New 4.2 owner. need info - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

New 4.2 owner. need info

Old 12-07-2003, 11:57 PM
jbo2121
Senior User
jbo2121 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Exclamation New 4.2 owner. need info

hey guys, i have been a ford man all my life and i finally bought my first new ford truck last month. I'm on a college budget so i had to go with the 4.2 v6 with the xl trim. i got a real good deal on it (payment are only 300 a month for 60!). now i need some facts on the 4.2. i wanna put some more horses into it slowly but surely. What should i start with? i've been doing some research and here's a list of things i am considering. any advice will be greatly appreciated

1)Superchip or diablo? or should i just wait for a programmer to come out?

2)Intake kit- mac or airraid or airforce?

3) exhaust- flowmaster 40 or delta 40 which sounds the best? P.S. how bout borla or magnaflow?

4)High flow cats- do they really help?

5)Throttle body spacers?

6)anything else?

I have a friend with a 4.8 chevy who said i would never be able to beat him in the 1/4 with pure muscle (no nos). i want to prove him wrong. I told him to give me a year.
i need some experience based advice fellas. please help!!

Old 12-08-2003, 12:12 AM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
horizonhuskies is starting off with a positive reputation.
No nos, pure mods? Supercharger, exhaust, and get rid of your tailgate, glove box, and rear seat. Get a diablo and have Ken get a custom prgogram that will max out possible HP.

Your buddy will only dream of being able to read your liscence plate during the 1/4 mi.

Garrett

Old 12-08-2003, 10:08 AM
jbo2121
Senior User
thanks for the advice horizon but i don't want to go the supercharger route. (reliability issues). anyone else?

Old 12-08-2003, 11:48 AM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
Hehehe...Ok I will give you a real answer then. Remember, these are just personal opinions.

This is how I would start:

First off, I woudl define what I wanted out of my truck. Personally, I wanted a sleeper, and am on my way to achieving that, IMHO.

First off, I would get an intake. Many of the guys here perfer MAC, Airraid, or AirForce1. I personally like Volant. I found the MAC for 139.99, and the Volant can be as expensive as 220. Its all about how much you want to spend, and what you think is pleasing to the eye. Personally, they all do the same thing, and all claim the same HP (Or damn close!) Its up to you.

Next, since you have more intake, I would go with exhaust. I personally like Gibson, but I see you like da flows. From what I remember reading, and what Ive heard, a 40 single chamber is earth shattering loud. Just keep in mind you have a v6, and I dont think you will ever get that "rumble" that a v8 can acheive.

Next, you REALLY need a chip or headers. Personally, I would do the JBA shorty headers, ceramic, then a chip. I think, IMHO, flow is the key. They run about 530. I love em, but anticipate 6+ hours to install.

Next, you email Ken a list of mods, gear ratio's, and anything else. You get the price for your new Diablo chip. Tom report a .4 second difference in his otherwise (correct me if Im wrong here Tom) stock truck. That is freakin amazing. Im not sure what your buddy has or is doing to his. But this is a GREAT way to get started.

I have a TB Spacer, and am not convinced it helps a whole lot, but I have a hard time telling, since I threw all my mods on at once. Next, you need a good LSD. I like the Eaton, or Auburn. Not too pricey buying it, but the install might get up there. After that, maybe 4.10 gears are in order. Send your chip back to be reflashed. I think with 4.10s, exhaust, intake, headers, an Auburn LSD, and a custom Diablo, you are haulin ****. We could even call you the **** Master? I dunno.

Like I said this is an awesome way to build up the truck, but only in my opinion. Have fun dood, and keep us posted on how you build up that monster.

Garrett

Old 12-08-2003, 05:30 PM
true4.2
Postmaster
true4.2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think Horizonhuskies took the words from all our mouths.

Welcome to FTE!

Old 12-08-2003, 05:46 PM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
Thanks Joe :::sheds a tear like that Native american gentleman in that 70's commercial:::

Oh yeah, welcome to FTE

Old 12-08-2003, 07:40 PM
jbo2121
Senior User
thanks horizon for the input. that last thread was alot closer to what i had in mind. i'm probably gonna go with a mac intake, spacer, underdrive pulley, and exhaust first, then i'll get the chip. the install on the gears and locker will be no problem. (i installed an auburn on my buds 95 bronco.)once again thanks guys. i'm like a little kid at christmas time-i can't wait to get started, but da budget rules.

P.S. true 4.2
bill clinton once said " i smoked it, but i didn't inhale" (or something close to that) lol just had to throw that in there.

Last edited by jbo2121; 12-08-2003 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:42 PM
jbo2121
Senior User
oh yeah forgot something. i went to a well known exhaust guy around the atlanta region and he reccommended the magnaflow muffler. hmmmmmmm never heard it and i can't get any input on how it sounds. he swears up and down it adds more power than a flow and it sounds better to boot.......hmmmmm