Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Diesel Fuel Additive road test results

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 03:22 PM
bricot
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great, it will be good to have that info !

Old 01-06-2004, 10:08 PM
DR JOE
Senior User
G Chavez

I got some stuff called Power kleen from Wal-mart and put 16oz in. I'm hoping that I can find some Diesel Kleen at a near by Truck stop.. I will let you know how this stuff works out. The Bottle said that it will up the certane 4 points.

I do love my truck very much, I don't think that I will every have anything but a PSD..

Thanks again for the help.

DR JOE

Old 01-07-2004, 10:15 AM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Power Service makes the Diesel Kleen DFA. They make two versions that I know of, white bottle and grey bottle. Looks like the white bottle has some anti gelling additives for colder climates and increases the cetane "up to" 4 points (depending on the mix ratio). The grey bottle claims to increase performance and cetane levels "up to" 6 points. Sounds like you might have the white bottle, which I think is similiar to the Rotella stuff I used with mild results. Keep your eye open for the grey bottle, I found the 96 oz size at a regional truck stop called "Flying J". They had plenty of the white bottles on the shelves, I had to specifically ask for the grey bottles. The clerk went to the back stockroom and came back with 3 jugs, I took two and he put the last jug on the shelve. It sat there for about 10 seconds before someone snatched it up. The clerk said the grey bottles are the most popular by far.

Old 01-07-2004, 10:46 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Walmart and Tractory Supply both stock Power Service in the white and grey (Diesel Kleen) bottles.

Old 01-07-2004, 10:56 AM
gburkett
Senior User
just my .02 I have a 01 f350, crew, 4x4. 3.73 rear end. i only get average 13.5 mpg. I have a chip and stinger system and have done the fuel tank mods but to no avail. Also, I use the stanadyne with each fill up. )didnt do much good yesterday. cost me a hundred bucks to have ford thaw out my system after we had single digit temps. anyway, I have talked to others and it seems that everyone I talk to with the exception of those on this site get about the same milage as I am. could it be a difference in which part of the country you live in?? I live in Idaho as just wonder if the altitude has anything to with it.

Old 01-07-2004, 11:50 AM
bricot
Elder User
Are you using the Performance or Lubricity blend?

Old 01-07-2004, 12:58 PM
fisher_of_man
Posting Guru
I love the DK grey bottle...use it all the time. I do think as gburkett has said that it depends on the part of the country your in. I don't know that altitude and temp have as much to do with it as quality of fuel. with fuel very from station to station , I'm sure that it does even more so from differnt parts of the country. Some places have a greater amount of centane to begin with. all have minimum standards, but where some are just meeting those, I bet some are exceeding them. with those places where the fuel is at the minimum, the DK has got to help. After a some point, I would think Centane boost is overkill. For example if Texas fuel is at the min, but California exceeds it by 5-7 points, those in California would see little to no benifit of DK, while those in Texas would think it was the next best thing. I know personally, it has made mine run better, better throttle response, better mileage, and smoother. I know some on here swear its snake oil, but because its helped me, for the price I will continue using it.

as for those who have tied it once or twice and gotten worse mileage, is it possible that cleaning the injectors has clogged up something and it needs a tank or two to clean everything out? This could give you a tank or two of bad mileage, and then get you up. Don't know, but I would be interested in somebody that has had a bad experience to try it for several tanks to see if it makes a difference.

Old 01-08-2004, 01:19 AM
Silverrv
Senior User
I have found that if non-gelling is what you want you better use the white bottle. The grey bottle is a blend more to help lub and clean.

What I do have question about is: does this stuff attack regular plastic pop bottles..?? I like to pre measure mine and the 16 oz plastic bottle with the screw on lids are great, but I don't know for sure if the DFA attacks the plastic. It doesn't seem to.

Can anyone answer that question..???

Old 01-08-2004, 08:23 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Silverrv
What I do have question about is: does this stuff attack regular plastic pop bottles..?? I like to pre measure mine and the 16 oz plastic bottle with the screw on lids are great, but I don't know for sure if the DFA attacks the plastic. It doesn't seem to.

Most plastic bottles are marked for recycling. Most are #1 or #2 (HDPE or LDPE).

Take a look at the bottom of both bottles and see if they are marked. If both are #1 or #2, you should be good to go.

If in doubt, put some of the additive in the soda bottle and let it sit for a while. See what happens.

Old 01-08-2004, 09:23 AM
fisher_of_man
Posting Guru

good question...you sure don't want this stuff getting lose in your truck or tool box....talk about powerful odor!

Old 01-08-2004, 12:07 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

You'll probably have to do some research yourself to figure that one out. You can get MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) from their website www.powerservice.com. It'll probably say what kind of containers are required to store the product. I've been pouring 16 oz into a 32 oz DK bottle, sealing it up in a zip lock freezer bag and keep it behind the rear seat. If my wife finds out, I'm a dead man. I spilled a small drop on my shirt sleeve one time and she forbid that I ever carry that stuff inside the cab.

Old 01-08-2004, 09:22 PM
13hondacr250
Posting Guru
I am now running Stanadyne. My truck has one of those didgital MPG displays and when I dumped in DK I lost about .4 mpg. Other than that no difference in engine sounds or performance. Now that I am buying #2 diesel and putting in a 16oz bottle for every 55 gallon drum I hope my mileage goes back up. Just filled the drums today. Stanadyne better make the gelling stave off to at least -40f. Otherwise I'll be screwed. It claims it lowers it by 40 degrees and the #2 here is good to -10.

How does Stanadyne do? Anyone run it. I know some people on here do.

Old 01-09-2004, 02:51 AM
Silverrv
Senior User
Hey guys thanks for the input about the plastic bottles.. I put some in a green Mountain Dew bottle (green for Diesel) yesturday. It doesn't seem to be bothering it. I'll give it a longer test (maybe a week) before I consider it safe. That is unless someone else has some input.

I didn't see any numbers on the bottle as far as recycling goes.

Old 01-09-2004, 02:57 AM
Silverrv
Senior User
Hey 13hondacr250

Tell me something about this G.O.B.L.IN group.

Is it a formal organization or just something some of the guys claim to be.. Do they have a web site.??

Old 01-09-2004, 07:56 AM
HeatStroked
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I think I saw on another thread that it stands for

Good Ol Boys Like Incest?

Is that right?

Quick Reply: Diesel Fuel Additive road test results