1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Pics of a 59 Stepside Pls look

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 08:03 PM
wombie
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pics of a 59 Stepside Pls look

Hey folks. The newbie's back.

Please check the pics at:

http://homepage.mac.com/tcav/PhotoAlbum48.html

I went back and took some more pics of the truck in question. I haven't seen any 59s with the stepside.

Looks like I was wrong on a couple counts from when I first looked at it. I looked at so many old trucks at this place they started to melt together.

The truck has the original front suspension. The undercarriage looks real nice. It has light orange rust but nothing scaly.

It already had a Cheby 305 with TH350 in it. They claim it runs but at the very least the tranny toasted. It has an old B&M shifter in it too.

I figure I can get it for around $3500.

What do you all think?
Thank you all for your replies yesterday and again today!

Old 01-23-2004, 08:15 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
Honestly, I'm going to tell you there are better trucks for that kind of money. Although it looks to be a nice project, I would have to say $2500-$3000 at the most. It seems to have the PITA "previous owner mods". I'm going to assume the front cab mounts are gone from rust. Here's a few places to check for rust, rear cab corners, floor(especially up need the kick panels), rear of the front fenders, Stick your head up under the fender well of the front and see where the inner fender meets the core support. Although it seems to be a complete truck turned driver, I'd say get the owner to come down or keep looking, We'll see what others have to say, -4speed

Old 01-23-2004, 10:08 PM
wombie
New User
Thanks man. I appreciate the input. Maybe I'll down there and offer $2500 cash and see what happens. I did check the rear cab corners (clean), floor (just some surface rust). I the cab steps looked ok with some surface rust. I do need to check the cab mounts. Why would you assume they are gone? Are they a usual suspect? I looked at the undercarriage and really saw little more than surface rust. Like I said this guy isn't doing squat with it. So I'll see what happens.

Still looking for more input folks. Thank you!

Old 01-23-2004, 10:21 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
Well, it sounds like the rust isn't as bad as I thought. Cab mounts might still be intact but they are one of the most common rust area's on these trucks. You can get repo floors, fenders, cab mounts, but the core support's are hard to find. Basically, money is determined by what you are going to need to be replaced, there's no sense buying a $2500 truck with a chevy motor if your going to scrap half the parts and install a ford. I just don't want you to get screwed. The truck sure has alot of potential right off the bat. Let me know how it goes, -4speed edit: I took another look at the pics, that bed looks cherry! $2500 seems like a good price too me now! Hopefully somebody else will ring in to give a second opinion,

Last edited by mr4speedford; 01-23-2004 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:43 PM
wombie
New User
Thanks again man. Which core supports are you speaking about? The corner of where the firewall meets the front fender? I'll have to look closer again. Were there many stepsides in 59? I don't see many around. Your right the bed looks REALLY nice. Not a ding and no rust. Just needs new wood. I have so many questions I think I'll be a PITA for a while. I need to find places for new glass, probably a good idea to swap the rear end for something sturdier, and new cab and bed mount hardware.

I'm probably going to go high tech and put a injected LT1 as I can get one cheap salvage.

The only problem I see right away is the front hood isn't lined up and bottoms out on the front. I need to get some diagrams and manuals before I get started. Wish me luck.

Old 01-23-2004, 11:16 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
click here for a pic of part of the core support

Permitting your truck has the original rearend, its a factory 9in ford everybody loves. It's probably got 3:70's and its open but a sturdy rear. Glass can be bought. If your going to be redoing the truck, its a wise idea to do cab mounts, you can still drive it without worry if they are bad. I bet, a little chrome, a good wash job and some odd and ends painted and you'd have a nice cruiser. Ask away with any questions-4speed p.s the stepside bed was an option, and isn't too common with like 1/6 of trucks having one.

Old 01-24-2004, 07:09 AM
F-ONE
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
1959 options

Beware of goo goo eyes. You know that infatuation with a potentiall purchase that does not let you see whats all wrong with a vehicle. Beware if you think "that'll be cheap to fix"or "I can fix that" and the worst " I'll be able to get my money back easy if I decide to sell." The day you buy this truck will be the day the paper runs this add. 1959 Ford f-100 all original ground up resto started rebuilt engine, new paint needs interior finished,lost interest $3000 o.b.o. comes with parts truck that runs. With that said, this does look like a good truck. I would say 2500 to $3000 if the transmission was in order. Do'nt be a butt, do'nt go there pointing to all the stuff wrong with it. This just makes the owner mad and causes hurt feelings. Keep those things too yourself. Praise the truck , be friendly. I really like this truck. Somebody really took their time with it. It's worth what you're asking butt It'll cost me $1000 to put a new transmission in it , more if I have it done. I'll give you $3000 for it with a new transmission or $2000 right now.HAVE THE CASH. I like Ford in Fords. If you buy this truck you can begin you're quest for the perfect Ford drivetrain. It's fun to visit old country junkyards that have the older stuff. Make the search part of the fun. I would guess this truck probably came with a 223 I6. A 302 or 351 is an easy swap but Y blocks are out there and are original to that style but bolt in transmission options are limited. A 390 C-6,
FMX or Cruiseamatic would be good. 390s have an exhaust note that sounds almost as good as a flathead. Imagine this. 1959 Ford F-100 FE 390 Police interceptor,Galaxie 4speed, hurst shifter, Chrome moons all the way around. A great early 60s hot rod. HANG ON !! FE block motor mounts and transmission mounts are available for 53-1964 Ford trucks.

Old 01-24-2004, 12:13 PM
Kenny
Cargo Master

Hi, and welcome to FTE!
From the pictures, the body seems to be very solid!
Problem areas are usually the "inside step", front cab posts, floor pans, rear cab corners, rear front fender bottoms, and bottom of doors. Every thing looks pretty solid (body wise).

Considering the engine/tranny thing, I feel $3,000 is a little high, but that's just my opinion.

Old 07-01-2004, 06:19 PM
HueyBryan
Junior User
Run Away

I would leave it. I bought a '59 that is in awesome shape with just slight surface rust on the top and paid a grand for it. I see 59s on ebay that go for from $800-$1500 Look good before you pay too much.. Hope you find a good one!!

Old 07-02-2004, 08:49 AM
DS02F250
Posting Guru
Nope. Not for $3500. Unless you plan on leaving it pretty much "as is" and just fix it up "so at least it runs" and gets you from Point A to Point B. But, if you plan on going thru the whole truck (rust repair, sanding, painting, bed, cab, engine/under hood, both suspensions, wiring, etc) IMHO I'd say that $3500 is too much. Does the engine run? The 305 is an OK engine,but a bit under-engineered. Adequate for 1980 Camaro's and Corvettes, but...?

I'd either offer $1200 and dicker to $1500 max or just offer the $1500, no dickering. It looks like there's a few salvagable things on it, but also looks like alot of "rattle-can" quality work done to it as well.

Looks like a can of worms to me...

Just my $.02,
DS

Old 07-08-2004, 12:27 AM
angus
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The sheet metal looks very good; that's worth something, but $3500 seems like way too much. Offer $700 and see what happens.

Old 07-08-2004, 10:21 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry, but $3500 is too high. I wouldn't go over $1500. It doesn't drive, so you must assume that there other things like brakes and bearings that will take money to fix also. I would pass this one up, and look for one in better condition. John

Old 07-08-2004, 11:04 AM
mikew
Senior User
Sounds like way too much money for something you need to trailer home. Don't fall in love with the first one you see. Trust me..... You'll live to regret it.

Mike

Old 07-08-2004, 02:38 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
Hey guy's this post is like a year and half old. The guy's hasn't come back so no sense posting anymore. -4speed