Odometer Blackout Problem Fixed!!! - Page 28 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Odometer Blackout Problem Fixed!!!

Old 02-29-2016, 01:55 PM
Elder User

dakota_viking is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.dakota_viking is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbx View Post
Years ago, I could find my way around and post to the proper forum. Now the site is either way harder to get around on or I am a lot more confused than I used to be. This is my apology for this being in the wrong area, if it is. I have a 2006 Explorer Sport Trak with the AM/FM 6CD with subwoofer and IPod connector in the center console. The display blacks out but will occasionally come on. Is there a quick fix or must I replace the whole unit?
Ford has proven that it builds a good truck, but the manufacturing process of circuit boards and soldering is not their strong suit.

Take the console down and have a look at all of the solder joints. If you find one that doesn't look 'quite right' touch it up with a little solder and see if your problems have gone away!

Tim
Old 03-29-2016, 10:03 PM
New User

Edwin Marin is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm driving Ford Ranger 3.2XLT 2013. I had my odometer blackout few days ago, it came back on and off many times, and it getting worse now. Even after I pulled out my key from the ignition, i still can turn on my radio. Sometime it came back normal for a few minutes then blackout again. What could be the problem, anyone experiencing this problem.?
Old 03-30-2016, 10:33 AM
Post Fiend

alloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin Marin View Post
What could be the problem, anyone experiencing this problem.?
Try starting on page 1 of this topic.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:17 PM
Junior User

Ace_boy2786 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin Marin View Post
I'm driving Ford Ranger 3.2XLT 2013. I had my odometer blackout few days ago, it came back on and off many times, and it getting worse now. Even after I pulled out my key from the ignition, i still can turn on my radio. Sometime it came back normal for a few minutes then blackout again. What could be the problem, anyone experiencing this problem.?
as for the odometer, I'd say to look over this thread about re-soldering the connections; as for the radio coming on after the key's removed, That sounds like a loose/bad ignition cylinder or something to me, but I'm no mechanic.
If you can turn the ignition cylinder without the key that is probably why the radio can come on with the key out, That could also potentially lead to a dead battery if not careful.
2013 is rather new, I'd be curious as to why the cylinder went bad, if it indeed did. is it a fleet vehicle (or ex-fleet) that is started and such ALOT throughout the day putting wear on the cylinder or a personal vehicle that is maybe 5-6 times a day?
Old 03-30-2016, 07:27 PM
New User

Edwin Marin is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_boy2786 View Post
as for the odometer, I'd say to look over this thread about re-soldering the connections; as for the radio coming on after the key's removed, That sounds like a loose/bad ignition cylinder or something to me, but I'm no mechanic.
If you can turn the ignition cylinder without the key that is probably why the radio can come on with the key out, That could also potentially lead to a dead battery if not careful.
2013 is rather new, I'd be curious as to why the cylinder went bad, if it indeed did. is it a fleet vehicle (or ex-fleet) that is started and such ALOT throughout the day putting wear on the cylinder or a personal vehicle that is maybe 5-6 times a day?
somehow I think the ignition is related to the odometer blackout. The alarm notification is flickering like I already lock the car. There's a time when i turn off my A/C, it came back on for a while. I tried to look for loose solder connection, but cant find any on the instrument cluster.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:37 PM
New User

riverman68 is starting off with a positive reputation.
could this be the problem with a 2009 f350?
Old 03-21-2017, 09:28 PM
New User

Wyatt_21 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Gauges not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota_viking View Post
OK campers, I think I figured it out! (Sorry if this gets long...)

I took out my instrument cluster to install my Nu-Image Flame gauges. Since my odometer has been plagued with the famous blackout syndrome, I decided to dive in and see if it could be fixed without giving Ford $375 for a new cluster.
D
Do you know if this works with the gauges not working? Could use some help
What I found was a cold solder joint. With a couple of minutes using a solder pencil, problem solved! No need to fork over any money to Ford.

Here's how it goes: .

Using a service manual or CD, remove your instrument cluster

If you find a cold solder joint, simply touch it with a hot soldering pencil (NOT A GUN...It's TOO Hot!) and add just a touch of solder.

If all goes well, reverse the process to put it back together.

****IMPORTANT****
If you are not comfortable soldering or getting into electronic boards, you may want to consider finding someone in your area that is. (Maybe a stereo shop) I have been in electronics for several years and was willing to go for it rather than shell out the cash.

Good luck and remember to TAKE YOUR TIME!!!

If you have any questions, just shoot me an e-mail, I may be able to help out.

do you know if this work also with the gauges not working?
Old 03-26-2017, 06:08 PM
Junior User

aircargoo is starting off with a positive reputation.
hello everyone....
i have dash blackout but mine seem like or i thought was the bulbs. i never got any blinking just one at a time. now only the speedometer is lite and rest is dark.

im thinking just bulbs....
Old 03-27-2017, 08:37 AM
Post Fiend

alloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircargoo View Post
im thinking just bulbs
Yes, just bulbs. The odometer issue is a non-replaceable digital display.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:44 PM
Junior User

aircargoo is starting off with a positive reputation.
so....in my case its just bulbs? hoping so...txs alloro, alot.

gonna change them this week. anyone have bulb suggestion,brighter....or go stock?

txs all.....
Old 05-19-2017, 07:56 PM
New User

Paulharper8188 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My ford escape 2013 instrumental cluster black out

I had an accident with my ford escape sometime last year...and after a week of the accident...d screen on my instrumental cluster went blurry and blank...u can only take note of it at night. Can the same method be applied thanks
Old 05-19-2017, 08:01 PM
Postmaster

HomerWinzlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HomerWinzlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulharper8188 View Post
I had an accident with my ford escape sometime last year...and after a week of the accident...d screen on my instrumental cluster went blurry and blank...u can only take note of it at night. Can the same method be applied thanks
I doubt it. You probably should have done a supplemental insurance claim since it happened right after the accident.