6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Amsoil Synthetic - is it better than Mobil 1?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 11:26 AM
TBag7295
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsoil Synthetic - is it better than Mobil 1?

I have been researching synthetic oils to use in my new 6.0. I found a site that compares all the synthetic oils and rates amsoil far superior. Has anyone used amsoil synthetic 15/40?
Any opinions?

Thanks for your feedback.

Old 12-08-2003, 01:08 PM
Roger926
New User
Re: Amsoil Synthetic - is it better than Mobil 1?

First, while Mobil 1 exceeds all European diesel PASSENGER car specs, it does not have CI-4 approval which is needed for diesels in the 6.0 and heavier category. It is the best thre is for cars...but a 6.0 is not the right aplication

If you want a fully synthetic API CI-4 approved oil for your 6.0...go with Delvac 1 5W-40...its simply the best fully synthetic CI-4 oil out there.

If you dont want synthetic...I would go with Delvac 1300 Super...which in my opinion is the best mineral based oil out there....yes better than Rotella...plus its made by an American Co....not Shell ...which is a european company

Second...I would put anything that Amzoil makes in anything I own, including my lawnmower...not all of their oils meet API specs.

Look at the bottles carefully....some dont even have the API donut on the bottle...

Their stuff is junk in my opinion

Originally posted by TBag7295
I have been researching synthetic oils to use in my new 6.0. I found a site that compares all the synthetic oils and rates amsoil far superior. Has anyone used amsoil synthetic 15/40?
Any opinions?

Thanks for your feedback.

Old 12-08-2003, 03:21 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Delvac 1 5W-40

the only one

to use

Old 12-08-2003, 03:36 PM
Cody91
New User
I use amsoil 15/40 diesel oil in my 2001 Ford Excursion. I change it every 9000 mile( 40000 mile on it now). I use 0/30 in my 2002 Ultima( I have 52000 on my car now) and I use 10/30 in my wifes 1999 Mazda(100,300 mile on it) and have no problems going 25000 miles between oil changes. I just had acompression check on the Mazda and it is same as when it was new. I asked Amsoil Why some of their oil are not API rate and the answer is below. Hopefully it will help you make an informed decision instead ofsomeone just telling you it is junk. I have used it for several years and it has done eveything is says it will do. I had to cut the response in half and cannot fit the whole thing below, but if you want it, e-mail me at Payneba@sce.com. This only allows 10000 characters

AMSOIL API Licensing
Q. Why aren't all AMSOIL motor oils API licensed?
A. Good question. AMSOIL staffers have recently read some message boards with misinformation regarding this issue. Let us address API licensing in depth, as well as the issue of warranties. Some AMSOIL motor oils are API licensed, some are not. If you're concerned about your warranty and feel pressures to use an API licensed oil, even after reading this answer, then the 5W-30 (XLF), 5W-20 (XLM) or 10W-30 (XLT) XL-7500 or our 15W-40 (PCO) API licensed oils should be your choice. If you are looking for an alternative to frequent oil changes or just want the best performing oil for your car, then one of our top tier non-API licensed synthetic oils are for you. Read on, and decide for yourself.
API Licensing - Passenger Cars - What is it?
An API (American Petroleum Institute) license indicates that a specific motor oil formulation has passed the minimum performance standards as defined by a series of laboratory bench, physical, chemical and engine tests.
Costs
The cost for running a test program for a single passenger car motor oil formulation is from (That amount goes to $275,000 to $500,000 for a Heavy Duty Diesel licensing program on a specific formula.) There is also a small royalty fee per gallon sold for all gallons over one million. The length of time between new specifications is now approximately 2 to 3 years, which does not allow a great deal of time to recover testing costs.
Who Licenses What Formulas?
Additive companies, such as Lubrizol, Ethyl,, Infinium and Oronite, develop licensed formulas that they offer to oil companies to re-license. It is inexpensive to re-license one of these formulas, and the majority of oil companies choose to do this to avoid the costs associated with testing. All of AMSOIL INC.'s lubricant formulas are unique and proprietary.
Flexibility In Manufacturing An API Licensed Formula
API licensing was originally developed for mineral based oils, and it affords these oils more flexibility than synthetic oils.
Mineral oils comprised of group I and Group II petroleum basestocks may use a simple program called basestock interchange for added flexibility in manufacturing and purchasing. Interchange means that by completing the proper paperwork and running a few minor engine tests an oil company can choose to buy these petroleum basestocks from many different suppliers. This ensures adequate supply and competitive pricing. However, basestock interchange for Group III and V synthetic basestocks is not allowed. For example, if a formula was tested with an ester (Group V) basestock from a specific supplier, then anyone blending that formula must buy only that supplier's ester. Complete engine testing would need to be performed on the formula using another supplier's ester before an oil company could buy it from that alternative supplier. This additional testing is normally not performed because of the associated costs. This inflexibility makes it very difficult for synthetic lubricant manufacturers to negotiate prices with synthetic basestock suppliers. Click HERE for more information about Group I through Group V basestocks.
Finally, there is a rule for substitutions in the CMA (Chemical Manufacturers Association) code of practice that allows a small degree of flexibility for all formulas. It allows a company to change the percentages of components in the formula by varying amounts from the original formula with limited testing and paperwork requirements. For example, if the licensed formula used 10% of a certain V.I. improver, you would have the ability to utilize from 9% to 11% of the same V.I. improver for your formula.
Key Limitations For API Licensed Formulas
Phosphorous content - .10% maximum
(API SL; 0W-20, 5W-20, 0W-30, 5W-30, 10W-30 viscosity grades, only)
NOACK volatility - 15% maximum
The maximum allowable NOACK volatility percentage for the new SL/GF-3 passenger car motor oil specification is 15%. Most of AMSOIL motor oils are in the 5% to 8% NOACK volatility range. Studies have shown there is a correlation between NOACK volatility, oil consumption and the amount of phosphorous from motor oil that will end up in the exhaust gasses. Therefore, oils with higher levels of phosphorous but with low volatility, such as AMSOIL motor oils, present no more risk to catalytic converters than low phosphorous oils with higher NOACK volatility. This has also been demonstrated for years in actual application through state mandated exhaust gas testing on our Dealers' and customers' high mileage vehicles using AMSOIL synthetic motor oils. State inspectors are continually amazed at the low emissions levels generated by vehicles using AMSOIL products. So much for poisoning catalytic converters.
AMSOIL INC. has determined that the reduced wear and extended drain intervals achievable with phosphorous levels higher than the API limit of .10% are real benefits for the consumer, and pose no risk to catalytic converters.
Some AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oils Are API Licensed And Some Are Not
1. Full API licensing puts AMSOIL INC. in an inflexible position. Not only would we find it necessary to buy formula components from specific vendors and be at the mercy of their pricing, we would not be able to make any major improvements to the lubricant formulas for 2 to 3 years, without new testing and the associated costs. To solve this problem, the API must establish basestock interchange guidelines for synthetic basestocks just as they have for other basestocks, as well as develop interchange guidelines for other components too.
2. Full API licensing would impose strict phosphorous limitations on our motor oils. This limitation is the main reason most AMSOIL motor oils are not API licensed. AMSOIL INC. currently disagrees with this limitation and feels strongly that the reduced wear and longer oil and additive life achieved through higher levels of properly balanced phosphorous content is more important than the arbitrary API phosphorous limit that does not give any consideration to the NOACK volatility level of an oil.
Fortunately, the law does not allow manufacturers to "void your warranty" simply because of the brand of oil you use, the specifications it meets or the miles you drive between oil changes. To be specific, they cannot deny to fix your broken radio, faulty valve or cracked piston because you used an AMSOIL non-API licensed motor oil, or because you've gone more than 3000 miles since your last oil change. Denial of warranty coverage must be specifically due to an oil related failure.can a manufacturer or dealership deny warranty coverage for that specific problem. In this situation the AMSOIL warranty would apply, and the AMSOIL Technical Services Department would assist you in processing your claim and in getting the vehicle repaired. That's our pledge to you. AMSOIL INC. sells millions of gallons of oil per year and warranty claims are a rare occurrence. If you ever have a warranty problem with an automobile manufacturer or dealership, AMSOIL will assist you by analyzing the problem and providing data supporting the fact that repairs should be made under the vehicle manufacturer's warranty. If this does not resolve the problem, AMSOIL will submit a claim with our insurance company and request that an adjuster have the vehicle repaired and pursue legal settlement later if necessary. The fact is there never has been an engine failure attributed to the non-performance of AMSOIL products, and we do not expect there ever will be. If it ever did, both AMSOIL and our insurance company would make certain your problem was resolved. Click HERE to see the AMSOIL Limited Warranty.
How Does AMSOIL INC. Ensure Their Products Meet Or Exceed The Minimum Specifications Of The Tests Required For API Licensing?
First, AMSOIL INC. works closely with major additive companies to select the top performing, and usually most expensive, passenger car and heavy duty diesel motor oil additives. These additives have already passed all of the API licensing requirements in a petroleum or synthetic based formulation We then utilize a blend of synthetic basestocks with known performance characteristics as a replacement for the petroleum basestocks to optimize performance in areas of lubricity, volatility, viscosity index, oxidation and nitration resistance, pour points, flash points, deposit control, soot handling, emissions, etc. We also will utilize a highly shear stable V.I. improver to ensure viscosity retention throughout extended drain intervals. This replaces the inexpensive and less shear stable V.I. improver used in the API licensed petroleum formula. No other oil company has such a vast data base of the performance of synthetic lubricants over extended drain intervals.
AMSOIL INC.'s products and formulations outperform API licensed oils. They're engineered that way. Period.
Conclusion

Old 12-08-2003, 05:30 PM
ultraclassic
Senior User
Cody just one question are you an Amway... er... uhh... sorry Amsoil distributor by any chance?

Old 12-08-2003, 05:33 PM
Roger926
New User
OK..nice cut and paste...

that's just a bunch of gobbeltygook...they do a good job of marketing an inferior product in my opinion..like Microsoft...

amzoil has made as much a business out of generalization as they have making oil...basically what they do is buy a bunch of base stock and say a "lubrizol" and tell them to give us an additive package for a 5W-30 synthetic oil and then they blend it.
The additive doesn't pass the test-- the blended oil does... NOACK volitility test is a good indicator of the base stock's performance...not the additive package...and all Amzoil is getting is generic...not a good quality tried and true comprehensive package. So the NOACK arguement is pointless...another AMZoil trick.

There is a reason why every major high performance veghicle made worldwide uses Mobil 1 and not AMZoil...because Mobil 1 is better

There is no question that it costs lots of money to run a full program to qualify an oil..specs are specs...either you do the homework or you don't.

If I have spent $45,000 for a vehicle, I'm not putting an oil in the crankcase that might meet specs and might not...don't know cause they didn't run the tests..

would you buy tires if they didn't meet DOT standards? or milk if you weren't sure it wasn't free of bacteria...how about medicine to make sure it wouldn't kill you???

See...everything has to meet a standard...and you are rolling the dice...its just a matter of time before one person one time has a problem and then they will complain that no one told them....

So you go ahead and gamble with your $45,000 vehicle...yeah the one you make your living with or the one that carries your family....

bottom line is a mediocre synthetic such as amzoil will do not harm if you change it every 9000 miles..but you'll not get the extended drain capability (see what Amzoil looks like at 15,000 miles) or severe service protection you get from an oil that meets or exceeds API standards.

I have been in the lubricant development business for over 20 years and I have seen good oils and bad oils...and ones that squeeked by...I'll pay more for one that gives me a cushion of protection....and thats Mobil 1 or Delvac 1...

I don't care what you buy...but if I have spend a good chunk of bucks on a vehiocle..I'm protecting it with Delvac 1 and my cars with Mobil 1.

Eveybody has the freedom to do what they want.....

In any case good luck.....

Old 12-08-2003, 05:40 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Stay away from ANY Amsoil product!!!!!!

Matter of fact, stay away from any mutli level marketing
product!!!!!

Old 12-08-2003, 07:28 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
You can:

1. buy expensive syn. oil;
2. buy an expensive oil filter; and
3. sleep better at night.

Or you can:

1. buy the cheapest API-certified oil that you can find;
2. buy whatever oil filter is on sale;
3. take your wife to dinner with the savings; and
4. sleep better at night (if she lets you sleep).

Old 12-08-2003, 07:51 PM
Odds On 21
Junior User
"There is a reason why every major high performance veghicle made worldwide . . ."

veghicle? Great idea. Runs on vegetable oil instead of diesel?

Old 12-09-2003, 05:50 AM
Roger926
New User
yeah ok...I know about oil but I cant type....

Originally posted by Odds On 21
"There is a reason why every major high performance veghicle made worldwide . . ."

veghicle? Great idea. Runs on vegetable oil instead of diesel?

Old 12-09-2003, 07:02 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Knowing oil is very important
typing well...........

maybe #8

Old 12-09-2003, 05:54 PM
Cody91
New User
Ok it may be gobblety gook, but based on an independent study done by Ed Hackett at the Unisersity of Nevada's desert research facilty (go to http://www.unofficialbmw.com/all/misc/all_oilfaq.html) Amsoil seems to do better than Mobil 1 and any other oil out there in viscosity index, pour point, and flash point, which are three of the major important properties of oil. I assume this is an independent study, unless you can prove otherwise.
Also, before I started using Amsoil I called Mobil to find out why I could find no comparisons of their oil with other oils on their web site or anywhere else (Check it out for your self). I used the four ball test as an example. Their tectnician said the four ball test was not a valid test and that there information is based on real world experience over the poast 30 years. THe tect still couldn't give me any facts. Come to find out the four ball test is a valid test and is on the Astm web site.

Give me a site where I can go to show Mobil one is better than Amsoil using valid tests.

Since I am still learning about oil and what is the best to use, the only thing I can do is base my decision on the facts I can find. I can't find any on Mobil one.

T
As far as every major oil company using Mobil 1 and not Amsoil. The only thing I can see is that amsoil has done a good job of Marketing, Mobil 1 has done a better job.

By the way the Amsoil 5/30, 5/40, 10/40, 15/40, and XL7500 oils due meet all API standards.

Old 12-09-2003, 06:03 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Originally posted by Cody91

Since I am still learning about oil and what is the best to use, the only thing I can do is base my decision on the facts I can find. I can't find any on Mobil one.
You answer comes in the way...........of how many major companies, on both sides of the big ponds, that use the oil.

The test, is in the use...................by the number
of companies. That includes major racing teams.

Old 12-09-2003, 06:59 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Cody91
Ok it may be gobblety gook, but based on an independent study done by Ed Hackett at the Unisersity of Nevada's desert research facilty (go to http://www.unofficialbmw.com/all/misc/all_oilfaq.html) Amsoil seems to do better than Mobil 1 and any other oil out there in viscosity index, pour point, and flash point, which are three of the major important properties of oil. I assume this is an independent study, unless you can prove otherwise.
Also, before I started using Amsoil I called Mobil to find out why I could find no comparisons of their oil with other oils on their web site or anywhere else (Check it out for your self). I used the four ball test as an example. Their tectnician said the four ball test was not a valid test and that there information is based on real world experience over the poast 30 years. THe tect still couldn't give me any facts. Come to find out the four ball test is a valid test and is on the Astm web site.

Give me a site where I can go to show Mobil one is better than Amsoil using valid tests.

T
As far as every major oil company using Mobil 1 and not Amsoil. The only thing I can see is that amsoil has done a good job of Marketing, Mobil 1 has done a better job.

By the way the Amsoil 5/30, 5/40, 10/40, 15/40, and XL7500 oils due meet all API standards.
Laboratory test data? My cars don't run in a laboratory. I could care less about some stupid 4 ball bearing test. Prolong and Slick 50 use the same test to show how good they are too.

There is only 1 real-world test of oils that I am aware of, that was in Consumer Reports 4-5 years ago. They concluded that with oil and filter changes per manufacturers recommendation, there was no difference between any oils, dino or Mobil 1.

So get out your test tubes and your bunsen burners and test all that you want. Doesn't tell you diddley squat.

Old 12-10-2003, 08:02 AM
Roger926
New User
OK....

Viscosity index and flash point are meaningless measurements as far as performance is concerned..they are properties not performance statistics

Pourpoint is inherent in the base stock which is completely generic since the base stock is available anywhere for even garage blenders to use if they have the money.

The strength of a lubricant is in the additive system which is where Mobil 1 and Devlac 1 blow everyone else away.

To answer your question...there is no site that shows the specific test results you are looking for. The fact that Amsoil cites the results of their own meaningless test results should tell you that.
The tests that they run or say they have run are NOT qualifiing tests for oil...

of course the 4 Ball test is a valid ASTM test ...for industrial gear oils, not engine oils..so because they get a more favorable results from one oil to the next is irrelevant. Amsoil just looked for a test to run that was an ASTM test and kept running both oils till they got a result that they could hang their hat on...

The test reults that matter are the number of OEMS that have Mobil 1 as factory fill, that recommend Mobil 1 (or synthetic oil in general).

This is an arguement that will rage forever...no different then Ford vs Chevy.

I believe one thing and someone else believes something else. I know what I know because I have been in lubricant product development for over 20 years. I'm not saying that I know better than anyone else, only that I have been able to see first hand performance results of Mobil 1 vs others.

But dont get on here and cite meaningless test results and parrot Amsoil's line of BS....

by the way...check the bottles of amsoil again...are you sure thats the real API donut ????on all the bottles?

Mobil 1 proves itself everyday in the marketplace...silently making believers...... I cant tell you how many fleets I've visited who have converted to Mobil 1 or Delvac 1 because of performance, fuel economy

I will tell you this ...as far as race teams go...there are more teams that use Mobil 1 on race day for peformance, etc than you know....maybe even some that have something else on their car...get my drift?

there's your test severity...if it performs at that level then the protection it gives me at home gives me piece of mind that is priceless

I dont care if you believe me or not...those who know....know

Right Tim?

Quick Reply: Amsoil Synthetic - is it better than Mobil 1?