Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

U-Haul bans trailer rentals for Ford Explorers

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 09:42 AM
Dhazle
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
U-Haul bans trailer rentals for Ford Explorers

My U-Haul rental location says that due to several law suit’s that they will not attach any of their equipment to Ford Explorers. I called the U-Haul rental information number and found out that it is true. The effective date was December 22, 2003. I have a 2002 Explorer and since U-Haul has about the only enclosed trailers you can get… I am out of luck on a move that I was going to make on December 29th. My guess is that this may have a negative impact on the sales of Explorers.

Don Hazle

Old 12-23-2003, 10:48 AM
RonnieB
Junior User
Considering that U-Haul is close to claiming Chapter 11 protection, you would think that they would need every rental they can get. I don't know the nature of the lawsuits, but I can only tell you from my own personal experience with towing to the limit with the new Explorer that I have all the faith in the world for the capability, and stability, of the vehicle. Ryder Rental also does one way trailers. Any local Rental Center will also have any size trailer you need if you are not going one way.

Old 12-23-2003, 11:01 AM
Dhazle
New User
I would have taken a one way and they would not do it. I even contacted the independent dealers and they can't give me one either. As soon as they say "Explorer" on the computer, it says that it is not and authorized vehicle. None of the independent dealers knew about that until they attempted to make the reservation.

Don Hazle

Old 12-23-2003, 11:10 AM
Dhazle
New User
Here is the note I got from U-Haul as a result of my email to them

Dear Mr. Hazle,

Thank you for your inquiry.

In order to ensure the protection and safety of our customers U-Haul is
prohibiting any year and make of Ford Explorer to tow our trailers. If
you have an alternate vehicle to do the towing we can assist you with your
reservation.

When renting U-Haul equipment, safety has always been our number one
priority. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and
appreciate your understanding of our policies.

Sincerely,
Deanna Gilling
U-Haul Customer Service

Old 12-23-2003, 02:56 PM
golfboy17
Senior User
I would never tow with the explorer any year, they are small chassis and have a narrow wheel base, and when towing they sway all over the raod in the wind and when cars pass you, they also have no power. Ford rates them to tow about 5,000lbs. Towing with the explorers on a regular base's will greatly reduce tranny and possible engine life, due to the extreme stress and extra heat that generated when the vehical is towing. As Dhazle
stated in his first post that he felt this would greatly reduce explorers sales, in realality it wont, most people dont use their explorers or SUVS for towing, or off road use, but there is a hand full of people who do. So by this little thing with UHaul will not have any effect on Ford sales. The coverd trailers are becoming less and less popular, most people who move their self are renting the trucks, who has such a small amount of stuff that would fit in a covered trailer there not that big, for most people you would have to make several trips, the way to go is to rent one of the trucks from them or another place and get the vehical dolly as well if you cant find someone to drive it. My opinion Uhaul is doing the right thing by not allowing people to tow these trailers with the explorer, am sure if you asked them the reason it would probally be they had several law suits of people who towed these with their explorers and go into a accedent or something else happened. And for the majority of people who tow on a regular base's are not buying the explorer there buyer a F-150, 250 or 350 with four doors which you can stil fit five adults in and they are built for towing and for hauling and for being abused

Old 12-23-2003, 03:23 PM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Explorer is not what should be banned - it needs to be the drivers. There needs to be something on a person's drivers license saying they are knowledgeable and know how to tow a trailer. Anyone can hook a trailer up to a car and get going - it is what happens after that where all the problems lie...

I disagree that the Explorer is a terrible vehicle to tow with. I have towed 2 jet skis on a dual trailer, my boat, my 8ft utility trailer, and my 18ft car hauler MANY times over. I have yet to be worried about what it can do.

Back to the other point - yes - I have my Explorer set up to be able to tow something (electric brakes, etc). Most people don't and have no clue how to pull a trailer. They just know you need a ball to hook it to. There lies the problem...

UHaul has enough problems as it is. They have so much faulty equipment in their fleet, they cause more problems than the people or vehicles pulling it.

Old 12-23-2003, 05:13 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Dhazle
...When renting U-Haul equipment, safety has always been our number one
priority...

Sincerely,
Deanna Gilling
U-Haul Customer Service
That's hilarious, coming from U-Haul. The oldest, most worn-out, unserviced, unmaintained rental fleet in the country. If they really cared about our safety they'd BUY SOME NEW TRUCKS!!

Old 12-24-2003, 07:06 AM
PrPlayboy
Elder User
Tell them you have an Expidition!! they kinda look the same.....
I do agree poeple need to know how to drive with a trailer Backing up is tuff. I pulled a 12" trailer with landscaping equipment last year with my Escape and turning around in tight spots was a hassle and at times I needed to reverse into poeples drive ways. I have used me trailer about 6 times with my explorer and have had no problems at all.

Old 12-24-2003, 08:36 AM
jad
Freshman User
I have a 99' mountaineer 5.0. I bought a camplite 2408 popup. Its tandem axle has slide out its 24 ft long and total weight when loaded is 4800. when I hooked it up the bumper almost hit the ground.so I bought rear air bags, problem solved.when I drove down the freeway I could not do over 55 because of the sway.
so I bought the sway bar. I took my rig to South Carolina from Michigan, in the summertime. I had my mountaineer doing 90 mph up 6% grades and still pulling no overheat no problems.

Old 12-24-2003, 09:14 AM
Sock Monkey
Freshman User
This claim about U-Haul stinks of ROTTEN EGGS

Go to u-haul.com and get a price check selecting an explorer as YOUR vehicle.....NO PROBLEMS ON LINE!

And I used a UHAUL trailer on my 98 sport with no complaints from uhaul.

This thread is bogus.

Old 12-24-2003, 10:05 AM
Dhazle
New User
That is interesting about being able to reserve online. I will admit that I didn't try that before I started this thread. But I did try to reserve with 2 U-Haul dealers and was refused both time. The first one was a U-Haul moving center and they had received and email about the new policy. The second was a independent parts shop. He didn't think there would be a problem and had not heard about the restriction. However, when he attempted the reservation, he was also refused.

Old 12-24-2003, 03:58 PM
dogman
Elder User
Somethings is not right here, the ranger and explorer have the same frame and the parts can interchange,right? So the ban would go for ranger too you think. I would not use U haul junk any way, been there done that. (Note) here they will sale you a hitch for your explorer, but you can't tow there trailers. There funny butt heads.

Old 12-24-2003, 08:57 PM
jclj2003
Senior User
wow i wander if they would let me use my new mazda navajo (is not a explorer) but looks like one lol

Old 12-24-2003, 08:58 PM
jclj2003
Senior User
wow i wander if they would let me use my new mazda navajo (is not a explorer) but looks like one lol

Old 01-02-2004, 03:46 PM
tkd
Elder User
Hey Sock Monkey,

It's not a bogus thread, this is the new Uhaul policy. Call them and see. Besides, the disclaimer is now on the website also.

Quick Reply: U-Haul bans trailer rentals for Ford Explorers