Very Cold starts and no Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 02:20 PM
Ranger_CN78
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Very Cold starts and no Oil Pressure

Hello Eveyone,

I have a 2000 Ranger 4x4 with a 3.0L V6 Flex Fuel engine. On these recently cold mornings (I'm in Pittsburgh and it's been 5 degrees F for a week now for a high temp.) I have no oil pressure but I check the dip stick and it indicates full. I run it for about 2 minutes and then it pops right up to normal on my instrument panel. Is there any thing here I should worry about? I did get an oil change about 2 weeks ago but it was running fine until this unbeliveblly cold week.

Any help as always is appreciated.

Old 01-31-2004, 02:27 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First, welcome to FTE!!!!!

Sounds like you have a bad oil pressure sending unit "switch". It
is screwed into the block just behind the head on the passenger's side.

Keep in mind that it is a "idiot light" type of oil pressure gauge that either shows no oil pressure, or half scale.
This is because the sending unit is a normally open switch, that closes with about 7PSI of oil pressure, and it will not show fluctuations in oil pressure....

Old 02-02-2004, 07:45 AM
Ranger_CN78
New User
Well I started it this morning (20F) and it started up just fine. How do I know if the oil is getting pumped into the block? Is there a quick way to tell? If this is a bad guage switch then I'm not as worried. Also Could this be a case of bad oil from my oil change (which was roughly a week ago)?

Old 02-02-2004, 07:52 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If the engine isn't getting oil, then the first sign is valve train noise, usually from the lifters. So, if you heard any unusual noises, shut your engine down right away....

Old 02-04-2004, 09:08 PM
smoothair
New User
I have the same problem with my 1999 3.0 liter Ranger. It usually happens like you said on the real cold mornings when the temperature is below freezing. I usually let it warm up for a couple of minutes. I figure it takes the oil pressure gage a little bit longer to come up because of the cold temperatures. I don't notice any unusual sounds with the engine. Anyone else have any advice????

Smooth

Old 02-05-2004, 10:14 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by smoothair
I have the same problem with my 1999 3.0 liter Ranger. It usually happens like you said on the real cold mornings when the temperature is below freezing. I usually let it warm up for a couple of minutes. I figure it takes the oil pressure gage a little bit longer to come up because of the cold temperatures. I don't notice any unusual sounds with the engine. Anyone else have any advice????

Smooth
Welcome to FTE!

I think you are fine, and that it's probably the oil pressure sending unit balking a little bit at the cold temps. I would recommend nothing higher than a 5W-x weight oil though, at least during the winter. You don't want an oil that's too thick.

Old 02-05-2004, 10:33 AM
smoothair
New User
Right now I am using the Motorcraft 5W-20 instead of the recommended 5W-30. I think I am going to try this synthetic blend for a while. Anybody have any good things to say about this oil? Thanks!

Smooth

Old 02-05-2004, 11:07 AM
smoothair
New User
Okay, I just read the post that says now FORD recommends using 5W-20 instead of 5W-30. I wonder why they came out with the new recommendation. Hmm...

Smooth

Old 02-05-2004, 12:39 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by smoothair
Right now I am using the Motorcraft 5W-20 instead of the recommended 5W-30. I think I am going to try this synthetic blend for a while. Anybody have any good things to say about this oil? Thanks!

Smooth
Motorcrafts 5W-20 is a highly rated semi-synthetic oil. Holds up to heat and low temps very well. You might try a search in the FTE Oil & Lube Forum which will return some very informative threads on the subject.