Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

99 Explorer - Flashing O/D Off Light

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 08:06 PM
nikkiree
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 Explorer - Flashing O/D Off Light

Yo 11,

I'm sure most of you have heard this one before, so here we go again!

I have a 99 Exploerer, 4.0 SOHC, 164k miles, regular maintainence, and a 5R55E 5-speed auto transmission. The problem I am having is as follows: I get some tough shifting from 1st to 2nd gear, but if I lay off a little and let it shift, it shifts then normally. After about 20 min of diving or a lot of shifting, I eventually get a "Flashing O/D Off Light", which from my understanding only lets you start from 3rd gear which is the "limp mode". I'm am still able to shift through the gears manually.

Also, if I shut the car off, the flashing light will go off but come back on after the above routine.

Therefore, I am going to do the following:

Change my trans fluid (done on 02.19.07)
Get the code from the local Autozone

After that, I'm not sure. I'm going to drive tomorrow (with my fingers crossed). Basically, I'm looking for help, suggestions, etc...

Please contact me anytime...your help is most appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance,
Nick

Old 02-20-2007, 05:04 AM
marragtop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
By all means get the codes pulled. Needless to say, it's not good to drive it any distances with the hard limp mode shifting. You might want to start looking for a decent trans shop that will do a real diagnosis and not just a trans R&R.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:46 AM
nikkiree
Freshman User
Thanks for the reply!

I went to Ford yesterday as well...they said about $3300 for a new trans including labor (9 hours).

I'm going to AAMCO today to get a quote (are they any good?).

I'm also wondering if I can buy a trans and have some shop put it in for me...could this be a cheaper solution?

What kind of price should I be expecting/trying to get?

Anyone else have anyother comments/ideas?

Thanks,
Nick

Old 02-20-2007, 12:07 PM
marragtop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure aamco will be cheaper than the ford dealer, but they will probably want to do a complete replacement. Find out exactly what their price covers.... torque converter included, warranty, are they rebuilding your old one or putting a different one in, .etc.

Also, did Ford pull codes, and if so what were they? Ideally, you need to find a good shop that can diagnose it and tell you what your options are.

Old 02-20-2007, 03:57 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
dude, you have a bad valve body gasket. under $100 to fix and a couple hours of labor. you can even do it yourself. i have a tutorial if you need it

Matt

Old 02-20-2007, 04:45 PM
mikeinri
Tuned
Don't go to AAMCO unless you are ready to pay for the full boat. In my experience, their exterior diagnosis is useless, they charge $900 to pull/"diagnose"/replace a tranny (without doing any repairs), and once you agree to a repair, they never do anything less than full replacement including torque converter.

About 10 years ago, I had a Mercury Sable that was leaking a very small amount of fluid in the driveway. There were absolutely no shifting issues. When I went to AAMCO, I went through the above horror show.

It was probably a simple seal problem, but they porked me over the coals ($2300) and had my (only) car for over a week. Of course, they didn't tell me the final price until they had it apart.

There, I fell better now...

Anyway, doesn't sound like the Ford dealer is any better. If I were you, I would try the valve body thing first. In the meantime, I'd try to find a local tranny shop that has a reputation for doing good work without taking people to the bank.

Good luck!

Mike

Old 02-20-2007, 04:48 PM
nikkiree
Freshman User
fordboy_52,

Can you send me your "valve body gasket tutorial"???

Or, can I find it in my Chilton repair manual?

Late,
Nick

Old 02-20-2007, 04:49 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
i got a free diagnostic from a local trans shop with a very good rep. they told me that i need a new trans. after less than $100 and a couple hours i had a repaired tranny and made a guide, which i mailed to the trans shop (for furture refrence since they told me it CANT be the valve body)

Matt

Old 02-20-2007, 05:44 PM
nikkiree
Freshman User
Is there anything else I should consider replacing while I'm down there doing the valve body gasket?

- Filter?
- Valve body?
- Separator plate?
- Blow-off valve kit?
- Solenoid bracket?
- Special fluid?

Late,
Nick

Old 02-20-2007, 08:46 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
all of the above but the last two. most of that is addressed in my tutorial

Matt

Old 02-23-2007, 09:49 AM
Mounter
New User
Originally Posted by nikkiree
Yo 11,

I'm sure most of you have heard this one before, so here we go again!

I have a 99 Exploerer, 4.0 SOHC, 164k miles, regular maintainence, and a 5R55E 5-speed auto transmission. The problem I am having is as follows: I get some tough shifting from 1st to 2nd gear, but if I lay off a little and let it shift, it shifts then normally. After about 20 min of diving or a lot of shifting, I eventually get a "Flashing O/D Off Light", which from my understanding only lets you start from 3rd gear which is the "limp mode". I'm am still able to shift through the gears manually.

Also, if I shut the car off, the flashing light will go off but come back on after the above routine.

Therefore, I am going to do the following:

Change my trans fluid (done on 02.19.07)
Get the code from the local Autozone

After that, I'm not sure. I'm going to drive tomorrow (with my fingers crossed). Basically, I'm looking for help, suggestions, etc...

Please contact me anytime...your help is most appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance,
Nick
I have that with my 99. According to Ford when that is happening the computer senses an issue with the tranny which goes in to a "cripple mode" where the tranny should not shift out of 2nd. this came because of my shift flare from 2nd to 3rd not 1st to 2nd, but if your getting the flare and not a hard gear shift you may be able to get it rebuilt cheaper than buying a new one from ford or where ever.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:50 AM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
or you can replace the valve body gasket yourself for under $100 and have it fixed

Matt

Old 02-23-2007, 03:36 PM
wm_sorg
New User
Question 03 Explorer

Can you please send the writeup?

I think I am having a similar issue. My 03 explorer od light is flashing. Took it in and dealer said trans is NFG. The car drives and shifts perfectly. The only indication something is worng is the light, however I did notice the TC is not going into lockup. The light came on during routine driving. Never any tc shudder, etc. Car has 74k is not run hard or used for towing.

I am thinking I will replace the valve body, etc. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
BILL

Old 02-23-2007, 03:42 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
actually this doesnt apply to 02 and newer. and it will NOT help tc lockup. i can still send it but as far as i know ford corrected the problem after 02

Matt

Old 02-23-2007, 04:11 PM
wm_sorg
New User
Please send. w_m_sorg@msn.com I am thinking the issue is still in the valve body, etc.

Quick Reply: 99 Explorer - Flashing O/D Off Light