Sponsored by:

Whats the best way 2-3" lift on 78 f150 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 12:37 AM
Coonhunter2x1978'S
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats the best way 2-3" lift on 78 f150 4x4

Im don't know what would be best... i am going to have 34" tires and do some serious off road driving FAST.. i need the travel space... i also am very budget with this project. I think i might get new coils anyway... but leafsprings are bad now...think i broke a leaf last weekend chasing some coyotes...but can i get new coils that would give me the 2-3" lift and how do you get the rear .... is there a special leaf spring you can add????

P.S. Is there anyone from nebraska in here.???

Old 12-11-2003, 10:46 AM
78fordman
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would buy some leaf springs off of ebay or something. That would be about 200 dollars, and then i would get some blocks, probably about 50 dollars, and some u bolts another 50 dollars, there you are up to 300, then you are going to need different shocks. If you look in the right place you can get them for about 30 dollars each, there is 360 dollars or the rear end, and you should not need a different driveshaft, not that much lift, but you might. Also might have to get good pair of blocks which have axil tilt built into them, so you do not take out u-joints. As for the front end, you are going to need an alinment, might need some different steering rods, but i doubt it. should get some more shocks which is 60 dollars for a pair, unless you are putting dual shock kit in it, and when the funding becomes available, i recomend that you do that.

Old 12-11-2003, 08:13 PM
79combinetireford
New User
Buy a cheap lift kit. or if u can, build your own, check around for some springs, and go to a junk yard. sometimes they have what u need.

Old 12-12-2003, 04:50 PM
824x4ride
Senior User
quick and simple take an old pair of rear leafs from a 3/4 ton take the main leaf cut it down and add one per rear existing leaf spring then just get new coils it is what was done on my 78 f-150 gave it enough lift iam claering 35x12.50's no prob

Old 12-12-2003, 04:50 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
if it were me....i would go to a junkyard and get a new rear spring (or whatever you need) and get it back to stock. Then go buy you a sawzall and cut the fenders, or better yet just remove them. you want the lowest center of gravity you can get...higher the truck is the more prne it is to flipping.

or you could do what some other ppl do and buy spacers to go under their coil springs in the front. lol

-jason-

Old 12-12-2003, 05:13 PM
FordPickup460
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2-3 inch body lift is usually less than $100

Old 12-12-2003, 05:23 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Originally posted by fordpickup460
2-3 inch body lift is usually less than $100
body lifts are as gay as rice rockets!

-jason-

Old 12-14-2003, 10:05 AM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well by the kind of driving you sound like you'll be doing, you will want more suspension travel. A body lift does not help this, so a suspension lift is the way to go.

Old 12-17-2003, 01:27 AM
1big79
Senior User
Jason,
There are advantages to body lifts because they do make it so you can ride on larger tires and it makes working on the transfer case easier. True you are more prone to flip. But the body lift makes it so you can ride with bigger tires without paying a lot for a suspension lift and you don't have to trim the fenders so you can keep some of the stock look to the body. Instead of chopping the hell out of the fenders and making it look like a beater. Well, I know looks don't mean anything when it comes to off-roading but I drive mine on the street too and I want it to still look decent. For anyone else who uses their Bronco on and off road, a body lift is not "gay."

Old 12-17-2003, 08:39 AM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Well, ok. But I have seen more than one body lift come out and the cab come off and they were done professionally at the shop! Pkus a body lift puts more stress on the frame since there is more leverage....esp on the 3" ones.

just b/c someone has cut their fenders does not mean it is a beater! My uncle cut his fenders out on his superduty and put fender flares and i think it looks better than anything ever coming from the factory!

You get what you pay for! Why not save up and do it right? My first lift was when I was in high skool and it took me almost a year to raise the money but when I did I was so happy I didn't go the cheap route. I got make fun of the posers with the body lifts and 33" radials!

no....the easier way to work on a t-0case is to put a 6" lift and 40" ground hawgs and then walk under it

i stand by my opinion....body lifts are gay! I'm glad you like tham and I don't!

-jason-

Last edited by fishmanndotcom; 12-17-2003 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:50 PM
1big79
Senior User
I don't like them over suspension lifts or anything, I was just saying there are advantages to body lifts....as long as you stay under three inches. Also, what I meant about the transfer case was a body lift raises the body from the frame so you have more room to work on the t-case. From what I have seen, the people who cut their fenders usually do a chop job but if you do it right and put the flares on it it will look great. Body lifts are not all that bad as long as you don't go overboard.

Old 12-17-2003, 02:41 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Originally posted by 1big79
I don't like them over suspension lifts or anything, I was just saying there are advantages to body lifts....as long as you stay under three inches. Also, what I meant about the transfer case was a body lift raises the body from the frame so you have more room to work on the t-case. From what I have seen, the people who cut their fenders usually do a chop job but if you do it right and put the flares on it it will look great. Body lifts are not all that bad as long as you don't go overboard.
true true.... yes there are advantages. It's just always been my way of doing things to do it right the first time...know what i mean? and i was just messing with ya about the t-case thing

when we go up to tellico all you see is hacked up fenders some beaters and some not

-jason-

Old 12-27-2003, 03:17 AM
Idiomaticman
Senior User
so, i know this post is a lil old, but i like the battle here, its interesting. think of it this way fishman, you go out and buy a real nice totally sprung three inch lift for your new ford, i think they did this in four wheeler a few issues back, and you get done and it looks great, and you have your 33s, or 35s on there, so you go wheeling, if you have a short wheelbase truck you never really had any trouble with highcentering, so thats still not an issue, but you flex it out, and you find out you lost about 5-6 inches of flex. this is very common with the nre IFS f150s, you gain lift and lose articulation, and this is with a nice professional lift. doesnt always work like this i know, and with older truck, they dont have IFS, but still, the issue is body lifts vs suspension, for any trcuk. so if you would have gone and bout a 3" body lift, and saved $400, you would have also saved your 5-6" of articulation, and still been able to fit your big tires in the finders, and on top of that, you saved $400...maybe, i dunno how much really, but still, you have to think about every aspect before you go and call something homosexual. body lifts can work better, in some cases....lets talk about the homophobic tendincies, im not gay, is a preference...i dont liek rice rockets either, but i just assume it is safer for me....at least ill get a tire up on the hood if they every hit me

Old 12-27-2003, 03:21 AM
Idiomaticman
Senior User
Oh, and the body lift in my case, im cheaper than hell, and have no budget, i take what i can get, and i came across one hell of a deal on tires, id rather had the tires, than the expensive lift with 31 on there....not very functional...tires are a big part of 4wheelin...so i am partial i guess....still id rather have the suspension lift, my truck being a 91, i have tons of flex right now, couldnt imagin it with more....man, that would be sweet...hahah, someday

Idiomaticman

Old 01-14-2004, 10:28 PM
nooner
Freshman User
body lift

I know this post is old. Just wanted to say this body vs sup. lift is a very hard ? to answer. All these guys who say they have seen body lifts break amd caps come off. I have talked to many 4 x 4 shops and none have ever seen this. Every shop I have talked to has said , only lifting 3" go with body lift. All I want is to fit 33" under my 1995 Bronco.

Quick Reply: Whats the best way 2-3" lift on 78 f150 4x4