1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would the suspension from a Lightning work on a Bronco?

Old 01-02-2004, 09:53 AM
alk3myst
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would the suspension from a Lightning work on a Bronco?

I have seen some Lightning Broncos, but all have been 2WD and that is not what I am trying to do.

Performance is sorted out already 408W and all the goodies...it's powerful....however, now the truck sits about 1" higher....there is a garage it has to park in that was built to low and now unless creeping it hits the roof.

If I went with the Lightning's suspension would that work and how much lower will it be? I am looking at 1-2" only not down to the ground.

Air suspension may work also.

What would I need (coil/leaf springs, A-arms, shocks/struts, shackles, etc)?

Thanks

Å

Old 01-02-2004, 10:20 AM
alanscott
Posting Guru
2wd versus 4wd, they are not interchangable.

Old 01-02-2004, 05:40 PM
alk3myst
Senior User
damn this sucks....it's only going to be a matter of time before the roof kisses the beams in the garage.

That Warn 12000lb winch and parking 'on the side' of the garage is sounding good now .

Anyway to shave off 2" from the truck? Money is not a problem to do this, after the engine and trans work it's all dimes and nickels now .

Å

Old 01-02-2004, 08:26 PM
3broncocrazy
Postmaster
Hmmmmm,
So you gotta 2wd bronco huh?

I got one too. Dang open dif.

Old 01-02-2004, 10:14 PM
steell
Senior User
Hmmmm, money no issue eh?

You could section the top (take out 2")

It would be fairly expensive, but it would look cool!

Be a whole lot cheaper to put short tires on it for work, and swap to the big ones for play

Steve

Last edited by steell; 01-02-2004 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:56 PM
90ebbronc
Elder User
hmmmm a chopped top bronco, now that would be sweet as hell and mean looking.

Old 01-02-2004, 11:11 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
ok ok ok...I know I cannot be the only one in here to catch this....no such animal as a 2wd Bronco....at least not from the factory. Although, I must admit, it could be interesting to see one. But then again, wouldnt it just be easier to buy a new SUV?

Old 01-04-2004, 09:39 AM
alk3myst
Senior User
well my dad would have had it easier buying a new SUV but the Bronco adds alot of pluses the new and extremely large ones dont. It's amazing how little towing capacity these beasts today have.

In regards to tires....well the tires are 31" not really made for mudding or anything like that. This is a street truck that needs to pull a 5000lb+ boat on weekends and do commuter duty monday through friday. The tire changing would be impractical as 4 tires and wheels aren't exactly small to store.

It's probably hard to understand this problem as any other garage has quite a bit of clearance. This garage and all 5-6 of it's levels were built incorrectly, but it is the only parking that's there. Many employees had to remove any luggage racks from the tops of their SUVs.

Å

Old 01-04-2004, 09:55 AM
BB94Bronco
Junior User
Well since you say money is not an issue , I would suggest looking into a custom airbag suspension for the front and a set of drop shacles for the rear .

I had 4" drop shacles in the rear of my truck and 4"s cut out of the front springs . It wound up being about 1" to low so I put in coil air lift bags in the front and leveled the truck out .

The major problem I had was getting it aligned . I got it within 1.5 degrees so it wasn't to bad on tire wear . If I wanted a lowered bronco again I think I would either remove the coils and go with a set of air bags , or go full on 2wd and swap in a mustang clip with some nice air suspension front and rear .

Old 01-04-2004, 10:14 AM
alk3myst
Senior User
I am not really looking in a lowered bronco, I am trying to get it back to it's 'stock' height...after the engine build up the truck is now about 1-2" higher in the front. It used to have plenty of room in the garage to clear the beams, however now it had touched them twice.

I am being pretty honest about the money deal (in my other thread you can see just about anything he could have done with the engine, exhaust, and transmission was done). Whatever it's going to take to make it right. He doesn't want to go 2wd as the whole purpose of this was to get a 4wd vehicle to get the boat out of ramps that are too slippery (florida has tons of algae on the ramps esp in the summer)...He also doesn't want to slam it down to the ground.

Å

Old 01-04-2004, 10:50 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

If all you are trying to do is get it to fit into the garage without slamming it and keeping the 4x4 capability, then as was suggested, Air Bag suspension. You can get them installed so that it all is controllable from inside the cab. So you make your height changes on the go as needed. You fit in the garage...and then you can add hieght fer playing off road, or just hit the medium and you have a stock looking bronco.

Old 01-07-2004, 11:37 PM
94Bronco58
Senior User
Can you really do that with the Airbag's, i want to get some installed with 33" tires to where when i am on the road I can keep it at the stock height, and then when i need the height, I can lift it up 3 or 4 inches, I think that this would be a cool setup if it works. Anyone got any suggestions??

Old 01-08-2004, 08:29 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Yes you can do that with airbags. They were initally used to add support for heavy hauling, but as time went on, people found that under normal conditions, they can actually change the ride height. Porsche is using this type of system in their SUV just for that reason....to change height if the owner is stupid enough to take a $300K vehicle off road.

Old 01-08-2004, 10:07 AM
94Bronco58
Senior User
Any idea on how much money it would cost to do that?? That sounds like a project for later on!!

Old 01-08-2004, 10:30 AM
alk3myst
Senior User
I have been looking into it...however none seem to allow lowering, only raising.....I need something to first drop me about 2".

Again this is not about trying to be 'cool' it's about at my new stock height not being able to fit in this screwed up parking garage.

I know they have a 1-2" lower rear shackle kit...but I need a lowering spring or revised control arm up front.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Would the suspension from a Lightning work on a Bronco?