General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Opps I hit her car ;(

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2002, 10:41 AM
odie780
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opps I hit her car ;(

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 18-Jun-02 AT 11:45 AM (EST)]Well leaving the office yesterday my fender tried to mate with the bumper of a Ford SUV. Well the dualy did ok she only lost a little chip on the edge. The SUV however lost a spot of paint the size of a silver dollar. So I find the rent a cop and tell him what I did and tried to report it. He tells mne as he is driving around in his little truck that I would have to go inside and report it.

So I say a few nice words to the lazy little rent a cop in his truck and walk in to the desk. Well I think the rent a cop new he messed up and came in as well. Talked to the man at the desk and he tells me thank you and they will get the information of who owens the car.

So this morning they come up and give me the owners name and ext. so I can call her. Not realy sure I am ready for it but call to tell her what I have done.

About 1 hour latter she calls me back and I tell her what I did and she says oh realy I never noticed it, and then goes on to say how nice it was of me to track her down and tell her. She said she would go take a look at her SUV (btw brand new black in color) and tell me if she needed my info???? I could not beleave that this lady was so happy that I tried to do the right thing that she wasn't even upset.

After all that I would like to say thanks mom and dad!!!!

Old 06-18-2002, 11:20 AM
propellerhead
Senior User
Opps I hit her car ;(

There's a joke along these lines.... something about a guy hits another car in a parking lot. So he takes the time to leave a note on the windshield. The people around are impressed and smile at him. In the end, the note said something like "People think I'm leaving my name/number but I'm not. Sorry for the dent."

Old 06-18-2002, 11:28 AM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Opps I hit her car ;(

Honesty & acting responsibly is always the best policy.

[font color=red]Dennis

Calgary,Alberta,Canada[/font]

[link:www.ford-trucks.com/guidelines.html|FTE Moderator]

http://www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion/Minimorleytruck.JPG

[link:www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion/Mil1ion.html|My Website,"North Of The 49th"]

[font color=red]
Please Don't Ask Me Any Tough Questions,
"I'm Saving My Memory For When I Develop Alzheimer's" [/font]

[font color=blue]78 F-150 429CJ,Silver,Explorer Pkg.
[/font]

Old 06-18-2002, 02:25 PM
lanero
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Opps I hit her car ;(

My wife did the same thing you did. Hit a vehicle, waited around till the owner showed up then exchanged information. Now, they are trying to screw my insurance company out of money by claiming more damage then what was really done.

How's that for being nice and doing the right thing?

Roger Lane

Old 06-18-2002, 03:07 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Opps I hit her car ;(

I read that post , I think it was digraceful for them trying to take advantage of the situation.

I always have a camera in the car/truck for the purpose of verification to the insurance company.

I would have the other person in every photo and point to the damage they received in the collison invloving me.

[font color=red]Dennis

Calgary,Alberta,Canada[/font]

[link:www.ford-trucks.com/guidelines.html|FTE Moderator]

http://www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion/Minimorleytruck.JPG

[link:www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion/Mil1ion.html|My Website,"North Of The 49th"]

[font color=red]
Please Don't Ask Me Any Tough Questions,
"I'm Saving My Memory For When I Develop Alzheimer's" [/font]

[font color=blue]78 F-150 429CJ,Silver,Explorer Pkg.
[/font]

Old 06-18-2002, 10:15 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Opps I hit her car ;(

I had a person do a hit and run on my Crown Vic parked in the street. The neighbors saw it and called the cops as well as my wife who was home at the time. It was a minor scrape. My car has 160K+ miles on it. IF, they had come up and told her about it I would've said no problem and just laughed it off. Instead the pulled up along side the car, took a look at the long streak of white paint they put on my red Vic and left.

I filed against their insurance. Collected the $400 repair bill and just buffed off most of the scrape.

Honesty works for me.

Old 06-19-2002, 02:14 AM
rocky
Elder User
Opps I hit her car ;(

Someone recently left a two-foot long scrape on my wife's 2000 van. I hope the low-down dog that did it gets his along the way.

Old 06-20-2002, 10:28 AM
enduringexplorer
Elder User
Opps I hit her car ;(

Because my Excursion is huge, compared to the rice-rockets in the parking lots, I always park out in the sticks where nobody parks. A couple of months ago, I came out of the store (WalMart) to find the front of my truck had been hit. I have a painted to match grille guard, painted to match bug shield, and stainless steel KC Hi-Lites, all ruined, plus two dents in the leading edge of the hood. It appears a lifted truck or a tractor-trailer caught the edge of the grille guard on passing, and pulled it sideways. No note, no apologies. I have commercial insurance coverage with a $1000.00 deductible. Guess what? Insurance company says deductible applies. Good bye lift kit!!!!

I have heard the line "what goes around, comes around" and have been told many times that good deeds are rewarded. Horse puckey!!!
I am the guy that stops in a storm to tow people out of snowbanks. I am the guy that saw a Blazer spin-out and rollover in Tennessee (when I was returning to Michigan from Georgia) and stopped to help. I waited with them (for over 1 hour) and then followed the wrecker into town. Then I gave the couple a ride to Bowling Green, Ohio, stopping for dinner along the way. I caught hell from my wife because she claims I am gone too much of the time. This took 3-4 hours extra out of my day.

When am I going to get rewarded, instead of constantly being punished? Maybe a CCW is in order.

Who is going to stop these bottom-feeders from constantly doing wrong and getting away with it? I am tired of always having to pay for others deeds.

Old 06-20-2002, 11:18 AM
Superbru
Senior User
Opps I hit her car ;(

Tim,

Don't get discouraged.

If I am ever in a snow bank, or upside down in my truck in a ditch, I hope someone like you will stop and try to help! That is why I always stop when I see someone in trouble. If people like you and me stop helping others, then the world will really be worse off.

I still believe people get whats coming to them in the end!

Just my .02.

Bru

2002 F150 Super Crew
Black 4X4 Lariat
5.4 Engine Ford Chrome Bars

1979 Bronco 351M 75K orig.

Old 06-23-2002, 05:50 PM
enduringexplorer
Elder User
Opps I hit her car ;(

Well, Bru,
Fortunately for those poor souls that are going to spin out this winter, I still carry my 2 tow chains, mini air compressor, jumper cables, and spotlight. I am just a nice guy, and though I sometimes bitc# and complain too much, I just won't change into the pr!ck I sometimes sound like. My wife complains about the way I help others all the time. She thinks I am "just too darn helpful" to too many people that don't deserve it. Even if I don't get any additional rewards, it sure is nice knowing I have made someone's day better. I'll keep it up if you do!!

Tim

Old 06-25-2002, 11:10 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Opps I hit her car ;(

Tim, I feel for you..

About a year ago my wife hit a parked car. A mid-80's mustang, BTW, painted the most horrible shade of bright gold you can imagine. Made we want to retch *before* we got into the mess. To make a long story short, they tried to get $1500 out of us because it was a custom paint job. Yeah. We gave them $500 to fix & paint the bumper.

I, too, am the kind of guy who will stop and help people out. I've jumped cars, changed tires, pushed cars out of snowbanks, and walked a half mile in the pouring rain on a deserted interstate in the dark because I passed a wrecked car that had hit a deer and I didn't know if someone was still inside or not.

I'll still keep doing the good things, because the feeling you get from helping a stranger out is much more gratifying than getting screwed one time in 50.

Just my two cents...

Old 06-25-2002, 11:25 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Opps I hit her car ;(