1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a purpose for roof clearance lights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 12:21 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Many folks (including LEO's) think an F-350 will have higher factory load ratings than an F-250.
that is because they do. GVWR is the number that matters.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:30 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by lakedweller
I just like clearance lights, I just have to stay out of California. I have never been stopped pulling my 96" wide 5er and I would be damned if I would remove any badging from my truck. I thnk all are over thinking the clearance light issue. You can tow without and nobody will stop you. I just like them....
California won't bother you either. As said above, many are overthinking this thing.

If your truck is over 80" wide, you need clearance lights. You don't need them to tow something over 80" wide.

If your trailer is over 80" wide, it needs its own clearance lights, not your truck.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:16 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by wizardsr
What if you were towing your boat with an SUV or a 1/2 ton that wasn't equipped with clearance lights from the factory? As long as the boat trailer has clearance lights on it's widest width (fenders) front and rear, it's legal. I don't buy you needing clearance lights to pull a boat, that just seems silly.
Great argument. I asked the officer that very same question as well. He did not show me anything in writing but proceeded to recite his version of the regulation which say that any "vehicle" over 80" wide required clearance lights. His definition of "vehicle" includes what is being towed. He also noted that the lights on the trailer should be on the widest point of the trailer which would be the leading edge of the fenders (my trailer had its' lights on the frame...). He further pointed out that my boat extended about 8" past the trailer fenders on each side so the "load" was larger then the trailer could legally carry without special "oversized load" placards.

I agree that it seems silly to get pulled over for something like that but there may be more to the story than just a simple regulation. I think a deputy was run off that same road a few nights earlier and his vehicle went over the edge and he did not survive. Usually when stuff like that happens, there are checkpoints set up and they may not have liked the size of the load that I was towing through those roads. In the end, all I got was a warning so perhaps the stop didn't have any real merit...

I don't think a normal SUV or 1/2 ton truck is rated to tow the boat due to it's size and weight. An Excursion could handle it but not a smaller SUV...

Old 06-10-2011, 01:19 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by gchavez
Great argument. I asked the officer that very same question as well. He did not show me anything in writing but proceeded to recite his version of the regulation which say that any "vehicle" over 80" wide required clearance lights. His definition of "vehicle" includes what is being towed...
He didn't write you up because he wasn't sure of himself. Good thing too, because he was wrong. It happens.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:47 PM
REXHOUND
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thay look cool and real trucks have them, f150s and such dont

Old 06-10-2011, 09:47 PM
Pinky Demon
Posting Guru
I won't own a Super Duty without them. Additionally, I liked em so much, I got my mirrors retrofitted as well with the 03+ Trailer tow marker lights.

Not only are they a great indicator of width at night, but they also provide additional safety in the middle of a bloody snow storm when Mary Jo Mid Size Sedan decides to drive right in the middle of the f'ing road...and you have a 9 ft. V plow hanging off the front.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:05 AM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
He further pointed out that my boat extended about 8" past the trailer fenders on each side so the "load" was larger then the trailer could legally carry without special "oversized load" placards.
The question here is...

how wide is the trailer? IF you have an 96" wide trailer and you're hanging off 8" on each side = 112" which is larger than the 102" that is allowed by most states before it is considered "oversized"

Old 08-27-2017, 04:54 PM
farmallmta
Mountain Pass
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
The purpose of roof clearance lights on personal vehicles is to leak water into the cab, to burn out bulbs, to crack the plastic lenses, and to corrode so that they can't work without replacing them. Their other purpose is to, since they don't work, ensure your state of a steady supply of equipment failure ticket revenue and extra pay for vehicle inspection stations.

But, oh yes, you look really cool with them on your Prius. If that's all worth it to you, by all means, add some. And some chrome nudie girl silhouettes to the mudflaps on your Prius, while you're at it. And truck nuts. You really should have those essential truck nuts under your Prius, too. So you look cool in your Prius.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:05 PM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
Clearance lights on a truck means the engine and transmission will run an extra 120,000 miles without a rebuild when towing at the max GCVWR throughout its life compared to a truck that never tows and does not have them.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:00 PM
JEB63
Junior User
Originally Posted by farmallmta
The purpose of roof clearance lights on personal vehicles is to leak water into the cab, to burn out bulbs, to crack the plastic lenses, and to corrode so that they can't work without replacing them. Their other purpose is to, since they don't work, ensure your state of a steady supply of equipment failure ticket revenue and extra pay for vehicle inspection stations.

But, oh yes, you look really cool with them on your Prius. If that's all worth it to you, by all means, add some. And some chrome nudie girl silhouettes to the mudflaps on your Prius, while you're at it. And truck nuts. You really should have those essential truck nuts under your Prius, too. So you look cool in your Prius.
Dang, six years later you respond Seems to have struck a nerve with ya.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:36 PM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by JEB63
Dang, six years later you respond Seems to have struck a nerve with ya.

15 years since the original post, almost to the day.

But better than that, the topic had just been covered two weeks before that in another thread.

Not complaining, I had my fun post up above too.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:49 PM
redford
Received 1,561 Likes on 909 Posts
This may be a new record in digging up an old forum post.

Thread archaeology at it's best!

Old 08-28-2017, 07:17 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
FYI, at the end of a thread is a list of "related threads", so it is very easy to reply to an ancient thread this way without having to go finding them like 'somebody' does, (Stewart, hehehe).

Old 09-02-2017, 10:13 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Can't believe nobody said what they do most! Melt the snow baby!!! Provide awesome visibility during rain and snow. Gives that awesome orange glow on the hood at night! Ha Ha Ha

Old 09-03-2017, 08:08 AM
Leon82
Mountain Pass
Its a good start point for rust when they put a stainless screw into the steel panel

Quick Reply: Is there a purpose for roof clearance lights?