Dodge Throws a Punch - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Dodge Throws a Punch

Old 01-05-2004, 09:09 AM
da cubs
Senior User
da cubs is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quaddak,

If you like Dodge so much, why are you on a Ford web page? Go to the Dodge forums so you can brag about your 'hemis and 5.9 Rams' that burn out transmissions every 70k miles!

I can get 1% UNDER dealer invoice on any Dodge vehicle from a friend(chrysler employee), and I laughed when he mentioned I should get a Ram. I'll spend more $ on a ford so I can tow my boat without fear of blowing a trans.

Have fun racing your Hemi. I'll honk my horn when I drive by you sitting in the dealer's waiting room waiting for your truck to be fixed. AH HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Horribly
Engineered
Motor
Inside

Old 01-05-2004, 11:36 AM
78custom
Senior User
78custom is starting off with a positive reputation.
jeepguy like I said if your going to bash a Ford engine on a Ford website then don't say the Hemi is a stronger engine than the 5.4 it's not. Now saying that the hemi is more powerful than the 5.4 in the new F150 is a better statement. Because your forgetting about the 5.4 in the lightining. the 5.4 is a awsome egine and it's full potential is'nt reached in the new F150 not even in the lightining. ford knows that their engine is not as powerful as the others (or so I think) but since didge decided to put more of a performance engine in their truck doesn't mean that it's superior to a 5.4 and maby the hemi can be a powerhouse but until we see numbers that exceed a lightining 5.4 the Hemi is the engine that is underpowered. I know your talking about the new practical trucks and not the lighting but give credit where credit is due. who knows a mad lighting owner with a stock 5.4 could just meet you at a stop light and then you might be a little respectful of a 5.4.

Old 01-05-2004, 11:36 AM
Quaddak
Junior User
Quaddak is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally posted by bassdude
the thing that bugs me about the new hemi isn't the motor, it's the people who buy them and think they are owning a piece of muscle car history. i was on the dodge site and one guy actually thought his new hemi was an exact repro of the 426 only smaller. another posted pictures of a 426 head and claimed it was the 5.7 head. I'm sure it's a good strong running motor but it ain't no 426. also notice how the owners talk about their vehicles. they are so infatuated with the word hemi they leave out the truck part and just use the engine name. i was around when hemi powered cars hit the streets, we never called a hemi cuda a 'hemi'. if a guy went to the dealer drove the truck liked it and bought it more power to him. but i believe a lot of them heard 'hemi' ran down and bought the truck without a thought as to how it really runs. I'm not a dodge hater, i own one and it's a great truck.
Looks to me like good Marketing. And it appears to be working. Why is that ford should and now nissian feels the need to develope comparision commercials showing how they out pull the Dodge? That alone will contribute to ford and dodge guys problems.

I agree that there are a lot of miss-informed people out their. But it is there own fault. Damiler has the right to the name. What it means is up to each individual to decide.

Old 01-05-2004, 11:51 AM
Quaddak
Junior User
Originally posted by 78custom
imo the new hemi brings a conflict to the truck market. maby just the comercials but so many people now think that because there ride has a hemi that it will outrun anything. I've heard people talk about there hemi or a freinds hemi and they sound like a bunch of ricers. My new hemi blows away a 5.4 sounds the same as my V-tec will blow away that 427. it's childish and if Ford were really scared of the new hemi the would drop a lighting 5.4 in the new F 150. then lets see what the hemi crowed would say about that. If Ford were truly going to lose sales because of the hemi or another engine they could easily put out do the compitition. I just think that those ignorant new hemi owners should give alittle thought to what they bash. vice versa I also hate it when they say a 5.4 is crap refering to a new F150 when they say a lighting is fast, what do you think the lighting has? a 4.6? maby it's just the people around here i don't know.
78 please re-read your post. It is Ford that brought the conflict to the truck market by making their comparision commercials. Notice the orginal Hemi Ram commercials always had other Mopars in them. Not any other makes. Ford brought the conflict and I can tell you why. Simply put, the world fears the chrysler Hemi. Both in yester year and today. History proves that the Hemi stands by it self. It is the engine used today to push the fastest cars down the 1/4 mile track, making in excess of 750 hp per cylinder. Look at Top fuel and Funny car and tell me what the dominate engine is. Even ford has a Hemi, and calls it such. What is up with that. The Pro Stock ford motors are Hemi's. What is up with that?

Ford is losing sales. Someone is, how can the Dodge Ram go from 7 or 8th on the sales list to 3rd and not be taken away sales. And if ford was not concerned with the Hemi, why make a mockery of dodge commercials?

At the sametime, there are just as many ignorate ford owners, that how it is. Ford started the bashing, and continues to do it. The owners are not any better. Fords needs to really take another look at what is going on both on the field and off the field.

Old 01-05-2004, 11:57 AM
Quaddak
Junior User
Originally posted by MountainHound
Geez. Why are there so many Dodge fans hanging around here??

I personally haven't seen any 5.4L owners here claiming they can outrun a 5.7L Ram so why are you Dodge guys so dang defensive about it to the point you're willing to waste so much time on a n non-Dodge site defending your over-hyped precious "Hemis"?? Get a life.

If you have a problem with Ford's commercial go whine to Ford. Do you realize how stupid it sounds to cry about it on a Ford trucks fansite? Noone here makes those commercials!

Ever notice that a Dodge Ram 5.7L isn't called a Ram anymore?? Nope. It's called a "Hemi"! How stupid is that. Does this mean I should start calling my F250 a "Triton"?? I can't even drive across town without some mean-looking kid in a Ram (sometimes Dakotas as well) trying to race me at a light or tailgate me up an on-ramp in an attempt to draw attention to their flashy new "Hemi".

I guess they can't miss a chance to reaasure themselves their Hemi Rams are as awesome as Dodge's commercials claim.
MountainHound, you right about the commercials, however, ford is one creating conflicting atmoshpere around here by putting out their non truth commercials. There are plenty of ford owners out their claiming to have outrun the Hemi Ram's.

BTW, Hemi is not the name of the Dodge Ram. Not every Ram is a Hemi. Hemi is the marketing name for the engine.

Old 01-05-2004, 12:07 PM
Quaddak
Junior User
Originally posted by 78custom
jeepguy like I said if your going to bash a Ford engine on a Ford website then don't say the Hemi is a stronger engine than the 5.4 it's not. Now saying that the hemi is more powerful than the 5.4 in the new F150 is a better statement. Because your forgetting about the 5.4 in the lightining. the 5.4 is a awsome egine and it's full potential is'nt reached in the new F150 not even in the lightining. ford knows that their engine is not as powerful as the others (or so I think) but since didge decided to put more of a performance engine in their truck doesn't mean that it's superior to a 5.4 and maby the hemi can be a powerhouse but until we see numbers that exceed a lightining 5.4 the Hemi is the engine that is underpowered. I know your talking about the new practical trucks and not the lighting but give credit where credit is due. who knows a mad lighting owner with a stock 5.4 could just meet you at a stop light and then you might be a little respectful of a 5.4.
78 - dodge doesn't need the Hemi to outperform the lightning. There are quite a few 5.9 magums out there that will handle the lightning. Recently in Sport Truck Nationals in Arizona, the dodges took many many races from the lightnings. Fasted ET, highest MPH, fasted naturally asperated 12 flat time, many of the bracket races as well. I have personally seen a Dakota club cab run a 10.37 in the 1/4 mile. The fasted Hemi Ram I know of is 14.0 with exhaust and intake work. That is real close to the stock lightning. Add a supercharger and they will run over 500 hp with only 8 psi boost. I for one do not respect any type of power adders. If you want to impress me, take the power adders off.

Old 01-05-2004, 12:23 PM
Quaddak
Junior User
Originally posted by da cubs
Quaddak,

If you like Dodge so much, why are you on a Ford web page? Go to the Dodge forums so you can brag about your 'hemis and 5.9 Rams' that burn out transmissions every 70k miles!

I can get 1% UNDER dealer invoice on any Dodge vehicle from a friend(chrysler employee), and I laughed when he mentioned I should get a Ram. I'll spend more $ on a ford so I can tow my boat without fear of blowing a trans.

Have fun racing your Hemi. I'll honk my horn when I drive by you sitting in the dealer's waiting room waiting for your truck to be fixed. AH HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Horribly
Engineered
Motor
Inside
And the ford bashing continues. Go the dodge forums for a minute, you will not even start the see the amount of bashing and down grading of the other makes that you have here. Again, I say ford is the reason for these conflicts. Also to, maybe just a little resentment because dodge has the upper hand when it comes to the new 5.4 ford engine and looks and price, and performance.

Instead of bashing why don't ford choose to work on their stuff and give the people what they want. Show some leadership, but you know what, ford is not going to do anything as long as they sale trucks, why would they? Oh, they may make improvments here and there, but come on. Don't resort to bashing and mockery to hide the real truth. Face it like a man and either do something about it or accept it.

I don't own a hemi, I do have plenty of dodges. I have a dakota quad cab that has eaten many lightnings and mustangs in the 60'. Talk about low end torque. That 5.9 magum will do it.

Since 1990, I have had 2 dodge caravans, on my second dakota, I currenlty have 2 full size rams, one 1973 big block challenger and one small block road runner. So far in my last 13 years of ownership, I have only had one vehical back at the dealer for a busted hinge on my console.

I sold my 90 Dakota with 146k miles on it and still had the orginal belts and exhaust on it. I work with the person who bought it and he has over 220k miles on it and still has the orginal exhaust.

Don't expect to see me anytime soon.....

Can you Hemi now?

Old 01-05-2004, 12:37 PM
Carlene
Admom
Carlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputation
Alright Guys - lets keep it to Tech Talk.

Thanks.

Old 01-05-2004, 05:32 PM
bassdude
Elder User
bassdude is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally posted by Quaddak

Since 1990, I have had 2 dodge caravans, on my second dakota, I currenlty have 2 full size rams, one 1973 big block challenger and one small block road runner. So far in my last 13 years of ownership, I have only had one vehical back at the dealer for a busted hinge on my console.

[/B]
did you get the challenger and 'runner reversed? because they made no small block road runners and loads of small block challengers. I've owned lots of mopers over the years also, thats why i can honestly say in my opinion fords are better. technically

Old 01-05-2004, 06:05 PM
otto
Posting Guru
otto is starting off with a positive reputation.
yes many 318 smog challengers, were any lean burn equipped ?

Lightnings turn 12.8 all day 03 Cobra does it in 12.6 easily, smaller blower pullies on either will take .3-.4 off that e.t.

I also call BS on a quad cab keeping anywhere close to a Lightning, I mean the Dakota R/T is lucky to run a mid 14 if not a high 14, so whats makes your truck so hot ?

03 Cobra Dynojet

Last edited by otto; 01-05-2004 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:47 PM
jpsartre12
Posting Guru
jpsartre12 is starting off with a positive reputation.

I never had a doubt and still don't that the dodge Hemi is the way to go. Lighter, more cost effective to build, and more performance than the dodge 5.9 magnum. On top of this using old school technology (single cam, pushrod and Hemi design) to do it. None of these fancy 3 or 4 valves per cylinder or using variable valve timing that eventually will end up costing the truck owners more to repair. Come on guys, can’t argue with way of thinking.

I guess I don't have a deep-seated brand loyalty, since I own GMs, a Ford and Chryslers at the moment, but I do like fast cars and sound technology. No question that the 426 Hemi was the king of drag racing. But, it's too expensive to maintain a hemi as a weekend drag racer. My neighbor, a long-time Chrysler employee with an old 67 Cuda and new Hemi 3500 Ram laughed at my son and me working on our Z28s on the weekend and said "You should have bought a Mopar" My reply to him was "We wanted to go fast, not spend a lot."

Dodge does make me very proud with this commercial because I know it demonstrates that they will stand behind their owners and not lay down! I personally believe that is the new Dodge. This is only the start of the new performance dodge/chrylser. Heck, the SRT-4 is running 13.8’s to 13.3’s (with a stage one performance factory option) and trapping at over 107 mph in the ¼. Only the beginning…… Can’t wait for the return to V-8’s and rear wheel drive cars….

I considered buying a new Neon to replace my 99 Neon, but they didn't offer the SRT-4 with an automatic. With all of the traffic that I have to deal with daily plus the fact that my wife would also be driving it, I couldn't do it. Instead, I bought a 1994 Z28 w/396 stroker motor running 11's that she'll never set foot in.

But, the future of motor innovation doesn't lie with the new hemi, IMHO, it lies in the new dual overhead cam Cobra heads. When perfected, I predict it will put Ford back in the drag racing game. It has low moving mass, fewer parts, dedicated intake and exhaust cams with better lift geometry and straighter airflow paths. The heads should flow like water off of Niagara Falls. and allow the motor to rev like a two-stroke.

Old 01-05-2004, 06:50 PM
jpsartre12
Posting Guru
jpsartre12 is starting off with a positive reputation.
78 - dodge doesn't need the Hemi to outperform the lightning. There are quite a few 5.9 magums out there that will handle the lightning. Recently in Sport Truck Nationals in Arizona, the dodges took many many races from the lightnings. Fasted ET, highest MPH, fasted naturally asperated 12 flat time, many of the bracket races as well. I have personally seen a Dakota club cab run a 10.37 in the 1/4 mile. The fasted Hemi Ram I know of is 14.0 with exhaust and intake work. That is real close to the stock lightning. Add a supercharger and they will run over 500 hp with only 8 psi boost. I for one do not respect any type of power adders. If you want to impress me, take the power adders off.
How about a naturally aspirated 3600 pound small block stock bodied Z28 street rod running low 11's on pump gas?

Old 01-05-2004, 07:21 PM
otto
Posting Guru
otto is starting off with a positive reputation.
yea weird how he makes reference to the srt 4 banger and how great it is, but then goes on further to say power adders do not impress him

Well which is it sir ?, as rush says "you cant have it both ways" tho many would like to have it both ways

Old 01-05-2004, 08:22 PM
Quaddak
Junior User
Originally posted by otto
yea weird how he makes reference to the srt 4 banger and how great it is, but then goes on further to say power adders do not impress him

Well which is it sir ?, as rush says "you cant have it both ways" tho many would like to have it both ways
Otto, come on, get it straight. Were did I say the SRT was that great. I simply made reference to a 4 cylinder with a power adder that will run with a stock lightning to demostrate that with power adders anything is possible. I'm still not impressed with what power adders do.

Old 01-05-2004, 08:28 PM
Quaddak
Junior User
Originally posted by otto
yes many 318 smog challengers, were any lean burn equipped ?

Lightnings turn 12.8 all day 03 Cobra does it in 12.6 easily, smaller blower pullies on either will take .3-.4 off that e.t.

I also call BS on a quad cab keeping anywhere close to a Lightning, I mean the Dakota R/T is lucky to run a mid 14 if not a high 14, so whats makes your truck so hot ?

03 Cobra Dynojet
You can call BS on the quad cab all you want. Go back and read the thread again to see what it really says. Again, you missed the information that I presented.

I am sure there are some 12.8 lightnings. "All day" is simply over dramatic. I have seen 13.8 stock lightnings, never any 12's. I call the BS on the 12.8 stock lightnings. Again, take away the power adders and what do you have?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dodge Throws a Punch

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.