1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kudos to BackUp Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2002, 10:03 AM
79CEEJAY
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kudos to BackUp Sensors

Old 11-23-2002, 10:13 AM
waltp
New User
Kudos to BackUp Sensors

Was in a rush this morning, backed outta driveway and realized I left my wallet on garage bench. Pulled back in, opened garage with remote, left truck running, grabbed wallet, and hopped back in. I checked mirrors and put it in reverse with foot still on brake. BEEEEEEEEEEP - reverse sensor is going off. I checked mirrors, and then looked out the back window ('01 F350 CC, LWB, 4x4) and couldn't see anything. Since the reverse sensor usually doesn't fib (except when towing in reverse), I got out and looked..... impatient because I couldn't imagine what was there since I had just driven over the same spot 90 seconds before.
I almost wet my pants, my eight year old had just wiped out on his Razor scooter 4 feet behind the truck and was stating to cry while looking at his scuffed up hands. He had no idea the truck was even there as he had just watched me back out shortly before. I'm still weak in the knees to think if it weren't for the sensors......... :-X23

BEST TRUCK OPTION I HAVE EVER PURCHASED!!!! I'm sending a real nice letter to FORD!

Old 11-23-2002, 10:27 AM
Yeti
Post Fiend
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Kudos to BackUp Sensors

Wow, I know a lot of times I take it for granted and just back up before I look down the driveway. Nothing worse than hitting a pedestrian and even worse when it's a kid.
Kudos to YOU for actually getting out and looking!!

Old 11-23-2002, 11:25 AM
ke6jcf
Senior User
Kudos to BackUp Sensors

Every parents nightmare, really glad to hear the outcome was that good. You'll being doing the what if's for a long time. This is a story that should be heard over and over again. Thanks for sharing....

Old 11-23-2002, 11:30 AM
Viskase1
Junior User
Kudos to BackUp Sensors

I myself pondered the value of a backup sensor as a $200 option. The salesmans logic was " if it saves you a single tailgate or bumper, it's more than paid for itself". I have never been sorry that I spent the money and your tale just reinforces my belief in that decision.

Old 11-23-2002, 11:53 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Kudos to BackUp Sensors

I have just changed my mind about this technology.

Luckily units can be had from the aftermarket.

Old 11-23-2002, 12:53 PM
Highway Prisoner
Junior User
Kudos to BackUp Sensors

I have also become a fan of the back up sensors. The Truck, I bought had every option. I thought the back up warning system was a waste of money, but it did not take long to appreciate the extra set of eyes. It has saved My butt a couple of times. They should be standard equipment on all vehicles! The safety freaks should jump on this, especially the over zealous insurance companies!

Old 11-23-2002, 12:53 PM
Quikirk
Elder User
Kudos to BackUp Sensors

I've seen incidents of this very nature, unfortunately not with a good outcome. So glad to hear that yours wasn't one of them.

Old 11-23-2002, 02:06 PM
haroutd
Posting Guru
Location: I'm lost somewhere in NJ -- can someone please find me?!?!?!?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kudos to BackUp Sensors

I bought my truck with all the options, and thought that the sensors were just one more convenience item that would help me navigate my boat into a parking spot. Needless to say it is sobering to see it play the role it did for you. The safety aspects of the reverse sensors are something I never really thought about before now. With stories like this, don't be surprised if within the next 10-15 years reverse sensors become standard equipment. I pray that more kids can be spared from the fate your child almost underwent.

Old 11-23-2002, 02:11 PM
FXSTC
Senior User
Kudos to BackUp Sensors

I am not a religious man but THANK GOD for the outcome. I could not imagine the antithesis but I have heard that more kids are killed every year in their own driveways than in car accidents!

I've actually stopped my truck, gotten out, and looked around for kids because I spent too much time adjusting the radio after getting in...

FXSTC
Mesa- AZ

2003 F-350 V10

Old 11-23-2002, 02:42 PM
Super Scott
Freshman User
Kudos to BackUp Sensors

Great story, thanks for sharing it with us all!. I have an 18 month old and another on the way. I agree that rear vision in these trucks leaves a little to be desired (that's as nice as I can say it). With the extra lift of a 4 x 4 the length of a crew cab w/ 8' bed and my shell (I have to look past two tinted windows to see out) this is an option that I will be looking at adding to my 1999. Can anyone suggest any kits that they have installed and have been happy with? Ideally, I would like to add the factory option - has anyone asked the dealer if it can be done? Cost? Any help is appreciated!

Old 11-23-2002, 02:54 PM
FXSTC
Senior User
Kudos to BackUp Sensors

I'm waiting for my heated seat to do something really cool or heroic!

When on two wheels-
FXSTC
Mesa- AZ

2003 F-350 V10

Old 11-23-2002, 03:17 PM
haroutd
Posting Guru
Location: I'm lost somewhere in NJ -- can someone please find me?!?!?!?
Kudos to BackUp Sensors

Someone's got to have a story about ESOF saving the day when their truck's wheels were buried so deep they wouldn't have been able to engage the front hubs if it had been manual...

>...Can anyone
>suggest any kits that they have installed and have been
>happy with? Ideally, I would like to add the factory option
>- has anyone asked the dealer if it can be done? Cost? Any
>help is appreciated!

Good luck adding the factory one as an afterthought. I've never inquired on cost, but with how much I assume one would pay, you would almost be better of trading your truck in for a model that already has it. As far as aftermarket, check out http://www.eurekaboy.com/f250/poron.htm - he seems pretty happy with the Poron's.

Old 11-23-2002, 03:27 PM
ke6jcf
Senior User
Kudos to BackUp Sensors

Shame on you for bringing up that ESOF stuff in this thread!

Old 11-23-2002, 04:43 PM
BigDeezil58
Senior User
Kudos to BackUp Sensors

>I have just changed my mind about this technology.

Me too.

My wife's van has them, but my truck does not. I didn't want them because it seems my wife has become too reliant on them.(She waits for the beep instead of looking:-X23)

But this story has put a whole new perspective on the backup sensors.

Great story. I will no longer think of it as a "FOO-FOO S.U.V. option."

Quick Reply: Kudos to BackUp Sensors