General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Pretty much sums up my feelings of the NFL today

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 12:36 PM
Ripsnort
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pretty much sums up my feelings of the NFL today

I still watch, but I'm just not the enthusiastic Ticket holder that I used to be, gave up my season tickets (Seahawks) in 1992 after having them since 1978. Been a rabid football fan since 1966. Lately, this cartoon sums up my enthusiasm...anyone else feel this way?

Old 12-22-2003, 12:41 PM
TheWiz427
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats a lot like some of the Bucs players we have.

Old 12-22-2003, 12:51 PM
FordFadgeole
Postmaster
football

I saw that clip with the cellphone.I wonder if he knew just how immature that was . it reminded me of a small child going na-na nah na- na. definately not a ticket seller.it's becoming all about the players salaries and not game.

Old 12-22-2003, 12:53 PM
jeffthompson
Elder User
I don't watch organized sports except for playoffs or championships normally. As a kid in the 70's- I always watched.

I find some people almost view sports as a religion or something.

Feel like it's some kind of Roman "Bread and Circus" thing.

If the Detroit teams were doing better- that might motivate me to watch also.

Old 12-22-2003, 01:16 PM
wick246
Posting Guru
I have been playing fantasy football with friends for the past three or four years. This has peaked my interest in football - I never followed it before. I think that when they celebrate like that they should penalize the team on the field rather than fines afterwards. One of the FOX sports guys stated this and I agree that it would do away with most of it. They make too much money to be hurt by fines. I really like that the Bengals axed some of thier stars this year because they didn't want to be team players. I also like the fact that Keyshawn Johnson got sent packing though not soon enough.

Old 12-22-2003, 01:26 PM
drdave
Junior User
That is exactly the reason I stopped watching pro football, baseball and basketball many years ago. Too much money, too many punks and criminals.
At least it isn't as bad in college sports, yet.

Old 12-22-2003, 03:37 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That's why I enjoy college football. The play is not as good, but it is entertaining. My daughter's college, Texas A&M, was beaten by Oklahoma by a score of 77 to zip this year, Oklahoma was taking a knee on plays with 8 minutes left to avoid running up the score more - Custer had a better day at the Little Big Horn game.
Dono

Old 12-22-2003, 03:47 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
NFL- National Felony League

If only there game was as big as there ego's. What's with the celebration after every tackel? I mean isn't that something that you should have been doing in the first place. Oh well, I guess this is why I'm a college fan, -4speed

Old 12-22-2003, 04:06 PM
78f150custom
Senior User
If I scored a touchdown and was a pro player I would have to do some kind of signature victory dance. I know alot of people dont like it but I wouldnt care. I dont know about the cell phone thing but I would have to do something.

Old 12-22-2003, 05:04 PM
90ebbronc
Elder User
The cell phone deal was odd i have to agree. He said that he told his mom and his little brother that if he made a touchdown in that game, that he would call them. Thats what he did, he called his mother to tell her that. It wasnt about bragging or anything like that, and it wasnt to rub it the face of others.

Old 12-22-2003, 05:47 PM
FordFadgeole
Postmaster
penalties

Originally posted by wick246
I have been playing fantasy football with friends for the past three or four years. This has peaked my interest in football - I never followed it before. I think that when they celebrate like that they should penalize the team on the field rather than fines afterwards. One of the FOX sports guys stated this and I agree that it would do away with most of it. They make too much money to be hurt by fines. I really like that the Bengals axed some of thier stars this year because they didn't want to be team players. I also like the fact that Keyshawn Johnson got sent packing though not soon enough.
i like your idea of penalizing the team on the field. perhaps a fine and a 5yd penalty on the kickoff.i believe its more taunting than celebrating

Old 12-22-2003, 06:22 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
NFL...not ...for... long
if they keep going this way

Old 12-22-2003, 09:17 PM
fordeverpower
Postmaster
the not for long and no fun league. I have no problem with joe horns cell phone. The game needs something to interest people. I used to like football and watch all day on sunday even the pregames. Now i could care less. I like the cowboys and i get to watch the damn bears on fox and the chiefs on cbs. I want more variety and less regional coverage. I enjoy watching college ball because it is intertaining. March madness creates some damn good college basketball games. And in college football every game matters so they are half *** trying to win.

Old 12-22-2003, 09:21 PM
Duderoy
Tuned
Hey ripsnort,

How did you get the picture in your post. I don't seem to be able to do so.

Old 12-22-2003, 10:13 PM
ItzKwik
Junior User
I used to enjoy watching, but the taunting and showing off has kinda taken the enjoyment out of it for me. I remember an old coach who was calling the game said after one of the celebrations that he told his player, "Son, act like ya been there before."

Quick Reply: Pretty much sums up my feelings of the NFL today