What kind of paint is it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 09:34 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by marc9000
Biz4two - for the outside of the truck only, 2 qts of each color should be enough. If you're doing the doorjambs and the inside of the bed you'll probably need qt. no. 3 of the white. You might want to compare the cost of a whole gallon of white with the cost of 3 qts. - there won't be much difference. About 6 qts. of clear for two sprayings. (about 1 qt. for each pass around the truck - not incl. bed inside)

Cost - including thinners and hardeners, about $550 - $600. (just ballpark - I may be a little out of touch with prices and they may vary around the country)

marc
Again...Thanks for all the info. Actually I will not be doing the inside of the bed...as I am going to have a Rhino lined bedliner applied. So, will save in paint cost, but will more than spend that for the bedliner.

Really looking forward to getting this part of the project going.

Old 01-19-2004, 11:42 PM
kenseth17
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Decided to pm, sorry, won't let me delete.

Last edited by kenseth17; 01-20-2004 at 12:03 AM.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:04 AM
blueoval66
Senior User
Sorry about url try http-www.smartshoppersinc.com

Old 01-20-2004, 09:59 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Originally posted by blueoval66
Sorry about url try http-www.smartshoppersinc.com
Now that's the ticket! Thanks blueoval66 for the link.

Old 01-24-2004, 07:02 PM
Matt_W
Senior User
I just saw this thread and i figured id throw in my 2 cents as an amature at painting. I did my bronco with the PPG Omni system. Its single stage acrylic enamel and I got pretty decent results having never done it before. The Omni primer covered really well. Im not sure where the 400-500 on paint comes in. I bought a gallon of paint for about 85 bucks. You are also gonna need at least a gallon of laquer thinner, the reducer and hardner and dont forget the wax and grease remover. The total cost of materials including paint and primer was in the range of about 200 bucks maybe slightly more.

I didnt even use an HVLP gun for most of it and i have pleanty of paint left over. As for the shine, after color sanding and buffing it looks almost as good as a 2 stage system (of course im no professional. my standards might be a little low). I was concidering putting a clear on over it as well, but just remember if you do put a clear on, it has to be right after you put on the color (according to my paint guy). You dont have a few weeks to decide if the shine of the 1 stage is good enough. I ended up just leaving it alone without a clearcoat....I dont know how its gonna hold up cause the car is still in the garage. Hasnt been driven yet since the paintjob.

If you have 500 bucks to spend but still decide on a cheaper paint system DEFINATELY spend the money on getting a good gun. The better the gun the less mistakes will show up from inexperienced painting.

Old 01-24-2004, 08:09 PM
kenseth17
Elder User
I used the omni mae single stage on my bonneville over 4yrs ago. Still has good gloss with just washing occasionally. It was $90 for a gallon of white with hardener. It would be great for a good looking cheap paint job. I don't believe they have factory colors in the mae line, it is marketed as a fleet paint, but great for an older car you want to look nice that will be a complete paint job so you don't have to match the factory color. They are good for the price, but alot of the base colors(if using base/clear system) I've used do not cover well, but it half the price of the deltron line. Once you get past the smell of the omni line (got to be the worst I've run into) they are pretty good for a cheaper paint job. I've used Mar-hyde urethane primer under them, and have cleared omni base with Marhyde clear with no problems.

Old 01-24-2004, 10:58 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Originally posted by Matt_W
I just saw this thread and i figured id throw in my 2 cents as an amature at painting. I did my bronco with the PPG Omni system. Its single stage acrylic enamel and I got pretty decent results having never done it before. The Omni primer covered really well. Im not sure where the 400-500 on paint comes in. I bought a gallon of paint for about 85 bucks. You are also gonna need at least a gallon of laquer thinner, the reducer and hardner and dont forget the wax and grease remover. The total cost of materials including paint and primer was in the range of about 200 bucks maybe slightly more.

I didnt even use an HVLP gun for most of it and i have pleanty of paint left over. As for the shine, after color sanding and buffing it looks almost as good as a 2 stage system (of course im no professional. my standards might be a little low). I was concidering putting a clear on over it as well, but just remember if you do put a clear on, it has to be right after you put on the color (according to my paint guy). You dont have a few weeks to decide if the shine of the 1 stage is good enough. I ended up just leaving it alone without a clearcoat....I dont know how its gonna hold up cause the car is still in the garage. Hasnt been driven yet since the paintjob.

If you have 500 bucks to spend but still decide on a cheaper paint system DEFINATELY spend the money on getting a good gun. The better the gun the less mistakes will show up from inexperienced painting.
Thanks Matt! You provided excellent information. When you talk about adding the clear coat over the acrylic enamel...just how much time do I have? Are we talking days, hours, or minutes???

Thanks again!

Old 01-25-2004, 12:11 AM
kenseth17
Elder User
http://www.ppg.com/refinishftpsite/docs/ob001.pdf Check the tech sheet for the clear you are using, and see if its compatable with the paint. I believe this is ppg budget clear, and it says it can be applied over mae. I think it says up to a week, but i normally spray clear after the color has set up for maybe a half hour or so, maybe a little longer if it is a metallic. Don't spray first coat of clear on too heavy over metallic colors cause it can move the metallic around.

Old 01-25-2004, 09:37 AM
Matt_W
Senior User
Im not really sure of the exact time frame and i dont wanna give you the wrong information. Your local automotive paint store guy should be able to tell you that....or maybe if you email PPG. If i were to guess i would say spray it after the color sets maybe after an hour or something like Kenseth said.

Im not really sure about the Omni line being a fleet paint. They were able to mix the color i wanted.... Well actully i origionally asked for Ford yellow chrome (or something like that) but that color couldnt be mixed so i went for chrysler dandelion yellow (Viper yellow) and im happy with the color choice. The paint guy said the lighter the color the less the mistakes will show. He said white and yellow will hide mistakes the best and i wanted yellow anyway so i was all set.

As for the smell i couldnt really tell you because its the only automotive paint i have ever used. I used a charcoal resporator throughout the process and it seemed to do ok but i also had a lot of ventilation.

You can see some bad pictures i took in my dark garage just to get an idea of the glossyness of the paint. http://photos.yahoo.com/ritzimzimma

Id take some better ones but im away at school. I hope that link works. Ive never tried posting pictures before so i dont know.

Old 01-25-2004, 11:51 AM
kenseth17
Elder User
The omni mbc (basecoat) has factory colors. I don't believe the mae acrylic enamel single stage does. I believe the mae single stage is marketed for fleet use so has a more limited choice of colors, but I have only used it on one car so far so I am not positive. Anyways, it looks good for the price. You shouldn't be able to smell it when you have on your charcoal respirator, if you do check the fit of your respirator or change the charcoal cannisters and filters. I was talking when you open the can before you even mix in any hardener or reducer. I don't remember it being as bad with other paints I've used.

Last edited by kenseth17; 01-25-2004 at 12:04 PM.