6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT Predator For 6.0L

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 06:13 AM
SBV45
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad to hear you survived Purple. As long as the people get through it, the rest can be rebuilt or replaced.

Old 09-09-2004, 06:57 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by purplewg
You are correct. I live 15 miles south of Melbourne and we were hit hard. No power for 4 days (I was luckly to get mine back that soon). I just got my phone back yesterday. I need a roof on my house. I spent two days cutting tree's and cleaning up debris and still have at least two more days. I also have to go to work.

There are many in FLA that are still without power and phone so hang in there I'm sure they are having problems also.
Glad to have you back and see that you made it through. Hang it there... apparently there's a 30 year cycle with hurricanes and you're in the worst part of the cycle. Here comes another one.

Old 09-09-2004, 07:36 AM
Tyler Townsley
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well having just pulled I 70 into Denver over 2 7k and one 11k passes with a 24 ft trailer loaded with household goods ~ 8k lbs with the tow haul selection of the Prediator in a 04 I can varify the radiator overflow problem mentioned earlier. It did not go below the low level in the filler but i think the problem is caused by the fan start temp. You could smell the overflow then the fan would come on. IF Diablo would lower the fan turn on point I think the problem would go away. With the stock guages you cannot tell just what the temps really were, what a lousy way to do guages on a work truck.

Truck pulled like a champ over all passes, 45 mph up the highest at 2500 rpm.

Tyler

Old 09-09-2004, 07:49 AM
Choctaw Bob
Postmaster
Originally Posted by purplewg
You are correct. I live 15 miles south of Melbourne and we were hit hard. No power for 4 days (I was luckly to get mine back that soon). I just got my phone back yesterday. I need a roof on my house. I spent two days cutting tree's and cleaning up debris and still have at least two more days. I also have to go to work.

There are many in FLA that are still without power and phone so hang in there I'm sure they are having problems also.
Hey Purple,
Glad you made it through in one piece. Hope the next one misses you completely.

Has anyone heard form the Judge?

Old 09-09-2004, 07:51 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Tyler,
this is a documented problem on even a good number of STOCK trucks....
some have suggested that the EGR wire disconnect may help keep this to a minimum...

I've not had any overflow since I had my degas bottle pressure cap replaced...
it's required to hold 15 lbs ?? of pressure and mine held 5

Many that run the predator keep their degas bottle level AT minimum, no more

Old 09-09-2004, 08:00 AM
Choctaw Bob
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Tyler Townsley
Well having just pulled I 70 into Denver over 2 7k and one 11k passes with a 24 ft trailer loaded with household goods ~ 8k lbs with the tow haul selection of the Prediator in a 04 I can varify the radiator overflow problem mentioned earlier. It did not go below the low level in the filler but i think the problem is caused by the fan start temp. You could smell the overflow then the fan would come on. IF Diablo would lower the fan turn on point I think the problem would go away. With the stock guages you cannot tell just what the temps really were, what a lousy way to do guages on a work truck.

Truck pulled like a champ over all passes, 45 mph up the highest at 2500 rpm.

Tyler
Thanks for the obversation on the radiator overflow. I have left mine at the low level mark for 7 months and 25,000 miles and it never lost another drop.

The factory gages suck. The oil pressure gage registers half way at anything above 7 PSI. & 7 PSI is not enough to get you over the mountain passes.

Did you move out ahead of Charlie and Francis?

Old 09-09-2004, 10:32 AM
zirius
Junior User
I think I've decided to get the Predator, but have a few questions that I didn't find the anwsers to after two days of reading this thread. I am mainly after increased MPG's.....or at least that's a good pitch to the wife that someone mentioned a few days ago.
Do I still need the latest flash in my 3/03 built engine? Can I get a copy of the flash from Diablosport?
I plan to keep this truck for the long haul, sould I be concerned with any increased engine wear. I highly doubt I will use the 100hp setting.

I have enjoyed reading this thread....better than a novel. I really look foreword to seeing the results!

Old 09-09-2004, 10:58 AM
Choctaw Bob
Postmaster
Originally Posted by zirius
I think I've decided to get the Predator, but have a few questions that I didn't find the anwsers to after two days of reading this thread. I am mainly after increased MPG's.....or at least that's a good pitch to the wife that someone mentioned a few days ago.
Do I still need the latest flash in my 3/03 built engine? Can I get a copy of the flash from Diablosport?
I plan to keep this truck for the long haul, sould I be concerned with any increased engine wear. I highly doubt I will use the 100hp setting.

I have enjoyed reading this thread....better than a novel. I really look foreword to seeing the results!
I have been running the 65 HP mode for 20,000+ miles without trouble. My oil samples at Blackstone have not shown any signs of abnormal wear. I plan on keeping mine for 150K to 300K.
My truck is an 06-03 build date.
The Predator will enable you to download and save your stock tune to your PC as a backup. I have saved mine.
I would leave your stock flash in the truck as long as it runs OK. Some of us with the old flashes have the most power on the dyno after adding the Predator.
I get better mileage but it is hard to prove because I can't keep my foot out of it or the grin off my face!

Old 09-09-2004, 10:59 AM
eharman
Senior User
I have only been using the Predator for 30 days. I use only the 45hp mode.
I do have and exhaust upgrade and an AFE PG7 intake.
I noticed an increase in mpg combined city/hwy if I stay out of the go
pedal . It tows like a raped ape in the 45 hp mode. I have only tried
the 65 hp mode for a couple of days. The tires will not last long in that
mode. It will chirp the tires in the first two gear shifts .
I went back to the 45 hp mode and left it there. Go for it. You will be !
I have not tried the 100hp mode. I am a weak person and I remember how
I was when I had an Eliminator Cougar.
You will need to get the latest flash to use the Predator, I only have the Oct
flash.
EJ

Last edited by eharman; 09-09-2004 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:07 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
EJ,
not ALL require the latest flash...
some are running on trucks with pre October flashes in them....

in MY testing since January when they first came out....

Yes, I can increase my mpg's SUBSTANTIALLY if I drive conservatively...
Since I don't drive that way - I get some a measurable increase in mpg WITH
more performance and a margin of safety....
(safety - like when an idiot was pulling out in front of me and not being able to stop in time would have CAUSED a crash - whereas hard acceleration to get ahead and over in front of the car to my left allowed me to get by....

it makes the heavy X perform like a sports car...

get it - you WON"T be disappointed - with the 30 day trial period, free next day shipping, and excellent customer service I got from motorhaven - it was a no brainer !

Last edited by jdadamsjr; 09-09-2004 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:10 AM
zirius
Junior User
Holy poop! You guys are on it. You guys need to be on the Diablosport pay role.
Thanks alot for the quick respones! I am going to Moorhaven now.

Old 09-09-2004, 11:14 AM
eharman
Senior User
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
EJ,
not ALL require the latest flash...
some are running on trucks with pre October flashes in them....

in MY testing since January when they first came out....

Yes, I can increase my mpg's SUBSTANTIALLY if I drive conservatively...
Since I don't drive that way - I get some a measurable increase in mpg WITH
more performance and a margin of safety....
(safety - like when an idiot was pulling out in front of me and not being able to stop in time would have CAUSED a crash - whereas hard acceleration to get ahead and over in front of the car to my left allowed me to get by....

it makes the heavy X perform like a sports car...

get it - you WON"T be disappointed - with the 30 day trial period, free next day shipping, and excellent customer service I got from motorhaven - it was a no brainer !
Thanks for the correction. And be sure to go to MotorHaven! Great people.
, EJ

Old 09-09-2004, 11:17 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
EJ,
No Problem....
I have the Dec 03 flash.... but I know not all do...

zirius,
we just like the results the product has given us....

(I know - odd that we would be Enthusiasts about something on an Enthusiasts web site )

But there is one serious drawback from using the predator.....

If you have to go back to stock.... it SUCKS

Old 09-09-2004, 12:13 PM
resqdawg3
Senior User
June 03 Flash on my truck. Running the 65hp mode, and it runs like a raped ape! w00t!! The 100HP mode won't let you have traction till you hit 4th gear, trust me. I can take pictures of the patch if you want me to...lol So, if you go to the 100HP mode, MAKE SURE, you don't punch it from a standstill. Otherwise you'll be cleaning rubber off your truck for the next week and a half! lol This tool has GOT TO BE the best thing I have spend my Mod money on so far this year!!

Old 09-09-2004, 09:24 PM
Tyler Townsley
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Choctaw Bob
Did you move out ahead of Charlie and Francis?
Stayed for Charlie, it went 15 east of me so we missed the real weather. Had planned to move son from Calif to Chicago, Frances came in behind me but wife stayed home. She was not pleased so tried to run in before but could not make it. Finally left trailer in Tallahassee and ran home Monday, heavy winds and rain but all was well at home.

Truck story 2003 PSD Dually with rebuilt title. Since I knew I was going to be hauling a trailer with car to Calif then HH goods to Chicago I changed oil to 20-50 Redline. I used the tow/haul mode in the prediator and the truck ran like a champ until the last gas up just prior to Calif. After fueling up the truck it romped badly on startup but settled down. We got most way up the C?????? Summit and noticed oil on the side of the trailer. Pulled over at summit, oil all over the drivers side of the motor. Oil is being dumped out the radiator overflow, no water in crankcase but down 7 qts. NO trouble codes set in computer. Left the trailer at the summit and get truck flatbeded to Ford dealer in Indio, they cannot look at/ fix it for at least 5 days. I had to be in Chicago in 5 days soooo they had a 04 9k mile tradein (that day) (Checked the computer for 04 PSD duallys in southern Calif and there was only 1 and it had 4wheel drive, I bought the tradein(took a huge hit since the motor was 'totaled' no warrentee on rebuilt trucks) pulled the calibration out of the 03 (after hours) and left. What happened to the 03? I think the romps combined with the heavier oil blew the seal between the oil/water intercooler and it was pumping oil into cooling system. I posted this as a question 2 weeks ago and that was what was suggested as the problem. I do not know but if someone wants a good 03 truck(15,000 mi), its Fiesta Ford and according to them the motor is totaled with no warentee so it should be real cheap. Put 4k miles on the 04 and no problems so far. I notice that the 03 had much better down hill control than the 04, I could run a %6 downgrade with a car in the trailer without using the brakes but the 04 requires brakes in the same situation.

Tyler

Quick Reply: MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT Predator For 6.0L