Stupid and costly mistake...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 12:07 PM
walnutcreek
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Stupid and costly mistake...

and yes I'm still smiling.
I had judt finished winching a neighbors wifes 4x4 out of a ditch that she slide off the road into and was securing the cable back on the drum. The cable caught my glove and pulled it under the cable, I could get wy hand out of the glove in time and it cut the end of my right ring finger off at the nail. Docs couldn't reattach it, so it's about 1/2 " shorter and long in healing.
I've designed a tool that I'll be making when I'm well to keep gloves/hands away from the cable during all winch operations so that I can get back on my horse and ride, so to speak.
In the mean time I'll recoup and see about going into a new type of work as I used my hands to make a living and can't for a while.

Old 02-01-2004, 03:12 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Safely operating equipment is very improtant. You will have the rest of your life as a reminder, each time you see the space.

Glad your typing wasn't effected and you are still able to be here on FTE

John

Old 02-01-2004, 07:57 AM
walnutcreek
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Thanks

I here you, if I'd stopped talking to her it wouldn't have happened...but a safety tool will prevent any error as long as it is used. The bottom line is that I took my eyes off what I was doing for a split second and that's all it takes.
I guess that once you've used a keyboard as long as I have typing left handed is easy.

Old 02-01-2004, 08:12 PM
bosshoss
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its good to hear you got your hand out of the glove, before any more damage. Get well soon. Another tip when using a winch, is to put a blanket or something on the cable to prevent a whip like action should the cable should brake, or chain. A cable could cut you in two, if it whips back after it snaps under strain. A chain could do some bad damage to the trucks.