Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Traded my 99 PSD for @2001 Ram Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 08:50 PM
Fitzydog
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traded my 99 PSD for @2001 Ram Cummins

Well guys the powerstroke was getting a little big and was actually real picky on the maintenence. I traded my baby yesterday for a 2001 Dodge 2500 w/Cummins 4x4. I really want to thank each and every person who ever helped me with a problem and I will still be on here every now and then to give my 2 cents. Lastly all I have to say is wow on the Cummins? Oh yea why is everything so much cheaper? Take care and Happy New Year To ALL!

Houston

Old 01-02-2004, 05:10 AM
13hondacr250
Posting Guru
Aaron, I'm probably one of the very few that will say kind things about that buy. I bought one last month. 01 2500 4x4 8' box ext cab, 6 speed Cummins.

And I do agree with what you said.

Oh yeah, a Mod will nail you for the Ram in your sig.

Old 01-02-2004, 10:26 AM
fisher_of_man
Posting Guru
:-staun ...you did what???? well, if I had to drive a truck other than a ford (which I would try not to ) it would have to be a dodge

Old 01-02-2004, 10:38 AM
Hope Springs Hauler
Senior User
As long as it is a diesel with Iron heads I'm OK
But boo on DairyMax

Old 01-02-2004, 04:11 PM
Stampede
Senior User
What kind of Fuel mileage are you getting with the Cummings?
And do you guys know any good web sites?
What is the big deal about Duramax, it's better then a damn RICE Burner.
Don't get me wrong I'm a Die Hard Ford man, but damn the price of a PSD is crazy, that I'm going have to look hard to find one that I can afford.
Tnanks Stampede

Old 01-02-2004, 04:22 PM
Hope Springs Hauler
Senior User
I do not like the DuraMax because it has aluminum heads on a very high compression engine. In a cas that I am aware of locally, the engine jettisoned the heads. It blew them off around the head bolts. This is my experience with them and why I am biased against them.

I am going to end this before we are reprimanded for brand talk in a tech forum

PS It is an IZUZU engine, made by the japanese

Old 01-02-2004, 04:33 PM
Stampede
Senior User
Well, I didn't know alot people know that the duramax was or is an Izuzu motor, ah ah ah Ricer burner, I mean.
BE AMERICAN and BUY AMERICAN.
STAMPEDE.

Old 01-05-2004, 07:44 PM
Fitzydog
Junior User
Well Sorry for not replying sooner! One here asked the miles per gallon I am getting. First of all I have a 2001 2500 Cummins, Auto, Shortbed, 4x4, and drove from inner city Houston to Schulenburg,TX a round trip of 235 miles that I clocked. The fuel usage was to 1/4 of a Tank, and a Tank is 34 gallons, so roughly 8.5-9 gallons. I was driving 70-75 the whole way and surprisingly, with my calculation it comes out to around 26 miles per gallon. In the city I have been getting about 19, and my Powerstroke couldn't get this on its best day. All I can say is it isn't as roomy as a crew cab F250 but the performance and gas mileage is incredible!! I will be keeping it for a long time. Thanks Aaron

Old 01-05-2004, 07:47 PM
Fitzydog
Junior User
Oh yea last thing everybody always says CUMMINGS! Its not it is a Cummins.

Old 01-05-2004, 10:34 PM
otto
Posting Guru
Duramax isnt an isuzu, its a duramax made by Duramax Ltd

UAW employees in Moraine Ohio build the duramax...........and Duramax Ltd is the sole proprietor

and honestly I cant believe 2 years after introduction people are still trying to say the heads blow off, from what I see here they run a heckuva lot better than this 6.0 pos cornbinder

Old 01-05-2004, 11:53 PM
Stampede
Senior User
Fitzydog, sorry about the misprint. Do you know any web sites for the Cummins, I like to keep in touch with you about your truck.
I bleed Ford Blue, my Grand-Father was a Ford Man, but the price for one is out of this world. I really looking for Fuel mileage, and the cummins seems to fit.
A friend of mine has one, he says he's getting about 17-18 in town, I drove his, I liked it but I just don't like the interior.
Thanks Stampede

Otto, do you know any web sites for the Duramax?
From what I have heard, that the duramax was worping the heads.

Thanks Stampede

Old 01-06-2004, 09:54 AM
Darel
New User
Fitzydog,
Congrats on your new truck. I for one think you made a good choice and I am disappointed to say I am right now selling my '97 Ram 2500 (300 hp, 700 ft/lbs@1800 rpm, 21 mpg with 1000 lbs in the bed) with the 12V Cummins because my father-in-law gave me his '95 250 for free. Hey, at least it's got an International engine. I'm also a Cornbinder nut.

Anyway, despite their generic name the best resource for Cummins Rams is easily the Turbo Diesel Register, you can get to the main page at www.turbodieselregister.com and access the discussion forums from there. I also highly recommend a subscription, it seems expensive at first but when you get your first BOOK in the mail you'll see why. Having a 24V, I would recommend very quickly installing a fuel pressure gauge because the lift pumps fail quite often.

Good luck!

Darel

Old 01-06-2004, 02:50 PM
flynavydiesel
Junior User
Stampede, here is a good sight for Duramax

dieselplace.com/forum

Old 01-06-2004, 03:21 PM
Hope Springs Hauler
Senior User
http://www.duramaxdiesel.com/01_features/index.htm

Otto, According to this, Duramax Was developed by IZUZU. Please show me otherwise if this site is wrong.

Old 01-06-2004, 06:40 PM
otto
Posting Guru
GM-Ford Deal Seems OK
However daunting, the transmission development deal that unites the world's two largest auto makers does not appear to cross the line into anti-trust territory,

Had the auto makers developed transmissions independently, they would have incurred costs “in the hundreds of millions,” says Tom Stephens, group vice president-GM Powertrain.

The deal was about 10 months in the making. GM made the first move: Stephens reportedly contacted Ford President and COO Nick Scheele directly. The two sides had been working on 6-speed transmissions of their own, but settled on a GM-inspired design because the No.1 auto maker “was a couple of months ahead,” Stephens tells reporters.

The transmission will debut by late-decade in large front-wheel-drive passenger cars and cross/utility vehicles or SUVs. Each auto maker will build the transmission in its own plants.

So Ford building a GM tranny in their own plant still leaves it as GM tranny, GM uses a diesel designed by Isuzu, but built in america by UAW workers

So we have alot of cross breeds here, Gm uses a jap diesel, dang ricer, Fords gonna use a hydramatic tranny, dang chevies

I dont dispute the durajap was designed by Isuzu I merely pointed out it is built in the USA by UAW autoworkers in Ohio........I heard Fords diesel was designed by Navistar............uh oh nooooooo

Im not sure but I think most GM trucks are built in Pontiac Michigan, while ford and dodge "Hecho en Mexico", course I know they all use imported parts

Last edited by otto; 01-06-2004 at 06:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Traded my 99 PSD for @2001 Ram Cummins