1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What steering wheel do you have? (Aftermarket)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 10:31 PM
atticmole
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone found a steering wheel Cover For those of us who are keeping stock? My steering wheel doesnt look half bad, if I could just find a cover or something for around the outer rim to hide the ugly and dress it up, and make it a little more comfy, It would make me as happy as getting a new wheel! But Nothing I have tried so far is big enough for my Trucks steering wheel

Or is a cover considered "Cootie Bobbed" ?

Last edited by atticmole; 12-23-2003 at 10:50 PM.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:54 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
Larry, glad to see we are sorta get this back on track. You might try a truck stop as they carry alot of oversized "stuff" and they usually have quite the selection. I myself am going to start to fix the cracks in the wheel and paint it back to stock while my nos horn ring will top it all off. A quick sand job and paint(epoxy) and it'll look brand new all in a weekend permitting you have no cracks. -4speed

Old 12-23-2003, 11:26 PM
atticmole
Senior User
A truck Stop, I will have to try that. I dont have any cracks just worn paint. It would be nice to have something on it for comfort and grip, even if I did paint it. And if it hides the ugly and I don't HAVE to paint the wheel, I could live with that to. LOL.

Old 12-23-2003, 11:28 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
Also, on the horn ring, mine was pitted pretty bad and oxidized pretty bad, some real fine steel wool and almost no pressure really made her look good!(although no way to get the pits out) but you ought to try it! -4speed

Old 12-23-2003, 11:45 PM
atticmole
Senior User
I got lucky there. My horn ring was in pretty good shape, and also my father inlaw had another one That he said was new but with only a couple very small rust spots probably from being unprotected while stored. I got my first one hanging on the wall, and the new one on Brutus. Maybe I will paint The wheel?

Last edited by atticmole; 12-23-2003 at 11:50 PM.
Old 12-24-2003, 11:02 AM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
A guinea pig 'fenders. Someday you might find it snuggled up to your face in bed. Just hope in 6 months you don't have to rush to the pet store and find a replacement since the other one died. Just hope it doesn't talk back. (Dr. Dolittle)

Old 01-04-2004, 11:54 AM
dj9124
Senior User
aaawwwwwee shucks fatfenders, you bursted my bubble, I found a wheel that matched my grandmas prom dress and when I wrapped it with the brown leather it even matched her prom boots, and I thought I was stylin, geeeesh.
Dave

Old 01-04-2004, 12:01 PM
joners
Elder User
I forgot about this thread, I think I'm going to go with a Lecarra Mark 9. wrapped in tan leather...mmmmm

Old 01-04-2004, 12:02 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
Good man, -4speed

Old 01-04-2004, 12:50 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally posted by joners
I forgot about this thread, I think I'm going to go with a Lecarra Mark 9. wrapped in tan leather...mmmmm
If that's all you can afford I spose it will have to do. Gotta run, time to go glue the horn button back on my Grant G/T.

'fenders

"Too cool for an uppity steering wheel"

Old 01-04-2004, 01:16 PM
joners
Elder User
I like the way it looks, plus I'm in Canada, so that wheel will probably be at least 225 bucks.

Old 01-04-2004, 09:56 PM
41Clay
Elder User
I found the coolest aftermarket steering wheel one day while walking through a field. It was one of those standard 3 spoke chrome ones with the holes in it, but it had the words "indianapolis 500" inscribed on it with and a guy holding just a steering wheel with racing googles and a scarf on. The outside was made of realy grippy black rubber and had a mear 10" diameter. Too bad I left it there.

Old 02-01-2004, 07:12 AM
OilLeaks
Senior User
Talking

I'm catching up on the post and this thread really got to me! First off joners...I'm not sure but isn't a "steering wheel with tan leather grip but not too expensive" something of an oxymoron? Leather anything is gonna be expensive to my wallet. Of course then so are the cheap a__ Grant wheels so loved in this thread. I would probably buy a Lecarra or Billet Specialties if $$$ were no object. Once I determined that I had $ instead of $$$ I looked at the Grant wheel and discovered that you can't get one in the standard Bus size required to drive a truck without power steering. Sigh. So my old beast has the original wheel that was fixed up (it was REAL bad) with the epoxy / fill and paint procedure and it works fine. Doesn't have the class of the Lecarra or even a - dare I say this? - Grant wheel but it works swell!!! To be honest in my old beast anything else would look a bit out of place. And...such a bonus...it's painted the same color as my grandmas prom dress - black!

Keep the flatheads running!

Old 02-01-2004, 07:53 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Oil Leaks

I can't believe you revived this thread. A lot of good stuff in here though. Just a quick update.

The family guinea pig is doing well.

I have purchased not one, but two new Alpine stereos on 4speeds advice. The Sony did very well on ebay. Good call kid, now I can't afford a new steering wheel for sure. It's your fault.

And on a serious note, your steering wheel has to match your interior. Billet Specialties don't go with cardboard door panels. Stock wheel don't go with Dakota digital guages.

'fenders

And one more thing. Is 4 speeds truck still painted up like a box of tampons?

Old 02-01-2004, 10:19 AM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
Oilleaks, good call as you can't go wrong with stock.

Fenders, you "always" have to make fun of the color, I guess it should of been cookie cutter red..... -4speed

Quick Reply: What steering wheel do you have? (Aftermarket)