question directly from him:

As your standing in front of the truck, facing the engine, there are two relays in the center of the engine on the left side of the fuel filter. Which one is for the glowplugs and what does the other control? The relay on the front of the engine - the battery feed post is hot, the two small posts on top of the relay are hot with the key on and the other big post is NOT hot, where do these wires go to and what are they for.

The relay towards the firewall, all posts are hot with the key on. Which relay is this for.

Thanks again!!

GlowBugs

Old 02-04-2004, 01:07 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
This may be unsubstantiated but, I've heard that for some reason water ends up in Shell's fuels. It also doesn't take much for it to freeze. So that in and of itself may be your problem to begin with. Does your husband or whoever always fill up at shell?

Old 02-04-2004, 05:52 PM
rwm
New User
I've seen this set up. the front relay is for the intake heater.

Old 02-04-2004, 05:57 PM
rwm
New User
I'm sorry .Didnt finish. The rear relay is the glow plug relay. The front relay is for the intake heater. Usually the glowplug relay is shorter than the intake heater relay.

Old 02-04-2004, 06:50 PM
MadMedic20
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We have aftermarket alarms and remote starters on 3 2003 E350 ambulances. Along with the cam sensors going bad one vehicle was at the ford garage for a month and they couldn't figure out why it would not start. It was an alarm wire hooked to the ignition system that came lose. This ambulance would start with starting fluid or wd40 and run until shut off. I would start with the alarm system since you have checked most everything else.

Old 02-05-2004, 10:32 AM
glowBugs
New User
Yes! Now, maybe we're getting somewhere!!

I think my hubby knows where the starter is, but just in case he does not......can you please tell me the location of the starter, also each wire that is attached - where do those wires lead to. ESPECIALLY, this security system wire that may be off (hopefully).

I thank you so much for this new tip. Everyone has been so very helpful. One day soon he will be "on the road again" with all this help he is getting!

Blessings,
Pam

Old 02-05-2004, 10:55 AM
glowBugs
New User
The relay on the front of the engine (the intake heater as per RWM; thanks!) - the battery feed post is hot, the two small posts on top of the relay are hot with the key on and the other big post is NOT hot, where do these wires go to and what are they for.
The other big post that I spoke of that is NOT hot - what is that for and is it suppose to be hot?

Again, thanks for your help!

GlowPugs

Quick Reply: STILL hard to start and will not stay running