1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

3.0Lvs4.0L

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 03:16 AM
Ranger2000
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maybe taht it used to be a car engine explains the poor location of the oil filter. i have to make love to my front driver's side tire just to change it. also, i don't like knowing that i hve the same engine that used to be in probes and tempos

Old 12-15-2003, 10:53 AM
Fredzep
New User
Nice thread.
Newbie here looking at a 4.0 in a 97 Ranger 2WD Auto. Thanks to this thread, I am going to keep my searches with the 4.0 and stay clear of the 3.0.

Old 12-15-2003, 12:37 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by Rockledge
There is a Ford 3.0L "Duratec" DOHC engine that debuted in the 1996 Taurus/Sable which is now used in some other passenger cars and also in the Ford Escape. Entirely different engine from the Vulcan.
To give it fair exposure, here are a few more specs on the 3.0L Duratec engine:

- Production Years: 1996-present (First used in Taurus/Sable)

- Type: V-6 DOHC

- Induction System: Sequential multi-port fuel injection

- Engine Controls: Electronic Engine Control (EEC-V) computer

- Bore/Stroke (in): 3.5 x 3.13

- Displacement: 180 cu. in; 3.0L

- Valves: 24

- Compression Ratio: 10.0:1

- Horsepower, SAE net: 200 @ 5750 rpm

- Torque, SAE net: 200lb.-ft. @ 4500 rpm

Description: Dual intake runners that increase air flow for improved low-end response, and it's remarkably quiet. The block and heads, made of high-strength aluminum, save weight.

It should be noted also that Ford tunes the 3.0L Duratec engine specifically to each application so the HP and Torque numbers (and the torque curve) can vary slightly from model to model and even from year to year.

Old 12-15-2003, 03:01 PM
stRanger706
Senior User
Ha Ha...you guys are funny....you think the 3.0 is slow, try driving a 2.5 Yeah the 4.0s are nice, the torque from those things will rip you a new one.

Last edited by Ken00; 12-15-2003 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:41 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 341 Likes on 207 Posts
Rockledge, thanks for the correction.

Also, I might add that the 3.0 Vulcan engine has been a very dependable engine over the years. I hear of a lot of people with very high mileage on them. The same can be said for the 4.0 engines that were out pre-01 model year. I can't speak for the dependability of the SOHC version because I don't know anyone with high mileage on one yet.

Old 12-15-2003, 07:27 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
I get the feeling that the 4.0L SOHC engine will ultimatley have a long run with Ford itself. As was pointed out, some time in '00-'01 Ford dropped the OHV Pushrod 4.0L from the Ranger and started putting in the 4.0L SOHC instead. And the OHV Pushrod is no longer available in Explorers, either. And keep in mind it's been around since '97, so you have to think that the SOHC's time is now.

I cruise through several Ford sites regularly and I haven't caught wind of any kind of engineering flaws or other problems with the SOHC, nor have I heard about any kind of persistent problems with it (other than the timing chain guide/tensioner problem in the earlier models which to my knowledge has been corrected).

The questions I have now are as follows: (1) If you drop the 3.0L Vulcan from the Ranger lineup, then what do you replace it with? (2) Would it be wise for Ford to offer only two engine options ( i.e., the new I4 and the SOHC)? and (3) Should Ford now make the 5.0L an option in the Ranger (if so, how would this impact F-150 sales)?

Old 12-15-2003, 11:07 PM
Donald Rohret
Senior User
Red face

Why worry? Ford will make the decision regardless of what we think. A 5 liter in the Ranger? Kiss the Ranger goodbye!

Old 12-15-2003, 11:16 PM
eigenvector
Elder User
Engine design

As an engineer I can tell you that there's a heck of a lot more to it than just upping the engine size and dropping it in there.

Ford would have to ask itself a few questions before it decides to drop any of its engines with another.

1) Is there something wrong with the existing engine?
2) Would the replacement engine fix that problem?
3) Can the chassis handle the newer engine
4) Can the existing tranny handle the newer engine
5) If not, does a new tranny have to be designed to fit
6) Can the engine mounts/suspension handle the engine torque
7) etc, etc,.......

Basically you have to ask, what's wrong with the 3.0L? From my perspective - nothing. Its reasonably simple to work on, is reliable, gets decent gas milage, works great for my driving. You can opt for a bigger engine, but why not just get a F-150 at that point? There's a reason the F line is bigger - so they can handle the increased power of the engine and haul the bigger loads.

Old 12-16-2003, 02:30 AM
red_rocket
Senior User
My grandma owns a 00' ex cab, 4x4 ranger with the 3.0 auto. I took it for a 200 mile trip on the highway, to stay with traffic in town, it had to be to the floor, and even then it was hard to keep up. On the highway it cruised nice at 70, but forget passing cars. I averaged about 12mpg with it..

Now, after about 2 weeks, my GRANDMA told told me to take in to the dealer, because she said it didn't have enough power for her, and she was getting about 16mpg with it. The dealer said it was perfectly normal.

My sister's boyfriend has the same truck, same motor, tranny, year, 4x4, etc... It's an absolute slug as well, barely enough power to pass cars, struggles at 80mph on the freeway, gets about 12-13mpg all the time....

The 3.0 is the biggest POS for ever came out with, I have driven rangers with the 2.3 that have more power.

Now, in the same context, My little broncoII gets about 18mpg highway, with a lift, 31's and a 302 sucking thru a 4bbl. My exploder gets 19.5mpg, with the 4.0 and 31's under it.. and both have 5 times the power the 4.0 has. You couldn't pay me to drive a 3.0

Old 12-16-2003, 07:47 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Re: Engine design

Originally posted by eigenvector
As an engineer I can tell you that there's a heck of a lot more to it than just upping the engine size and dropping it in there.

Ford would have to ask itself a few questions before it decides to drop any of its engines with another.

1) Is there something wrong with the existing engine?
2) Would the replacement engine fix that problem?
3) Can the chassis handle the newer engine
4) Can the existing tranny handle the newer engine
5) If not, does a new tranny have to be designed to fit
6) Can the engine mounts/suspension handle the engine torque
7) etc, etc,.......

Basically you have to ask, what's wrong with the 3.0L? From my perspective - nothing. Its reasonably simple to work on, is reliable, gets decent gas milage, works great for my driving. You can opt for a bigger engine, but why not just get a F-150 at that point? There's a reason the F line is bigger - so they can handle the increased power of the engine and haul the bigger loads.
Good point(s) that you raised. I should state here for the record that I am not one of those people who advocate getting rid of the Vulcan 3.0L.

But let's assume for the sake of discussion that the people who don't like the Vulcan engine have their way, and that it is dropped from the Ranger lineup. Then where would we be? Here is how I would answer the rest of your questions in that scenario:

#2 Yes. If the problem is that the 3.0L doesn't have enough guts, then replaing it with a 5.0L to go along with the 4.0L SOHC would certainly fix any kind of power inferiority complex that the Ranger supposedly suffers from. If it's gas mileage you want, then get the 4-Banger.

#3 Yes, a Ranger chassis can support a 5.0L. How can I say that? Well, Ford already had been putting 5.0Ls in Explorer's since 1996 and until just recently ('02 I think) the Explorer and the Ranger were based on the same platform. Also, how many threads have I read about guys swapping 5.0Ls into their Rangers? More than I have time to count right now. Bottom line is that it's already been done (5.0L into a Ranger) many times.

#4 Yes. The 5.0L Explorer and the 4.0L Ranger share the same automatic 5R55E tranny. Ditto for the manual M5OD-R.

#5 No, a new tranny does not have to be designed. See answer to #4 above.

#6 Yes. See answer to #3 above.

So, based on the above, a 5.0L option for the Ranger does not seem like such a far-fetched idea, IMHO.

Last edited by Rockledge; 12-16-2003 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:59 AM
phatpharm85
Elder User
Actually I see one reason that no one else has said yet. Has any one tried to buy a 2004 ranger regular cab with the 4.0, two wheel or four? You cant anymore! so I think the reason why they keep the 3.0 is for the regular cab, as an upgrade from the four cylinder. If thats the case I think the only reason that they offer it in super cab models is to keep the 3.0 sales strong. Look at how many new rangers are super cab over reg cab, and then compare reg cab/3.0 sales to reg cab/2.3 sales. IMHO they sell more reg cab 2.3's then reg cab 3.0's.(XL work trucks) and while were on this subject I have to rant, the options offered on the new rangers suck! No reg cab 4.0! No manual hubs and T-case! No long beds I believe! No cargo light! Come on ford what are doing to us! 31's on special edition $28,000 trucks only!(FX4 Level II) For that price my next truck is going to be a f-250. I say bring back the STX name plate, and offer it in a reg cab long/short bed with 31's, L/S w/locker option, 4.0 and manual hubs/t-case! Ok I'm done!

Old 12-16-2003, 12:25 PM
Mike W
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is why I am glad I stumbled across my 01 Edge reg cab, 5 speed with the 4.0 sohc. I didn't even know at the time that it was a rare truck.

About 260 pounds less then an ext cab and it gets 22 mpg at 70 mph. And it will get up and move out.

Old 12-16-2003, 03:36 PM
Hammy211
Senior User
I got my truck new for 10,500. Seems kinda silly that you could option it up to 28,000. If I were to put only $5000 into my truck I'm sure I could make it comparable a a FX4 minus the extended cab.

Old 12-16-2003, 05:15 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 341 Likes on 207 Posts
In my opinion Rockledge, what Ford SHOULD do is offer a new and more powerful 4-cylinder as an option on ALL Rangers, and have the 4.0L V6 as the upgrade. No V8 is needed. GM (God forbid) has proven that you don't need 8-cylinders to get massive HP in a smaller vehicle.

Toyota Tacoma is available with a 4-cylinder, even in 4-wheel-drive, and it makes almost 180 ft./lbs. of torque. That is the same as a Ford 3.0 V6, and it will acheive much better gas mileage too. Ford needs to quit offering two V6s for the same truck (which in my opinion is stupid) and have more variety like the competitors.

Old 12-17-2003, 09:05 PM
nannok2003
Freshman User
Mind you, the 4.0L is a gas guzzler....
But with the 3.73 gears and a heavy gas foot pedal, what would you expect ????
The 4.0 liter is a lot of engine for such a small truck !!!
You feel like driving a sport car...specially if you have the large P265 tires.
Would't change it...even with 180 000 miles on it.

Happy holidays

Quick Reply: 3.0Lvs4.0L