Notices

Ideas for aftermarket products for my 2003 Ranger!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 12:16 AM
AceTheLegend
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ideas for aftermarket products for my 2003 Ranger!

My Ranger is a 2003 XLT FX/4 Level II, with a 4.0 Liter SOHC V-6, with 4X4! Its also a manual transmission!

I was wondering what are some good Aftermarket performance parts that will boosts horsepower, gas mileage, and other performance boosts that i am looking to get!

Just want to invest a little time and money and make my truck great!!

Any ideas are a great help

Thanks,

AceTheLegend

Old 01-15-2004, 10:40 AM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
I'd start with a K&N air filter. And, perhaps consider an aftermarket airbox.

Old 01-16-2004, 12:05 PM
Boss_358
Posting Guru

Ace, we have the same truck. All the way down to the manual transmission. Actually it is my fiancee's truck. Yours wouldn't happen to be sonic blue as well would it? I am also wondering the same thing. I have installed a K&N air filter but do not know what the gains are. I mean I have not really noticed anything right off hand. Has anyone noticed any gains in power or gas mileage using one? I just tried it because we needed a new air filter anyways. And as far as the aftermarket air boxes go, do they add much? Do they void any warranties? I accidentally cracked the stock air box when I was installing the K&N filter. I cracked one of the snaps that hold the box closed. I am looking at replacing the box or just putting on one of aftermarket kits. It just depends on if they void any warranties. If they do than I am just going to replace the stock airbox.

Old 01-16-2004, 12:09 PM
AceTheLegend
Junior User
Sorry Boss_358, My truck is red lol. Yeah i just need to know that info as well because I am looking for the products for my vehicle but I just can't find anything that does a comparison of its products performace based on the different tests they do for them!

Anyways yeah nice truck isn't it! I like how its looks....kind of like a smaller F-150.

Old 01-16-2004, 02:00 PM
Boss_358
Posting Guru

Ok I stumbled onto something strange. I first noticed this when I picked up a K&N filter for our Ranger. Told them the year and engine. They could not find one for a 2003 with a 4.0. So I had them look up 2002 which is the same and they had one. Well I just talked to a Ford parts desk looking for a price on a new air filter box and it they did not list the 2003's with the 4.0 either. They must have some kind of goof up somewhere. I wonder if it is causing aftermarket companies to not aknowledge that the 2003's had 4.0 sohc engines. Either way the 2002 is exactly the same. So the stuff for that year should work as well. The only problem is the Stock airbox comes in at the tune of about $180.00

Old 01-21-2004, 06:38 AM
TLD
Senior User
Actually the 4.0 is the ONLY engine FORD feels is strong enough for the Ranger and in side convesation with some guys in authority they all admit the 3.0 in this vehicle was a BIG MISTAKE.

There are many mistakes in aftermarkey land for parts that are SUPPOSED to fit. My APC tail lamps for my 01 Ranger were wrong the first order and had to be re ordered after APC did some research. Parts catalogs are sometimes printed a YEAR or so ahead of time EVEN before a new vehicle year starts

Old 01-21-2004, 10:58 AM
AceTheLegend
Junior User
So does that mean I gotta wait at least a year before they bring out aftermarket stuff for my truck? Or does it mean that they just haven't made catalogs that show the stuff available to my truck?

Old 01-21-2004, 11:20 AM
parks911
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 02-12-2004, 12:46 PM
srallen99
Freshman User
Originally posted by TLD
Actually the 4.0 is the ONLY engine FORD feels is strong enough for the Ranger and in side convesation with some guys in authority they all admit the 3.0 in this vehicle was a BIG MISTAKE.
I had a 95 Ranger XLT extended cab with the 2.3 liter 4 cylinder engine. Now that was slow. Just got an 03 XLT ext cab w/ the 3.0 liter because I needed/wanted a new truck and a little more power to get up a hill. It's adequate for what I want and a great improvement over the 2.3 liter.

Old 02-17-2004, 07:35 AM
Togaduke
Freshman User
Besides adding a K&N air filter, try getting a new exhaust system. I noticed a big difference in my F150 when I got my exhaust.

You shouldn't have a hard time finding exhaust for that 4.0. I had a '93 Ranger before I got my F150, and finding exhaust for that truck was like looking for Hoffa's body. It was damn near impossible. But it seems like more brands are coming out with more products for the Ranger.

Old 02-18-2004, 08:47 PM
RaidersFan
Freshman User
I don't know alot about the Rangers, but if you go to http://performancecenter.com/ and do a specific search for your vehicle, you should get a lot of ideas...

Good luck