Notices

Ranger seat options

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 06:42 PM
zoostation
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ranger seat options

I'm thinking about throwing some leather seats into my Ranger. I know some of the Explorer seats fit. What are my options for both seats and center consols?

Bill
2001 Ford Ranger XLT

Old 12-16-2003, 11:45 PM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should be able to fit any of the 91-01 Explorer seats, along with their consoles. I personally have not done it, but there is another guy I know bought a set of leather Explorer seats and put in his 2000 Ranger. I'll see if I can get in touch with him and see if he had to change the frame rails or anything...

That would be about the hardest part (if you have to do it) - changing the rails. You could take your rails off your seats and put on the Explorer seats...

Old 12-17-2003, 06:21 AM
zoostation
New User
Thanks Cobra.... let me know if you get in touch with him. If it involkves changing the rails, I'm not going to do it.

Old 01-20-2004, 08:10 PM
westwardbound
Junior User
I know this post is kind of old but if you haven't found any seats yet... you can also use seats from a mustang. GT's are obviously the nicest. Good luck finding them though. Check out mustang web sites.

Old 01-20-2004, 09:30 PM
parks911
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can find bucket seats for any application on www.ebay.com

Old 01-21-2004, 12:47 PM
johare
Elder User
Zoostation,
I just completed the installation of a set of 2000 Explorer power leather seats, a 2001 Explorer center floor console and a 1999 Explorer overhead console into my 1999 Ranger XLT X-cab which had 60/40 seats. I took good notes and even some photos. I would be happy to send you details if you e-mail me. However here is a quick response:
The seats bolted right in after I drilled out a couple of the Explorer seat mounting brackets to accomodate the original Ranger bolts. Seat belts are the biggest issue. The Explorer seat belts would not interchange with my Ranger shoulder/lap belt so I used my original Ranger seat belt female ends (had to do minor modification to the mount). Explorer seat belts mount to the seat frame and the floor (Ranger only to the seat frame) so I had to fabricate a mounting bracket for the floor pan out of angle iron which I mounted in the seat belt mounting holes from the middle (60/40) seat belts. I ran power wires for the power Explorer seats from the cigarette lighter and to a ground (only 2 wires). The seat belt warning light hooked right up since I used the Ranger seat belts but it would also hook up to Explorer seat belts.

As for the console; remove your Ranger ashtray and passenger side air bag switch and the console will bolt right to the dash. I pulled the carpet back and measured and mounted the Explorer console mounting bracket to the driveshaft hump with 1/4" sheetmetal bolts and then bolted the console to the dash and fastened it to the mounting bracket. Since I never turn off my passenger side air bag I just mounted it behind the console out of sight. You could mount it in the console with a little fabrication.

I can also give you directions for the overhead console or e-mail you much more detailed instructions with pictures for any of this if you want.

I bought my seats on E-bay for $235.00, my floor cxonsole at a salvage yard for $125.00 and the overhead console on E-bay for $55.00.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-23-2004, 09:03 PM
zoostation
New User
Johare... Thanks for the detailed response! I would love to see the results/pictures. My email address is kashmire@comcast.net
Thanks again! Bill

Old 01-26-2004, 09:15 AM
johare
Elder User
Zoostation,
The photos are posted in my gallery. And the detailed instructions are posted here:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...hreadid=195170

Old 01-26-2004, 05:46 PM
zoostation
New User
Awesome job Johare! Thanks for the details! Your interior looks great!

Old 03-09-2018, 09:01 PM
Ebradh
5th Wheeling
Would the above apply to my 2002 Ranger X-Cab 4 door?
Brad

Old 01-24-2020, 11:05 PM
Thomas Olson
Originally Posted by johare
Zoostation,
I just completed the installation of a set of 2000 Explorer power leather seats, a 2001 Explorer center floor console and a 1999 Explorer overhead console into my 1999 Ranger XLT X-cab which had 60/40 seats. I took good notes and even some photos. I would be happy to send you details if you e-mail me. However here is a quick response:
The seats bolted right in after I drilled out a couple of the Explorer seat mounting brackets to accomodate the original Ranger bolts. Seat belts are the biggest issue. The Explorer seat belts would not interchange with my Ranger shoulder/lap belt so I used my original Ranger seat belt female ends (had to do minor modification to the mount). Explorer seat belts mount to the seat frame and the floor (Ranger only to the seat frame) so I had to fabricate a mounting bracket for the floor pan out of angle iron which I mounted in the seat belt mounting holes from the middle (60/40) seat belts. I ran power wires for the power Explorer seats from the cigarette lighter and to a ground (only 2 wires). The seat belt warning light hooked right up since I used the Ranger seat belts but it would also hook up to Explorer seat belts.

As for the console; remove your Ranger ashtray and passenger side air bag switch and the console will bolt right to the dash. I pulled the carpet back and measured and mounted the Explorer console mounting bracket to the driveshaft hump with 1/4" sheetmetal bolts and then bolted the console to the dash and fastened it to the mounting bracket. Since I never turn off my passenger side air bag I just mounted it behind the console out of sight. You could mount it in the console with a little fabrication.

I can also give you directions for the overhead console or e-mail you much more detailed instructions with pictures for any of this if you want.

I bought my seats on E-bay for $235.00, my floor cxonsole at a salvage yard for $125.00 and the overhead console on E-bay for $55.00.

Hope this helps.

hey man, reading your thread has me extremely interested in doing this myself. I would greatly appreciate it if you could email me the more detailed instructions and pictures of the whole mod. Thank you very much for sharing this awesomeness
email is thomascolson27@gmail.com

Old 07-02-2021, 07:50 AM
Kjoo67
Originally Posted by johare
Zoostation,

Hope this helps.

Zoostation, I am trying to take on the ambitious undertaking of switching my seats. Can you send me the instructions with pictures as well. Thank you in advance for your reply. Email address is kenjoo67@gmail.com.