General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

MAJOR traction problem in ice (duh) ;)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 02:16 AM
Tempe
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAJOR traction problem in ice (duh) ;)

98 Ford Ranger Supercab 4X4 5-Speed

We just got our first snowfall not long ago. Although the parking spaces in my apartment complex parking lot are rather bare, the driveway part is just a sheet of ice.

Our story begins as I back out of the space. I have absolutely no problems in reverse. However, when I switch into first gear, I am in a world of poo-poo. In 2WD my passenger side rear tire just spins and the truck barely moves. In 4WD both passenger side tires spin, but the driver side tires don't move at all.

As I'm "sliding" out of the parking lot, the truck is turning towards the left. Turning the wheel to the right helps little. Once I get on to the side street and my tires catch the blacktop, I can feel them catch; the truck then moves normally.

If I'm doing about 5 MPH or faster, such as coming from the side street into the parking lot, I am fine. However, if I don't have any momentum, the tires just keep spinning out! When I get out of the truck and walk to the rear, I smell a faint burning scent. It almost smells like burnt rubber or oil.

Would loading a couple hundred pounds in the bed alleviate this problem? what else could cause this? I hope it's nothing expensive cuz my CC is practically maxed out and I'm broke as hell

Tempe

Old 01-08-2004, 02:30 AM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A few hundred pounds placed over the rear axle will help, yes. Whether it will completely cure the problem is something you'll have to find out by trying; sand bags at one convenience store here are $2.99 for 50 lbs. On the other hand, it would be nice if the property manager tossed some sand/gravel/salt/other ice melter on the icy patch. This would probably prove more effective than the weight will.

Old 01-08-2004, 02:45 AM
Tempe
Senior User
You think there could be anything wrong mechanically? Why would the one wheel not even spin?

Tempe

Old 01-08-2004, 02:57 AM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you don't have a limited slip rear end, the power goes to the tire with the least traction. All rear ends that do not have limitied slip or posi will behave like this; there is nothing wrong with the truck.

Old 01-08-2004, 02:59 AM
pro3qtr
Elder User
open differential on both ends

Get some sand for the bed and parking lot

On Ice there is not much U can really do.

Old 01-08-2004, 03:00 AM
Tempe
Senior User
Aight.. thanks guys!

tempe

Old 01-08-2004, 05:33 AM
13hondacr250
Posting Guru
If you put in stuff in the bed make sure it is low and if you can buckle it down. It can move around. Plus it can come through the cab if you hit someone. Co-worker is now a vegetable after he rear ended a tank truck and his tool box hit him in the back of the head about 2 month ago. Very sad.

Old 01-08-2004, 08:43 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Start off in second or even third gear It will limit the torque to the wheels. My son showed this trick to a guy driving an F-150 the other day and got the "bird" for his help. I guess a 30 yr old couldn't take a driving lesson from an 18 yr old! My son was a little "disappointed" at the actions of an "adult".

Old 01-08-2004, 09:03 AM
phatpharm85
Elder User
Also try applying your emergency brake a little, I'de say maybe half way but you really have to play with it to find out. The idea is to apply enough e-brake so as not to completly lock up the rear tires but enough to somewhat equal out the resistance between the two. This way here it will make the differential "think" that both tires are going to spin fairly evenly and the touqre will be more evenly split between the two. It will also help to "slow down" the tires a little. If you are in four wheel drive try holding you foot on the regualr brake(very intersting with a standard, takes practice), it will have the same effect as the e-brake but on all four wheels and you can modulate it better. The e-brake trick was the only way I was able to get a mercury grand marquis into my shop a week ago.

p.s. IT ONLY WORKS ON REAR(e-brake) OR FOUR WHEEL DRIVE(reg brakes) VEHICLES!!

Old 01-08-2004, 09:25 AM
FordFadgeole
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One solution would be studed snow treads.

Old 01-08-2004, 10:06 AM
dhermesc
Posting Guru
If you think your going to encounter ice quite a bit, studded tires and some sand bags in the back are the best way to go. Not a lot of friction generated with rubber on ice.

Old 01-08-2004, 03:05 PM
13hondacr250
Posting Guru
Off topic a bit but I seen a front wheel drive car with chains on the rear tires once. I about drove off the road laughing so darn hard.

Old 01-08-2004, 04:01 PM
acerockola77
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You from the Northwest Tempe?

Old 01-08-2004, 04:59 PM
otto
Posting Guru
I would call the complex manager or owner and tell there is a hazard of ice eveywhere, what if you slid sideways into a parked car, its rediculious they cant maintain the crap

I went thru it at a car wash employees didnt salt the exit of an automatic car wash, well all that water dripping off the cars exiting built up about 2" high ice, the chain had already drug the next car in and my truck needed out i press the gas trying to get out 2wd limited slip both tires spun the side of my new stepside slid into some nasty concrete bricks that were quite corse and rough

I went in really pissed off and 2 employees were working 18 year old kids who were to cold and lazy to go out and do part of their job just cuased $500 in damage got the owners number talked to them told them the situation and that I had pics of all the ice and that it wasnt salted at all, I had a check the next week I provided 3 estimates, what a hassle, the employees took polaroids of everything per the manager, Im sure the owner knew right away when he saw it

Pretty impossible to jump a 2" ice curb with a 2wd truck

2nd gear starting does help alot, alot of ford autos will start in 2nd if you put in 2, my gtp has a 2nd gear start switch, one fellow I knew called it "torque reduction" on his e4od

Old 01-08-2004, 05:15 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
One more good reasion to drive a stick! My little car sometimes has trouble getting going, and 2nd works great. The expy OTOH, I never have trouble with that beast.

Quick Reply: MAJOR traction problem in ice (duh) ;)