460 timing cover

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 05:40 PM
djburland
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 460 timing cover

I am in the throes of a complete rebuild of a 460. Nothing out of the ordinary there, but here is my problem: I need to replace the timing cover as the original has been (poorly) brazed in one spot. The 460 is from a 68 Lincoln Continental and has a crankshaft power steering pump. The casting is slightly different so as to be able to mount the pump to the face of the cover. Also the opening for the crankshaft is about an inch larger than a "normal" timing cover of the same vintage. To be honest, I am rebuilding the Lincoln, and want to keep it stock if possible, so if anyone could assist with finding a replacement......man would I be grateful. btw...I own two Ford trucks, so I dont feel so bad posting to the Ford enthusiast site....
Thanks in advance,
Doug

Old 01-13-2004, 09:21 PM
Ford79
Lead Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check ebay for a cover. They have been on there before, don't know if there are any there now though.

Old 01-13-2004, 10:06 PM
airharley
Postmaster
If you have the diamentions from the old one why not machine a new one to accept the power steering pump? I know what your talking about as I have seen those covers when I was in LA but I am not there anymore, otherwise I would pick one up for you if you needed one.

Old 01-14-2004, 09:35 AM
djburland
New User
Thanks 79 and airharley for the responses. As far as Ebay, I bought a cover that the seller said would work.....It didnt and teh seller is adamant that he knows all configurations for 68 460s and he never heard of this (he is not wanting to refund). And I have a machine shop that makes parts for my business, and the casting can be ground for the larger orfice and drilled and tapped for the bolts, but there are two raised areas, about 1" diameter that the pump rides on. One at 1:00 and the other at about 7:00 o-clock. These could be built up, but would put the cost for the unit higher than I probably would like.....Any other ideas would be welcome. BTW...I have two sons in the LA area so if you remember where you saw one of these, let me know and I can have one of the boys look into it for me. Thanks in advance.
Doug

Old 01-14-2004, 01:01 PM
airharley
Postmaster
Doug, You can make a set of stand off's that screw into the cover to simplify the pump mounting process. Use countersunk machine screws from the inside to hold the pieces on. Make sure to use a dab of RTV in the countersunks to seal it up from oil. When I mentioned LA, I was refering to Lousiana. I lived in New Orleans for a few years.

Old 01-14-2004, 11:17 PM
Superdave
Posting Guru
djburland

Is this what your looking for?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=10076

Old 01-15-2004, 09:50 AM
djburland
New User
Dave....you are my hero....Now if only I can win the darn auction!! LOL

Old 01-15-2004, 06:05 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
djburland,
You could also change the timing chain cover to a later model. You'll also need to change the sleeve on the crank shaft too. I did this with my 68 460 and don.t have that power steering thing on the front anymore. I also don't get the oil leaks at the crank seal anymore.

Old 01-15-2004, 06:40 PM
djburland
New User
o-stone.... did you say "sleeve"? Oh-oh. I am having a reputable local machinist do the block and the heads for me and while I am having the machine work done, I am having him replace everything but the rods internally. This means the crank is being replaced also. The ways of the world are such that the new crank most certainly WONT have the proper sleeving.
That being said, I have the new timing cover in hand, with the new front seal and dipstick tube to go with it. Paid for...
What would it take to convert the power steering to a standard bracket-mounted unit? The pump and resevior, the mounting bracket....what about pulleys? Which pulley would I replace....
Would it be worth the trouble? I really hate leaks.
Thanks in advance.
Doug

Old 01-15-2004, 11:47 PM
Superdave
Posting Guru
djburland

At least there are no bids on it yet.

Be setting on it at the bell and then bid.

Old 01-18-2004, 01:00 PM
scroob
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Be setting on it at the bell and then bid.
He didn't. And he could have got it for $19.95.

Old 01-18-2004, 03:11 PM
djburland
New User
scroob,
Yeah, well that is because I contacted the seller, asked him (nicely) to end the auction early for a reasonable amount of money. I bought the lot offline for 50.00 plus 20.00 shipping. Not bad as a classic lincoln parts house in the south wanted 145 fot the cover, 225 for harmonic balancers and 300 for the power steering pump.....woof...not a bad days work! LOL

Old 01-19-2004, 10:22 PM
Superdave
Posting Guru
djburland

Sounds like you did good.

I was scrooling through e-bay that one evening and ran on to that item, and thought, I remember seeing someone was looking for this in the 460 forums.

I backtracked and found your post.