1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

2.3 Ranger surging

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 05:13 PM
nrkmann
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.3 Ranger surging

I am new to Ford trucks and have recently bought a new 2003 Ford Ranger 2.3l, 5 speed, 2 wheel drive and now have 5K miles. It has a miss from time to time and some surging. The dealer had a Ford bulletin to tighten the ground on the computer, which they did. The truck drove much better but still misses and surges, particularly when the weather is wet, which is often here in Oregon.

Get in the car to pull out of the driveway or a store parking lot (driving very slow in first gear) on a rainy day and the truck can begin to surge almost violently. Step on the clutch, and try again and perhaps it will happen again, perhaps not. Accelerate smartly, no problem.

The truck has been back to the dealer and there are no codes.

Any ideas out there?

Regards, NRK

Old 01-05-2004, 07:48 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to FTE!!!

I would take it back to the dealer and make them fix it, just because there are not any codes doesn't mean there isn't anything wrong. Can you duplicate the problem anytime it rains?

Old 01-06-2004, 11:04 AM
nrkmann
New User
Ken:

It is one of those intermittent things.

On the dealers behest, the computer grounding cable has been tightened IAW a service bulletin.

The second time to the dealer (one I will never go back to) I was told I did not really know how to drive a stick and that I was lugging the truck too much by shifting where the book says to shift (38-40 mph) into 5th gear. I was driving pickups and tractors before this kid was born!

Third time to the dealer (5000 mile oil change) they could not replicate it, but as I said, the problem does not manifest itself well during a dry period and it had been dry here for about three days (whoa, am I really in Oregon?).

We have snow right now and I am waiting for a week of good rain and will take it to the dealer again.

I was hoping that someone on the forum had had this problems or seen this problem and could give me some assistance.

Regards, NRK

Nathan R Keith

Old 01-06-2004, 12:01 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry I can't be more helpful, maybe someone else will see this and have some ideas.

Old 01-06-2004, 05:42 PM
droptop
Senior User
Nathan,
You might want to ask some of the techs at Flat Rate Tech for their opinion on this since it is such a new vehicle and the problem only occurs infrequently. Here's the link:
Flat Rate Tech
I can pretty much guarantee that they won't tell you that you don't know how to drive a stick!