1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gull Wing Tool Box vs. Single Lid Box

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2001, 07:12 AM
wgm114
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to decide which tool box to put in my Super-Duty. I don't know if the single lid is better or two lid gull-wing type. Also, any comments on Black Oxide vs. Brite Aluminum?

Old 08-12-2001, 01:06 PM
Guido
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard mixed reviews. SOme poeple like the gull wing lids because they said they can grab something without getting into the bed of the truck. Others don't like them because its hard to get large objects out and organized in the box.

I'm going with the single lid if my 2002 ever gets here!!!!
I'm looking at one of the roll up covers that integrates with a tool box. We'll see.

(I'm anxtious if you can't tell!)

Old 08-12-2001, 03:10 PM
framerboy
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't like either of those styles for the work I do. I use two long side boxes made by Weatherguard, but they have a big selection of box styles to look at. Have a look at www.weatherguard.com, you could always go with a white one and then have it painted to match the color of your truck. Anyway good luck.

Old 08-12-2001, 03:17 PM
sawdust51
New User

I have the black oxide single lid allum. box. It has handles on both side of the truck so you don't have to get in the bed to open it. I liked the single lid because it is easier to store long items. However, if I had it to do over, I would have never bought the box. It makes my $35,000 truck look like a an everyday work truck. I think next time I will go ahead and get a cab-high paint matched camper cover.

Old 08-12-2001, 04:49 PM
powerstroker250
Posting Guru

I have the single lid box and love it. Check out www.protech.net In my opinion thier quality is unmatched.

Les

Old 08-12-2001, 05:05 PM
Hellrazor
Freshman User

Do not buy a cheap single lid, they are not worth the trouble. They tend to be a PITA to latch. The duals are nice, unless you plan to store large tools.

Old 08-12-2001, 05:07 PM
Hellrazor
Freshman User

Oh and dont get the white ones, they are a rust bucket. Aluminum or black are the best.

Old 08-12-2001, 10:25 PM
deere81
Senior User

I've got a single lid Delta aluminum diamond plate toolbox. It makes my truck look good but, i am dissatisfied with it. The lid doesn't sit level when shut and sometimes its a PITA to open.

'90 F-150 Custom 4x2 351 AOD
'93 Mustang 5.0 HO AOD
'78 F-250 Ranger Supercab 4x2 460 C-6

Old 08-13-2001, 02:41 PM
Hellrazor
Freshman User

My old single lid aluminum one didn't sit level either, you have to adjust the 2 latches. But then its a SOB to open.

Old 08-14-2001, 12:35 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a bright, gullwing, better-built. Love it.

Old 05-04-2002, 12:07 AM
wafflerr
New User
Post Gull Wing Tool Box vs. Single Lid Box

I've just purchased a single lid aluminum diamond plate box. Would like to mount this without drilling into the bed rails. Any suggestions on the best way to do this?

Thanks!

Old 05-04-2002, 12:38 AM
DJR 17
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Weather Guard Black aluminum single lid box. It's by far the best box i've seen. No leaks, even at the car wash! The only problem I have is you can't see the tailgate thru the mirror.

1999.5 F-250 V-10 4x4 CC SWB Lariat 3.73LS Rancho 9000s Michelin LTX M/S Exhaust coming soon!!!

Old 05-04-2002, 09:04 PM
rotorhead
Senior User

I had a gull wing diamond plate box on my last truck that I kept for 5 years (a Delta box). No leaks although i've had folks tell me theirs leaked some. Now i've got a full lid diamond plate box (United Welding) that I'm very happy with. I see advantages and disadvantages of each. I could more easily get to some things in the gull wing box, but of course, the truck was an old Toyota, which is obviously a bit lower to the ground than an F250!! But now that I've got a bigger truck, I've also got bigger stuff to put in it, and the full lid is bit better for that. Besides, climbing in and out of the bed occasionally keeps me young and virile!!

Old 05-05-2002, 02:51 PM
ranchtruck
6th Gear

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 05-May-02 AT 04:04 PM (EST)]I've got both types on my trucks gull-wing and one-piece lids. They are Rawson-Koenig commercial steel boxes and are HEAVY DUTY. Gull wing are great for smaller components and tools but are difficult to get things in and out that are long and bulky. You get some protection for contents when its raining but it is impossible to see whats in the middle. The one-piece top is very easy to work out of, all items are easily accessible but the lid is HEAVY to open. There is no protection for your contents when its raining. Steel boxes are much tougher than the aluminum boxes. Buy a commercial grade box, it will outlast the pickup and you can transfer it to the next. Heavy contents and sliding loads in the bed do less damage. Don't get the box too deep if you want to access your tools and equipment. Any box over 20 inches deep you will have a devil of a time finding your equipment and tools and you'll have to climb in the truck bed to retrieve those items near the bottom. Remember commercial won't be cheap but it lasts under hard use. Thats' my two cents worth in over thirty years of experience.

Old 05-06-2002, 05:39 AM
FrankMcL
New User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 06-May-02 AT 06:43 AM (EST)]I bought my F150 second hand and it had a camper top...looked really sharp...but it was a total pain in the butt for work. I was always crawling on my hands and knees fishing stuff out of the back and to haul lawn tractors and an ATV the top had to be removed and that's a two man job. So it came off and a tool box went on. The box transferred to my new SD and if I order a camper top it will be a real camper!
OTOH The gull is a pain to get stuff out of the middle and stuff gets buried. But with the lid you'd be climbing in and out of the truck for every little ting. If I could find a box with Gulls on the sides and a lift in the middle I'd be all over it.

Only my .02 worth!

Frank (Old Dog)
'02 F250 Lariat4x4 Crew V10-Auto Long Bed
'95 F150 XLT

Quick Reply: Gull Wing Tool Box vs. Single Lid Box