No oil on oil dipstick

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 06:42 PM
Dustin_86
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No oil on oil dipstick

I checked out the local used car lot today and found what appear to be 2 RAGGED
OUT 99PSD's one had 130,000 and just a tiny drop of oil on the bottom of the dip stick
and the other was a 200,000 miler that had a "NEW"auto tranny and "NEW" injectors do PSD's normally go through injectors every 150,000-200,000 miles and burn alot of oil with that little miles on them???????????????? The rest of the trucks look well taken care of! I'm not impressed by the PSD's that I saw. Wore the#$#$ out in less than 200,000 miles.I was just looking for another truck! Now if I could transplant a ISB Cummins in a f350. Awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dusty
PS I hope this does not offend anyone i'm just stating my findings

Old 12-13-2003, 07:05 AM
powerstroker250
Posting Guru
There are alot of high mile good condition PSD's out there. It just depends how they were driven and maintained.

Old 12-13-2003, 09:19 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
If you're willing to buy me a Cummins engine to test, I can wear it out in much less than 200,000 miles. I'd drive it without checking/changing the oil, etc.
Maintenance is the key, and if the Powerstrokes you saw didn't get regular maintenance, I surely wouldn't stereotype all Powerstrokes as a result.

Old 12-13-2003, 11:35 AM
Paarrothead
Senior User
Very few people trade in a good condition diesel pickup.
I went shopping for a good used one a few years ago and 8 out of 10 of the ones I saw had a big problem or three. I paid $100 to have a mechanic check out two that looked good and they had serious problems- one had a flat camshaft, the other had frame damage. And another looked like it had a rolled-back odometer, judging from the wear on the rubber pedals.

Other people trade them in because they couldn't afford the payments for whatever reason.

If they couldn't afford the payments, then they couldn't afford maintenance.

Some folks buy a new truck, then don't put three cents into maintenance or taking care of them because they're planning to ditch them once they're paid off for a replacement. So they wear out in less then 200,000 and end up on Slippery Sam's lot.. Other people take the best of care of them and keep them forever and they go a half-million miles. But if people keep the well-cared-for ones, then they aren't the ones on the used car lot, are they? Guess what that leaves for you to buy?

Be cautions buying a used pickup and *always* have someone damn good go over the thing after you have. Because like a good pair of jeans, no one usually gets rid of them until they're worn out.

Last edited by Paarrothead; 12-13-2003 at 11:42 AM.