Offroad & 4x4
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeep Dana 44 Trac Lok in a Ford TTB Dana 44????

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 01:50 AM
ClatonK
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeep Dana 44 Trac Lok in a Ford TTB Dana 44????

I have a nice Trac Loc from a Jeep Dana 44. Can I put in the front of my TTB Ford Bronco Dana 44?

I hear there may be a c-clip issue. How do I correct this properly? Anyone else do this swap?

Thank-you all,
Clayton

Old 01-21-2004, 07:23 AM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
not a 100% sure, but you can buy a c-clip eliminator kit but like i said i dunno. go to google and look for eliminator kits for a D44

-jason-

Old 01-21-2004, 08:05 AM
JeremyH
Posting Guru
You dont want the trash lock that chrysler sells......not worth the time it takes to install it.

Old 01-21-2004, 08:36 AM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whats wrong with it Jeremy..please be a little more detailed.

Old 01-21-2004, 09:18 AM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Originally posted by JeremyH
You dont want the trash lock that chrysler sells......not worth the time it takes to install it.
yea man! what's so wrong with it? if it was a complete pile of crap i doubt it would still be on the market! Don't get me wrong, i can't see it making it through the rubicon but they must not be too bad! Hell, it's better than being open IMO.

-Jason-

EDIT: BTW...I looked for you and I found a kit from Precision Gear http://www.precisiongear.com/cclip.htm

or try one of these:
http://www.reiderracing.com/c_clip.htm
http://www.wmsracing.com/pgi-ProductSpec?MOS-CELM

EDIT: Lol, ok i found this too ........."The brand new No Slip traction system provides the performance of a locker, with the QUIET operation that you demand for normal driving. This new system uses no friction clutch plates or cones, and does not require any special lubricants. Installation is also especially simple. It is designed to be installed by do-it-yourselfers.It simply replaces your open style differential. It smoothly transfers power from slipping wheels to the ones with traction. It works automatically, so you can keep your hands on the wheel - and your mind on the terrain. These are complete kits with clear & helpful installation instructions. Because your ring & pinion is not disturbed no gear lash adjustment is required" -http://www.appealingauto.com/noslip-90-93-dana-35-trac-lok---------92.html-

Last edited by fishmanndotcom; 01-21-2004 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:39 PM
JeremyH
Posting Guru
They put these in stock jeeps and they do not work at all. These units are know for their clutch plate failure in jeeps that are wheeled and are not much better than an open diff. If you want a limited slip.....go with Detroit Tru-Trac. It is a gear driven LS that doesnt require any LS additives.

Old 01-21-2004, 02:41 PM
Idiomaticman
Senior User
EZ lockers??..those look promising...maybe...i dunno, they are the right price anyway.

Idiomaticman

Old 01-21-2004, 02:42 PM
JeremyH
Posting Guru
Originally posted by Idiomaticman
EZ lockers??..those look promising...maybe...i dunno, they are the right price anyway.
I run a Detroit EZ locker and I love it. Never fails and totally unnoticable on the street.

Old 01-21-2004, 11:02 PM
ClatonK
Senior User
None of these posts are relevant. Oh, Jeremy H this is a Trac Lok made by Dana Spicer not Jeep. They are the same guys that manufacture the Dana diffs for Ford, GM, Dodge ect.

Clayton

Old 01-21-2004, 11:03 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Originally posted by ClatonK
None of these posts are relevant.
you get used to it over here at FordTrucks.com

-jason-

Old 01-22-2004, 08:16 AM
JeremyH
Posting Guru
Originally posted by ClatonK
Oh, Jeremy H this is a Trac Lok made by Dana Spicer not Jeep. They are the same guys that manufacture the Dana diffs for Ford, GM, Dodge ect.
Ok........my comments still hold. It is still the same unit that Chrysler uses in their vehicles. Just because well known company makes a bunch of good products, doesnt mean that EVERYTHING they make is good. Metallica for example.....

Trust me on this one. I have had a jeep ever since I could drive and have heard nothing but complaints about this unit since Chrysler started using it in 1997 (note: this is one vehicles that are wheeled....not street queens).

I'd save your money and get a more reliable unit....like a lunchbox locker or a mini spool. These are much cheaper and have less parts that can fail.

As for the manufacturers you listed....GM uses Corporate axles and Dodge uses AAM.

Last edited by JeremyH; 01-22-2004 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:30 AM
ClatonK
Senior User
Actually, GM and Dodge have used Dana 44s in some their trucks usually in front axle applications. And the unit I am talking about is a Track Lok that has been around for decades. The unit Jeremy is talking about has only been around since '97. We must be talking about differnt things. The track Lok is so reliable that the big 3 auto companys have been using them for decades. The clutch plates do wear out eventually but that does not cause a break down. With a mini spool or lunch box locker, you are far more likely to break an axle or eat up bearings which does cause a break down and will leave you stranded on the trail.

Clayton

Old 01-22-2004, 12:46 PM
JeremyH
Posting Guru
What I am saying is that if you wheel this vehicle, then the LS is not what you want.......

Old 01-22-2004, 01:19 PM
JeremyH
Posting Guru
Also, what year was the jeep???

Old 02-02-2004, 11:32 PM
red_rocket
Senior User
back to the topic at hand..

The way to get rid of the C-Clip is to put a spring inside the slip yoke to keep the axle halfs pushed apart.

Quick Reply: Jeep Dana 44 Trac Lok in a Ford TTB Dana 44????