Is it really possible to get more horses out of the new 5.4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 04:51 PM
openclasspro
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Is it really possible to get more horses out of the new 5.4?

Originally posted by schmidt
I own a 2002 F-150 with the 5.4. I love the truck but I'm starting to look around at trucks. I really like the new F-150 crewcab, but I can't get a decent sized box on it (6.5 foot). I won't buy a chevy (piston slap with the 6.0 and only have power at high rpm, poor mileage). The 3/4 dodge I drove was amazing. It pains me to say it, but the Hemi would crush the new 5.4 and the chevy 6.0. Why buy the massive ford v10 or the 8.1 chevy, even though I could pass everything but a gas station? Personally, I think the triton 5.4 is going to run out of cubes, if ford tries to keep up with dodge or chevy. Do any of you think the 5.4 is simply too small to compete with the rest? Sure ford can jack up the horses and torque but the rpm's are going to rise!!!!! I'm starting to look at the dodge, but I wish dodge made a true four door truck. Ford vs. Dodge, who knows????
a true 4 door truck - dodge has had 4 full doors since 02- what kind of doors are u looking for?

Old 01-27-2004, 06:50 PM
Carnivore
Senior User
Idon't know what to tell you dude. When the next nearest lightest truck is 800 pounds lighter, that is the one and only reason it is slower.

Old 01-27-2004, 11:14 PM
DeckedoutF150
Posting Guru
all i know is i would never buy a dodge unless you want to put up with trans probs and that new hemi is bad on gas and from what a friend of mine thats a dodge mechanic says it has 16 spark plugs that cost $6 each and you ahve to tune it up at 30,000. thats just what i have heard

Old 01-28-2004, 09:01 PM
grizz5675
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a freind who owns a hemi he said it aint like the old hemis his is a big pos.and he's had nothing but problems with it since day one.

Old 01-28-2004, 09:01 PM
grizz5675
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a freind who owns a hemi he said it aint like the old hemis his is a big pos.and he's had nothing but problems with it since day one.

Old 01-30-2004, 07:11 AM
2FastLX
Junior User
You doubters are obviously not familiar with modifying an engine. I've seen 4.6's pumping out 500lbs. torque and 500+HP. And more cubes will give you more HP with similar modifications. Slap some long tube headers (when they become available), and a 3" dual exhaust system along with some underdrive pulleys (when they become available), and a K&N air filter and I bet you notice a huge difference. And just wait until the intakes, TB's, MAS's, and all the other hop up parts become available. Just because manufacturers decide to tune an engine toward economy to stay within the government guidelines doesn't mean the engine is junk. The cast iron 4.6 block will stand up to 1000+HP. This new 5.4 block is even beefier. I'll take my Ford over any of them thank you.

And to answer your question - yes. I could easily find 100HP in this engine and even increase torque. All in a weekend with some modifications and some machine work.

Just wait and see what happens when the aftermarket catches up. This is a new engine design so the aftermarket needs time to develop and process parts for it. Not to mention testing and trial and error. But it will happen. And you'll be seeing a lot of fast F-150's on the streets when it does.

And by the way...
Let me slap a big *** turbo on my 5.4 with an adjustable wastegate and gobs of boost available. Then lets see who wins the torque/HP battle. And mine won't be rattling and pouring black smoke out. Blah, deisel's are for semis.

Old 01-30-2004, 12:05 PM
fknipfer1
Junior User
More horses out of 5.4L

I am trying not to be facetious, but after getting two tickets in my 5.4L expedition, my question is what in the world do you need more horsepower. Top end speed is limited by your truck computer from 95 to 100mph. You can pull a 9000lb trailer and surely can't go very fast there.

0 to 60 doesn't mean much in Kansas anymore as all the municipalities are trying to balance their budgets on speeders. They really don't care about safety just money. Some have already admitted this is the case.

Several years ago I owned a 7.5l (460) that had 235 hp and 385lbs ft torque and I thought that was the best you could get.
Now days the 5.4l is 260hp and 350 lbs ft torque pretty close to a match. The new F150 is 300hp and 365lbs ft torque.

Have a good day,
Frankk

Old 01-30-2004, 08:52 PM
fordborn
Post Fiend

I have a 2002 with the 5.4 and loaded with every option you can get. I can hold my own with any other make and they may get to the bar first but I'm there before they can open their door. Plus I arrive in a better, stronger, and nicer ride. You want fast then put a big V-8 on a go-cart, you want the best overall then get a Ford. There is a reason Ford has been the leader for 22 years. Add a few aftermarket items and you can leave the rest behind. I know many people that have Dodges and have never kept the trans together, I know people that have Chevy's but don't like to travel long trips with them because they are not comfortable. You can't have it all but the Ford comes closer then the rest at giving you a perfect truck. Besides who want to have a stock truck of any kind, that's what performance parts are for.

Old 01-31-2004, 09:54 AM
2FastLX
Junior User
Re: More horses out of 5.4L

Originally posted by fknipfer1
I am trying not to be facetious, but after getting two tickets in my 5.4L expedition, my question is what in the world do you need more horsepower...
Well Frank,
Having 300HP is great and all, but 500HP and 500lb/ft torque would be even better because...

When the Yuppy in the Corvette Z06 pulls up next to you at a light and starts revving his engine you can get a good laugh by handing him his butt in a 4WD. Laughter is the key to a healthy life IMO.

Modifying an engine designed by these high and mighty Engineers and getting more horsepower is a challenge. Especially with today's more modern engines with all their high tech gadgetry. And Ford Engineers are some of the best at doing so in a fashion that helps the gear head accomplish this. When you squeeze another 10HP out of an already powerful engine it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. At least it does me

The aftermarket is (or at least will be) full of cool things to add to these engines. Throttle bodies, mass air meters, intakes, and exhaust, just to name a few. All designed to flow more air, allowing more fuel to be dumped into the engine. But even though you get more HP, fuel economy doesn't suffer that bad with today's engines. And sometimes it can even be increased while adding ponies. And most of the time these components are made to help dress up an engine. Now, who doesn't drool when you open a hood to find a bunch of polished aluminum and chrome?

And more HP doesn't mean you have to drive it like a speed demon. It just means it's there if you feel the need for speed. Or just to quiet those GM and Dodge boys. And a bad ### truck with a snarly exhaust is music to my ears

Just my 3 1/2 cents.

Old 01-31-2004, 09:58 AM
2FastLX
Junior User
Re: More horses out of 5.4L

Originally posted by fknipfer1
Top end speed is limited by your truck computer from 95 to 100mph...
Maybe you aren't familiar with the gear head way of life, but there are ways tweak these EEC systems to make them do what YOU want them to do. Not Ford.

Old 02-22-2004, 05:03 AM
mikelehmann
Junior User
buy a super duty 4x2 diesel add the hopup parts and you just might hand that vette his butt

Old 02-22-2004, 07:35 AM
fknipfer1
Junior User
Money is a critical item of the diesel, something of which I have very little. Enough to pay rent, eat food, and go to a good movie a couple times per month, but not for a $5000 engine.

Frank k.

Old 02-23-2004, 05:18 PM
mikelehmann
Junior User
considering you can get the diesel for more like 4k buy the time you spend a ton trying too get a few more out of a gas engine. plus the diesel will get somewere around 5 mpg more. not as expensive as it looks. but who am i too say my truck also has a 5.4 and ill spend money making it faster too

Old 02-23-2004, 08:20 PM
CustomCab59
Freshman User
I have a K&N intake and a flowmaster 1 chamber with 3" pipe on my 5.4 01 Super Crew and I get 22mpg on the highway and I pull just about anything. Im very Happy with all my fords and thats all my family has ever owned. Dad was a chevy guy when he was younger but once he bought a FORD he never turned back.

Old 02-26-2004, 11:25 PM
krunker
Senior User
Originally posted by CustomCab59
I have a K&N intake and a flowmaster 1 chamber with 3" pipe on my 5.4 01 Super Crew and I get 22mpg on the highway and I pull just about anything. Im very Happy with all my fords and thats all my family has ever owned. Dad was a chevy guy when he was younger but once he bought a FORD he never turned back.
How in the world are you pulling 22mpg out of that. Are the tires you have on it now by chance, smaller than the stock tires?

Quick Reply: Is it really possible to get more horses out of the new 5.4?