Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Diesel Fuel Additive road test results

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 10:06 AM
01psd
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
diesel kleen comes in a plastic bottle so it has to be ok dont you think so to.

Old 01-10-2004, 04:49 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
I've got over 40K miles of data in my log while using Stanadyne, so I'm planning on switching to DK for a while, to see what affect it has. I'm glad you started this post, and I'm also glad alanscott pinned it, so we can refer back to it easily. With all these minds working on this, we might just learn something!!!!

Old 01-10-2004, 11:14 AM
01psd
Junior User
quadzilla, thanks for your reply, its really cold here in oscoda mi. and this truck.is starting right up and running pretty good.im going to try stanadine and see if it will be as good as diesel kleen. will let all know what i find out. 01psd

Old 01-12-2004, 07:28 AM
TurboDzl1aB
New User
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Quadzilla
[B]gchavez wrote:

>>I've been a regular user of Stanadyne, and have determined that adding it at the prescribed ratio of 1oz/4gallons adds an expense of $0.06/gallon to the fuel, but the increase in mpg offsets this expense. I normally swear by Stanadyne as I feel it's a good product, and have personally seen the benefit of using it, but your results with Diesel Kleen make me want to try it in my truck.<<

I've also been a regular user of Stanadyne as well. What sold me was a comparison test they commissioned which can be found on the Stanadyne Power Products Division site. This study was conducted by an independent group at Southwest Research Institute. The study compared 10 different products and rated 3 major parameters: pour point reduction, cetane number change and fuel lubricity. They were then rated on a scale of 1-10 and ranked by average score and overall position. I suggest you check it out for yourself at: http://www.stanadyne.com/dsg/dsg_dfa.asp
then open the link MB 2022 Comparison to Competitive Brands.

BTW, I am in no way affiliated and have no financial interest in this company. I'm simply a satisfied customer and like you, open to new possibilities. However, I think, the results speak for themselves.

Last edited by TurboDzl1aB; 01-12-2004 at 08:01 AM.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:54 PM
TurboDzl1aB
New User
I suggest you check it out for yourself at: http://www.stanadyne.com/dsg/dsg_dfa.asp
then open the link MB 2022 Comparison to Competitive Brands.

In addition, another good link at the Stanadyne site is MB 2046
OEM Approvals for Stanadyne DFA.

Old 01-12-2004, 05:35 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
As far as additives go... go with a name brand quality, just like you should do for your diesel fuel. Buying fuel from a "high volume" retailer or truck stop is your best bet for fresh fuel!!!

Buyng diesel from a small "low volume" retailer will give you fuel that is old, and will probably contain more moisture (WATER)!!!

Another good brand of additive is Power Service and comes in 32oz bottles. There is a grey bottle that cleans injectors and raises cetane level and a white bottle (white = winter) that does the same as well as prevent gelling in cold weather.

To the previous guy that said the owners manual says not to use any is correct, but everyone I know uses (for years and years) to prevent gelling in the winter!!!

The Power Service (White bottle) is mixed 16oz to each 50 gallons, or 32oz to 50 gallons for extreme winter/temperature driving or needing to raise cetane levels high enough.

Diesel #2 is the most common and costs less than Diesel #1. Number 1 is good for winter but lacks the cetane level, but allows for better freeze protection. "Winterized #2 is good, but I personally do not trust ANY retailer's "winterized" fuel when the temp gets below 32 degrees F. I am better safe than sorry.

Hopes this helps... and good luck.

Thanks,

Old 01-13-2004, 12:19 PM
fisher_of_man
Posting Guru
just to point out incase others are missing this.....

the diesel kleen (DK) is made by power service....So, I'm sure that Jeff is talking about the same as the rest of us.

Old 01-13-2004, 09:54 PM
2cylguy
Senior User

Is Deisel Kleen the brand name or a product made by a company that calls it Deisel Kleen ?

Old 01-13-2004, 10:02 PM
HerbertKornfeld
Senior User
At what temperature does diesel start to gel?

Do I need to worry about it down here in Houston (where it probably won't ever get below freezing?!).

Old 01-14-2004, 12:10 PM
fisher_of_man
Posting Guru
Originally posted by 2cylguy
Is Deisel Kleen the brand name or a product made by a company that calls it Deisel Kleen ?
the company is Power Service...they make Diesel Kleen.

Old 01-14-2004, 12:21 PM
fisher_of_man
Posting Guru
Originally posted by HerbertKornfeld
At what temperature does diesel start to gel?

Do I need to worry about it down here in Houston (where it probably won't ever get below freezing?!).
I don't think its gonna be an issue too often. I live in west texas and park in the garage. I think the only time you'd need it is if it got real cold and stayed that way for several days. I've had mine out when we did have a couple of days of high 20's and lower 30s for the high and didn't have any problems....but it didn't get and stay cold for more than 24 hours either.

Old 01-14-2004, 12:24 PM
HerbertKornfeld
Senior User
Thanks Fisher.

I use DK and get it from WalMart. Well, I went in last week to buy somemore and discovered that they only had the non-gelling formula (white bottle) in stock. I guess they stock the different formulas depending on the season.

Old 01-14-2004, 01:54 PM
fisher_of_man
Posting Guru
Originally posted by HerbertKornfeld
Thanks Fisher.

I use DK and get it from WalMart. Well, I went in last week to buy somemore and discovered that they only had the non-gelling formula (white bottle) in stock. I guess they stock the different formulas depending on the season.
I don't know...our walmart is always low on grey bottles...don't know if thats just because its the one most everybody uses or not. I don't notice any more of a stockup on white bottles during the winter....if you can find somebody that cares, have em go check to see if they have any in back. I'd be real suprised if they stocked each according to seasons...but then that how wallyworld usually is...they get ya hooked, then you can't ever find it again!

Old 01-14-2004, 08:25 PM
DR JOE
Senior User
Hey GChavez

Well I added the Power Service (white bottle) and the first tank sucked 12.5 mpg but the 2nd tank I got 15.4. I did not add any this tank to see what I will get but I will the next...
Thank you for starting this thread,this is great...

DR JOE

Old 01-15-2004, 11:43 AM
pullen plowen
Junior User
DID ANYONE EVER TRY THE RED LINE STUFF

Quick Reply: Diesel Fuel Additive road test results