Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Oil in Water but no water in oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 05:59 PM
78RangerXLT
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil in Water but no water in oil

I have a 1990 F350 7.3 standard tranny 5spd. with 300,000mi. heres the two questions:

1. My engine is consuming water on the drivers side ( I know this because I have dual exhaust and only that pipe smokes white). It always dropped slightly in the water level and i would refill it but I would notice small amounts of oil in my radiator. I would pull the dipstick out but no milky aspect was present in the oil. here recently on a long trip I was coming back and the water consumption increased dramatically. When I would pressurize the cap on the radiator it got worse and fouled out what I believe to be the #8 cylinder. What could this be?

2. I have a 1985 f-250 with a 6.9L diesel. I was wondering if this is an easy motor swap and if there are any conflicts. Also I have to swap the fuel control off my 7.3 and fuel pump off 7.3 to the 6.9, will this work?

I'm really stumped on this because I've always been an Unleaded guy. Thanks

Old 01-27-2004, 06:20 PM
rancherman84
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you probably have a cylinder wall pitted and wore thru to let water in the cylinder.the swap should be farlly easy to do the 6.9 should bolt right up.but youll probably see a slight hp loss.i think the pump and stuff should fit.im sure there willbe some mods to do.good luck.let us know how you make out.

Old 01-27-2004, 09:31 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
It is an easy swap and you will lose about 19 horse power and about 70 foot pounds of torque.

The glow plugs, the controller, and wiring harness will have to come off of your 7.3 and go on the 6.9.
You will also have to swap the fuel filter assembly from the 7.3 to the 6.9.

Everything else is interchangeable.

I just pulled a 6.9 and installed a 7.3 turbo in my 86. Two good mechanics and myself in a well equiped garage the swap took 10 hours work time.

I did install a complete drop in motor so you will need a little more time to swap the fuel system.

If you have been running the coolant addative you may just have a blown head gasket.