truck shakes just a little in idle - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

truck shakes just a little in idle

Old 12-13-2003, 03:35 PM
austinpower
Junior User
austinpower is starting off with a positive reputation.
truck shakes just a little in idle

I just bought my truck 2 weeks ago.
I didn't notice this until AFTER I bought it.
When in idle, the truck shakes or "trembles" every second or so. The shake is not noticable if you are moving around, but IT IS noticable. Call me paranoid, but is something wrong with my truck? My brother's Expedition idles smoooooth.
I have a 2002 4.2L V6 with only 14100 miles. I purchased it with 13600 miles.

Do I need to worry about this? Like I said, it's not that bad, but the fact that "I" know it's there bothers me.

My mechanical skills go only as far as maintenance items, but if this is something that I can fix, then I would like to try before taking my truck to a mechanic for something so minor.

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-13-2003, 07:28 PM
true4.2
Postmaster
true4.2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well, I have an '03 4.2 with just over 10k on it. It shakes a little at idle too. Not much, just a little bit. If your shake is like my shake I'd say you have nothing to worry about.

Ah, I see you have the same truck as me too except mine is black. Click on my gallery to see for sure, but I think we pretty much have the same truck. IMO, you'll be ok, but if you are really worried about it, check the following:

air filter
plugs
wires
fuel filter

Though I doubt seriously that any of these are the culprit, you could always check.

Old 12-13-2003, 08:14 PM
austinpower
Junior User
true4.2,
like you said, my idle shake is not bad at all, and I am sure it's nothing, but I would really like to get rid of the shake.
I already changed the air filter.
I will try changing the plugs, wires and fuel filter at 15k miles. I have 14215 mile now.
Where do you buy your plugs, wires and fuel filters? I believe we have to use a Motorcraft fuel filter or the warranty is void. Not too sure about the plugs and wires though.
If it cures my shakes, i'll change them tomorrow.

Old 12-13-2003, 09:37 PM
travlnman
Elder User
travlnman is starting off with a positive reputation.
If your really into it , I would clean the throttle body w/ some throttle body cleaner. To really do it right, you gotta take it off and clean both sides. Mine will carbon up about every 15k, so I just yank it and give it a squirt. If that don't help you might also check the idle solenoid that keeps your truck from going dead when the air conditioning comes on. I once had a Taurus SHO that would nearly die at a light because that little thingamajig got stuck.

Old 12-14-2003, 08:19 PM
James's f_1_fiddy01
Elder User
James's f_1_fiddy01 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Austin dont sweat it man mine does it too...the reason your boys Expedition idles diffrent is cause its an 8 cyl....but either way dont sweat it.....oh yea if you hear this ticking noise like a lifter its not a lifter its just the oil pressure relief valve

Old 12-15-2003, 12:53 AM
BlueOvalFitter
Posting Guru
BlueOvalFitter is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Hmmmm,my 97 4.2V6 has almost 95k miles on it and idles smooth as silk; no stumbles,shakes,or quivers! Sometimes I wonder if its running! My secret? Preventive maintenance! Keep the carbon cleaned out of the intakes,throttle body, and fuel system.Oh,and using Motorcraft plugs! Also,using a good quality gas and changing the fuel filter every third oil change!

Old 12-15-2003, 10:11 AM
austinpower
Junior User
BlueOvalFitter
How often do you change your spark plugs, cables and fuel filter(mileage)? What is the cheapest place to find these items?

Old 12-15-2003, 10:26 AM
BlueOvalFitter
Posting Guru
Austin,I use to run Motorcraft AWSF 32Cs,copper plugs,but changing them out at 20k miles gets old.I am now running the factory Motorcraft AGSF 42FM platinums. You can get about 60k miles with these.I went with Motorcraft factory wires also,from Ford for like $50.00.I changed them at 85k miles,95k miles on my truck now.If there is an O'reilleys auto parts near you,they sell Motorcraft.I get mine at the local Ford dealer. I also change my fuel filter every third oil change or every 12-15k miles.I buy my fuel filters and CRC throttle body cleaner at Autozone.They also sell Motorcraft plugs.

Old 12-15-2003, 03:17 PM
austinpower
Junior User
BlueOvalFitter
When you change your fuel filter, is it necessary to relieve the fuel system pressure?
I was reading in my Haynes manual, and it says to not spray the throttle body with any cleaner, as it already has some anti-sludge coating. It specifically says to not clean the interior of the trhottle body, any cleaning may impair the performance of the engine. Is this b.s.?

Old 12-15-2003, 04:10 PM
BlueOvalFitter
Posting Guru
I just open the gas cap. You should wear safety glasses; I do,but you dont have to. And that is B.S about the throttle body.Just make sure you dont buy carb cleaner.I use CRC TB clener.It says right on the can "TEFLON SAFE",which is what the TB is coated with.The outside dont matter; inside esp. around the butterfly plate is where the carbon builds up.

Old 12-15-2003, 10:55 PM
austinpower
Junior User
BlueOvalFitter
I just got back from Orielys
Spark Plugs AGSF34FM $3.99 each. These ARE platinum right?
Spark Plug Cables WR-6051 $80.99 holy cow!!!! Did I get overcharged?
Fuel Filter FG-986B $10.49 Reasonable?

This weekend, I plan on changing these items hoping it gets rid of the shakes. Maybe I should give my truck a bloody mary and a beer. It always works for me the next morning.

Old 12-16-2003, 01:08 PM
BlueOvalFitter
Posting Guru
The wires are a bit pricey; but you have that coil pack that is offset to one side unlike mine,which is mounted on the center of the intake.Save your old wires and plugs!The fuel filter is more then I pay for mine.($6.00-$8.00) But,it is a Motorcraft,which is good.And yes,those are platinum plugs.Make sure you get antiseize for the plugs and dielectric grease for the wires! Did you get the special tool to remove the fuel filter?Are you cleaning your throttle body?Ide suggest cleaning it too.

Old 12-16-2003, 01:16 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Bob Ayers has a good reputation on FTE.Bob Ayers has a good reputation on FTE.Bob Ayers has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally posted by BlueOvalFitter
I just open the gas cap. You should wear safety glasses; I do,but you dont have to. And that is B.S about the throttle body.Just make sure you dont buy carb cleaner.I use CRC TB clener.It says right on the can "TEFLON SAFE",which is what the TB is coated with.The outside dont matter; inside esp. around the butterfly plate is where the carbon builds up.
Opening the gas cap will not relieve the pressure on the fuel filter
(fuel rail). You can open the schrader valve on the fuel rail, or remove the fuel pump fuse, and start the engine.....

Old 12-16-2003, 01:32 PM
BlueOvalFitter
Posting Guru
Theoretically,you dont "have" to relieve the pressure.I just open the gas cap because I read somewhere about it.Sure,i get a small burst of fuel but its not worth all the time it takes to drain the shcrader valve or pull a fuse! Just my .02!

Old 12-16-2003, 02:11 PM
austinpower
Junior User
Did you get the special tool to remove the fuel filter?
Yes.

Are you cleaning your throttle body?Ide suggest cleaning it too.
This sounds a little more involved. Do I need to remove the whole thing? What parts do you remove?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: truck shakes just a little in idle

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.