Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Chrysler continues to push the envelope

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 11:33 AM
Quaddak
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chrysler continues to push the envelope

Maybe just a prototype but does demostrate the abilities if the New Chrysler. "In terms of advanced materials, aerodynamic efficiency and vehicle dynamic performance, the ME Four-Twelve represents the ultimate engineering and design statement from Chrysler."

http://popularmechanics.com/automoti..._7/print.phtml

CHRYSLER ME FOUR-TWELVE REVEALED AS CHRYSLER'S FIRST-EVER MID-ENGINE SUPER CAR
AUBURN HILLS, Mich., Jan. 4 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- The spectacular quad-turbo, V-12 powered, mid-engine Chrysler ME Four-Twelve super car has roared onto the scene to shine as the most advanced Chrysler ever built.

The ultimate engineering and design statement, and a brilliant example of the Chrysler Group''s capabilities, the ME Four-Twelve will establish a real- world performance record for a rear-wheel drive, mid-engine super car and may also set a record for lightening-quick vehicle development. Taking less than one year to complete from start to finish, the Chrysler Group partnered with some of the best in the business to assist in its development.

"The ME Four-Twelve has been one of the most closely guarded secrets, not only to the outside world but also within our organization," said Trevor Creed, Senior Vice President - Chrysler Group Design. "The idea for this machine was conceived as a spectacular follow-up to the Dodge Tomahawk shown last year. The big difference is that Tomahawk was a design statement. ME Four-Twelve, however, is as much an engineering statement as it is a design statement."

"ME Four-Twelve adds a new aura of performance to the Chrysler brand," Creed said. "It is aerodynamically honed, and it balances elegance and power. It exudes strength, performance and prestige. The ME Four-Twelve is Chrysler''s own creative interpretation of the classic mid-engine super car architecture."

AMG Powertrain and Ricardo Clutch Transmission for Unmatched 0-60 Performance

The heart of the ME Four-Twelve is its all-aluminum, quad-turbo, 6.0-liter V-12 engine. With electronic sequential multipoint fuel injection and a 9.0:1 compression ratio, the ME Four-Twelve''s AMG-developed engine delivers 850 bhp @ 5750 rpm, with 850 lb-ft. (1150 N-m) of torque between 2500 and 4500 rpm on premium unleaded fuel. The specific power output translates to 142 bhp/liter, and with a curb weight of just 2880 lbs. (1310 kg), the ME Four-Twelve has the weight-to-power ratio of 3.4 lbs/bhp -- each of these sets new performance records and new benchmarks in the super car category.

And, befitting a machine that will play comfortably in the super car league, the performance of the ME Four-Twelve is stunning. In our projections and modeling, the ME Four-Twelve goes from 0-60 mph in 2.9 seconds, 0-100 mph in 6.2 seconds and it will blister through the quarter mile in 10.6 seconds at 142.0 mph. The estimated top speed of the ME Four-Twelve is 248 mph (400 km/h). The vehicle is designed and packaged to achieve outstanding thermal performance under extreme operating conditions. Its large capacity, high- efficiency engine-cooling system allows this engine to retain optimum thermal performance -- a key advantage in the super car arena.

The 7-speed Ricardo Double Clutch Transmission was developed specifically for this vehicle and features the latest double wet-clutch technology and electronic control strategy. The exclusive ME Four-Twelve transmission delivers uninterrupted torque to the rear wheels with 200 millisecond shift times.

Advanced Composite Structure, Cat-Quick Agility

The ME Four-Twelve''s advanced, carbon fiber bodywork was designed to mate to a carbon fiber and aluminum honeycomb monocoque tub. Aluminum crush structures and chrome-moly sub-frames complete the ME Four-Twelve''s rigid support structure. Taking advantage of its impressive racecar-like structural rigidity, the ME Four-Twelve''s suspension, steering and brakes are engineered for super car performance. Overall, the vehicle''s structure -- consisting of multiple materials -- achieves an ultra lightweight design with outstanding vehicle rigidity and complies with all US federal regulations related to impact testing.

The suspension is comprised of double wishbones, aluminum control arms, horizontally-opposed coil-over dampers with electronically controlled compression and rebound tuning, stainless-steel push rods and a blade configured anti-roll bar.

The power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering has an overall ratio of 16:1 with 2.4 turns lock-to-lock and a turning circle of 36.0 feet.

The ME Four-Twelve braking system features massive 15.0-inch (381 mm) ventilated carbon ceramic composite disc brake rotors with six-piston aluminum mono block calipers for superior braking performance during all driving conditions. The composite discs are sixty-five percent lower in weight than comparable cast iron rotors. This results in significantly reducing unsprung mass and improving shock damping response.

ME Four-Twelve wheels are cast aluminum: 19x10-inch front and 20x12.5-inch rear. Michelin high-performance radials are 265/35ZR19 in the front and 335/30ZR20 in the rear.

Ultimate Chrysler Engineering and Design Statement - to the Last Aerodynamic Detail

At just 44.9 inches tall, 78.7 inches wide and 178.8-inches long, the two- seat, mid-engine ME Four-Twelve has a striking presence -- poised as if ready to pounce. The ME Four-Twelve carbon fiber body work has that "chiseled all from one piece" look, honed from hours of development in the Chrysler Group wind tunnel in Auburn Hills, Mich.

The computer controlled active rear spoiler articulates rearward 100 mm to increase down-force to a total of 925 lbs. (421 kg) at 186 mph (300 km/h), while achieving a competitive coefficient of drag (Cd) of 0.358. This results in unwavering stability at the ultra-high speeds of which ME Four-Twelve is capable. All body openings have been optimized to achieve maximum thermal performance. In addition, large vented front and rear wheel houses reduce lift as well as active and passive aerodynamic devices that have been implemented to provide stable vehicle performance at all speeds. Those devices include:

* A front fascia splitter for increased frontal down-force

* A fully developed underbody with integral rear diffuser to reduce lift and provide additional rear down-force

* Formations in the belly pan forward of each wheel to aid in reducing lift

* The decklid rear "ski-slope" formation improves rear down-force

* Large rear grille integrated into the fascia helps ventilate air through the engine compartment

* Cubic section at the leading edge of the front fascia helps air attach to the underbody and reduces lift

A Tasteful and Purposeful Interior Environment

Chrysler brand beauty and elegance has been blended with the function and form that are essential in the ultimate super car. For example, ME Four- Twelve''s interior shows the carbon fiber structure of the body tub throughout, used for its light-weight attributes but refined in texture to fulfill the Chrysler brand promise. In addition, leather-covered sport seats, a tilt steering wheel, automatic climate control and a premium audio system are housed in a vehicle that is just as at home on the highway as it is on the race track. Unique features and elements include:

* Carbon fiber seat structure with a total seat weight of just 27 lbs. (12.3 kg)

* Competitive-in-class interior roominess with 37.2 in (942 mm) of headroom, and 42.7 in (1085 mm) of legroom

* A large glass roof panel extends from the windshield to the rear header

* Passenger-side adjustable foot support helps keep the "co-pilot" in position during extreme cornering maneuvers

This vehicle breaks the mold of the super car genre because its packaging can easily accommodate drivers in a wide range of heights. Ease of access to driving controls was a primary focus. For example, there are steering wheel mounted controls, including a column mounted F-1 racing style paddle shifter with aluminum shift paddles and centrally mounted driver controls.

"In terms of advanced materials, aerodynamic efficiency and vehicle dynamic performance, the ME Four-Twelve represents the ultimate engineering and design statement from Chrysler," said Wolfgang Bernhard, Chief Operating Officer - Chrysler Group. "It''s everything we''ve learned about creating exciting, desirable automobiles. And, as such, it''s not really a concept car but is, in fact, a prototype that will be road-ready by summer."

Old 01-07-2004, 11:37 AM
SDElwood
Hotshot
Received 588 Likes on 319 Posts
Yeah, yeah,

I bet the thing will still have transmission failures and the doors won't shut.

Old 01-07-2004, 12:34 PM
da cubs
Senior User
Hmmm.....quaddak giving props to a car that has 4......yes, 4 TURBOS????? Yet this is the same person that was ripping on the lightning for having a supercharger? Seems to me this person is lost on the internet.

Either way, that new Chrysler will still prove to be a piece of junk. I have had one chrysler, and I learned my lesson. Never again will I buy their garbage.

-Mike

Old 01-07-2004, 12:50 PM
dman01
Senior User
you'all are always good for a laugh
AM01

Old 01-07-2004, 12:52 PM
Ev2Demon
Senior User
Either way, that new Chrysler will still prove to be a piece of junk. I have had one chrysler, and I learned my lesson. Never again will I buy their garbage.
Interesting that after owning 1 Chrysler vehicle, you can factually state that every car they have ever made, past present and future, is junk. A buddy of mine had a 97 F-150 that caught fire and burned up at 12,000 miles due to a faulty dash wiring harness. He swears up and down that all Fords are junk and he will never own another one. Are his feelings just as warranted as yours?

Old 01-07-2004, 01:25 PM
da cubs
Senior User
Okay, let me elaborate more on why I will not buy a chrysler. Last spring, while turkey hunting I drove my F150 through a corn field, no problem. When I went back there later in my friends Dakota, we spent 3 hours laying down branches for him to drive over cuz his 4x4 dakota couldn't go through 2 inches of mud. Unfortunately, we were too far to walk back and get my truck to pull him out.

Another buddy as has Jeep Grand Cherokee that had a fuel pump go out at 40k miles. Then all his bearings went out at 50k miles.

Another budy w/ a wrangler had his driveshaft bust and fall off. Then his trans just went out. All under 70k miles.

Another buddy w/ an Overland Jeep Grand Cherokee(about $40K) has had probs w/ his 4x4 system.

And when I worked in retail banking, If I had a dollar for ever car loan I financed for people who were getting rid of their chrysler's for a new make, I'd be a millionaire.

Sure, every make has their lemons, but I have known far too may people, including myself, to have problems w/ chrysler products.

Old 01-07-2004, 01:47 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
jeeze that press release looks like the same one for the Hemi truck engine.......

Old 01-07-2004, 04:27 PM
otto
Posting Guru
good point on his flip flop for the power adders, its like a jehovas witness, there gonna hound ya till ya convert to whats left of the big .5 lmao

Thats is a heckuva press release,To be honest I stopped readin when I spotted the name of the car ? is that the name or what is that me 4 12 ? oh i got me and 4 turbos and 12 cylinders, how recockulous

Sounds like it costs half a million dollars to build and limited market we know chrysler cant afford to lose another red cent, no offense to the red man, why dont they focus on turning around a dying company....well they plan to with the release of some of the new models, good luck to em I hate to see another plant closing or auction flyer

Last edited by otto; 01-07-2004 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:49 PM
bassdude
Elder User
Originally posted by EV2DEMON
Interesting that after owning 1 Chrysler vehicle, you can factually state that every car they have ever made, past present and future, is junk. A buddy of mine had a 97 F-150 that caught fire and burned up at 12,000 miles due to a faulty dash wiring harness. He swears up and down that all Fords are junk and he will never own another one. Are his feelings just as warranted as yours?
yup. so they came out with a concept car, wow! i'm going to buy dodge stock! one question, is that 'cat like agility' achieved with lessons learned from the 'k' car?

Last edited by bassdude; 01-07-2004 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:00 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by da cubs
Okay, let me elaborate more on why I will not buy a chrysler. Last spring, while turkey hunting I drove my F150 through a corn field, no problem. When I went back there later in my friends Dakota, we spent 3 hours laying down branches for him to drive over cuz his 4x4 dakota couldn't go through 2 inches of mud. Unfortunately, we were too far to walk back and get my truck to pull him out.

Another buddy as has Jeep Grand Cherokee that had a fuel pump go out at 40k miles. Then all his bearings went out at 50k miles.

Another budy w/ a wrangler had his driveshaft bust and fall off. Then his trans just went out. All under 70k miles.

Another buddy w/ an Overland Jeep Grand Cherokee(about $40K) has had probs w/ his 4x4 system.

And when I worked in retail banking, If I had a dollar for ever car loan I financed for people who were getting rid of their chrysler's for a new make, I'd be a millionaire.

Sure, every make has their lemons, but I have known far too may people, including myself, to have problems w/ chrysler products.
How about knowing multiple people who had f250 SD's launch the spark plug at well under 30K miles. How about constant failures of the ignition coils on one of my custmer's 98 f150 5.4. My friend's lincoln town car spontaneously combusted after being parked for 4 hours, my uncles old f350 burnt too.

I also have a cutomer who has a bronco, which decided to launch the rear drive shaft out from underneath it, or a friend who's topaz literally spewed it transmission internals onto the ground.

I have a ford truck, and I won't part with it, but seriously, I see just as many ford and even more GM products that have just as many problems as dodge. I wish my fuel guage still worked in my 2003 F250 with 2200 miles on it. In for warranty I guess, my 91 dodge never gave me any problems other than a new battery.

Old 01-07-2004, 06:06 PM
bassdude
Elder User
Originally posted by 92f150I6
How about knowing multiple people who had f250 SD's launch the spark plug at well under 30K miles. How about constant failures of the ignition coils on one of my custmer's 98 f150 5.4. My friend's lincoln town car spontaneously combusted after being parked for 4 hours, my uncles old f350 burnt too.

I also have a cutomer who has a bronco, which decided to launch the rear drive shaft out from underneath it, or a friend who's topaz literally spewed it transmission internals onto the ground.

I have a ford truck, and I won't part with it, but seriously, I see just as many ford and even more GM products that have just as many problems as dodge. I wish my fuel Gage still worked in my 2003 F250 with 2200 miles on it. In for warranty I guess, my 91 dodge never gave me any problems other than a new battery.
all fords are junk according to you. why are you keeping yours? thats kind of hypocritical

Old 01-08-2004, 01:07 PM
dman01
Senior User
Originally posted by bassdude
all fords are junk according to you. why are you keeping yours? thats kind of hypocritical
Sorry I was scearching through what he said and I never saw anything that said "All Fords are junk" Did I miss it I know every brand has its faults and you ignorant if you do think that. You think that Fords don't have problems? what about the e-brak cables on the f550? I work with a company that owns 5 of them and on three of them they have snapped right where it attaches to the pedel. and the clutch switches that make you put the clutch in to start the truck? I know of at least two of them that had theirs go out. Nothing is going to last forever and I'm not stuiped enough to sit here and try to make you drive something you don't want to.
DM01

Old 01-08-2004, 01:21 PM
turbo TED
Senior User
AMG Powertrain and Ricardo Clutch Transmission for Unmatched 0-60 Performance

The heart of the ME Four-Twelve is its all-aluminum, quad-turbo, 6.0-liter V-12 engine. With electronic sequential multipoint fuel injection and a 9.0:1 compression ratio, the ME Four-Twelve''s AMG-developed engine delivers 850 bhp @ 5750 rpm, with 850 lb-ft. (1150 N-m) of torque between 2500 and 4500 rpm on premium unleaded fuel. The specific power output translates to 142 bhp/liter, and with a curb weight of just 2880 lbs. (1310 kg), the ME Four-Twelve has the weight-to-power ratio of 3.4 lbs/bhp -- each of these sets new performance records and new benchmarks in the super car category.
Quaddak just like i said before its either the germans or the italians to dodges rescue! AUFTRECH MECHLER "UND" GROSSENPATCH AMG which is the first letter of each of the gentlemans lastnames. These aftermarket highend tuners are some of the finest on the earth. Kind of makes you wonder what
will MAYBACH contribute to dodge sooner or later. FYI the previous info on the lamboroghini V-10 & the mercedes trannies
you may want do some history researching on dodges previous
acquisitions of other auto companies & what it yielded for them.
To know ones opponent as well as you yourself is crucial.

da cubs
Hmmm.....quaddak giving props to a car that has 4......yes, 4 TURBOS????? Yet this is the same person that was ripping on the lightning for having a supercharger? Seems to me this person is lost on the internet.

-Mike
Well pointed out mike.
turbo ted

Old 01-08-2004, 05:16 PM
otto
Posting Guru
A benz with a dodge rams horn on it really, i see benz has a $450k mclaren slr car AMG 5.4 S/C making 600 some odd hp

fast car, does 200 mph, a few tuners in on this one

Old 01-08-2004, 05:34 PM
Quaddak
Junior User
Originally posted by da cubs

-Mike
Giving props to a car maker, not to 4 turbos. Again, you feel the need to throw things. I simply made a statement that powers adders to not impress me and still don't. Believe what you want and say what you want.

BTW, I am more than certian chrysler can care less how you feel. Again this car demostrates who can do what and at what level. For one, ford has the nerve to lable the GT-40 a super car. Come one, what a joke when compared to this Super Car.

Quick Reply: Chrysler continues to push the envelope