General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

To spank or not to spank

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 12:34 PM
Kundalini
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To spank or not to spank

I was just curious how you all tend to the youngins....
I personally can count on one hand how many times I spanked my oldest(now 13).. I was never very comfortable doing it.. I was spanked A LOT as a child and feel that I could not do it... but on the other hand when I did spank my son it was because a point needed to be made and fast. One time we were in a very crowded parking lot just days after the Northridge earthquake and the child darted out into traffic... my heart dropped, my hand went straight for his butt. Needless to say he got the point and never did that again. Mind you there were a few people around me giving me the stink eye because I was obviously abusing my child *rolling my eyes with exasperation*
so on that note what are your thoughts and what has worked for you. I have a soon to be toddler, and so far is understanding the word no, but there will be those special moments... Those with kids know these moment all to well, how do we disciplin our children in the anti spanking age ?

Old 01-13-2004, 12:42 PM
camo4stealth
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There has never been a child who at some point, could not benefit from a whack on the rear. No beatings, no abuse, just a little tuneup when needed. If administered properly, it is probably not needed more than a couple of times in their lives.

Old 01-13-2004, 12:54 PM
RBettis
New User
Can't agree more with the tune-up! Have three 7-2 and fiance has 11 boy and 8 daughter. The 11 is heading for good tune up if he don't change his ways. Tried taking away favorite things, sitting in corners, holding up the ways, etc. Nothing is working. So it will be back to the basics.

Old 01-13-2004, 12:59 PM
truckertaz
Posting Guru
My son is 7, I could probably count on 1 hand the number of times I spanked him. When he needs a "tune up" (thanks i may use that if you dont mind ) All I have to say is "Time for the 11-12-13 rule, and he straightens right up

11-12-13 rule for those that don't know . 11 doctors 12 hours to get my size 13 out of your _ _ _ (rump)

Old 01-13-2004, 01:04 PM
Black1
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IMO, there is no "fine line" between beating and a spanking. There's a world of difference. I've never had a problem with seeing someone give their child a swat on the bottom to get their attention.

Old 01-13-2004, 01:22 PM
Kundalini
Elder User
I agree.... another time I was in ToysRUs and there was a women with a small child who was throwing a complete temper tantrum... I was standing in line and the women behind me said... "That poor child" Now I had been watching this poor women try to pacify the kid and clearly doing what she could... I turned to her and said you obviously have no children, do you really think that mother wants her baby to be screaming like that.. Its amazing what people will think about certain things that they have absolutly no experience in... We all have said my child will never do that (when we didnt have children) and then we learn *grin*

Old 01-13-2004, 01:47 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
...And if this 46-year-old is on the receiving end, I'm all for it! OOOH, it hurts so GOOD!!

Old 01-13-2004, 01:53 PM
90ebbronc
Elder User
I dont have kids, and dont plan on having kids for awhile. But i will say this, my kids will get spanked or tuned up as u call it. I cant count how many times i got a whoopin, heck all my dad had to do when i was little and we were out, was say "do u want me to take ya to the car". By george i straightened right up, lol. And i hate picking out my own switches, that just makes it worse.

Old 01-13-2004, 02:01 PM
Bronco2Nic
Senior User
I think that a good wack across the rear is good for the kid. I you just tell him no and you send him to his room thats not gonna change much but smack him across the rear and its gonna hurt so the kid will listen and not want to have to go through that again.

Old 01-13-2004, 02:13 PM
Huntsman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with Black1, as there is a world of difference between a beating and a spanking. If a child learns at an early age, with a smack on the hand or bottom, then a little 'tune-up' is all that is necessary.

One of the greatest problems in America today is the breakdown of the family. All to often kids are having kids with most of them having no idea how to raise a child. Sorry, just my opinion and probably drifting off topic.

Old 01-13-2004, 02:18 PM
NH-Hottie
Postmaster
When my girls were younger, they got spankings a time or two. Now that they are older 9 and 12, they know how to toe the line. Then again, privileges taken away from them now at their age is a bigger punishment for them.

Old 01-13-2004, 02:23 PM
FordFadgeole
Postmaster
Spare the rod ,spoil the child.We spanked our children when they were real young,1-5 yrs.old.not hard,just enough to make it sting a little.Never with anything other than an open hand.and never anywhere other than on the butt.as they got older we used different measures.we had a problem with the kids not bringing their laundry downstairs.So i would give them an armload of laundry,then make them go up and down the stairs with it.didn't take them long to catch on .taking privlages away worked good for us.children are devistated by no tv,no nintendo,bedtime at 7:00,no pnone,no friends,no allowance,that type of thing.But as a rule we didn't spank much. Our type of discipline doesn't work for everyone.we were fortunate.

Old 01-13-2004, 02:29 PM
Andysutt
Postmaster
Well, just finding out that Im having a boy yesterday. I will speak my mind.
I will spank him, when he needs it.
If he just throws a fit, we'll have a talk and such
But if he does something worthy of a spanking he will get it
Notice I said spanking, not beating
I will never hit, slap, kick, push or anything of that nature
11 doctors 12 hours to get my size 13 out of your _ _ _ (rump)
I like that
As for the "do you want me to take you to the car? Ive heard that oh so many times

Old 01-13-2004, 06:49 PM
Kundalini
Elder User
Originally posted by Andysutt
Well, just finding out that Im having a boy yesterday.
Congrats! I think boys are so much easier! But I bet boys get more "tune ups" than girls

Old 01-13-2004, 07:04 PM
pro3qtr
Elder User
I like spankings !!!

Oops, U meant spanking kids, I don't do that.

Seems pointless, kids get used to it.

Quick Reply: To spank or not to spank