1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Purchase Advise for a Remote Start Product

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 01:20 PM
Maxdog
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Purchase Advise for a Remote Start Product

I'm thinking about getting a Remote Starter for my truck. I would like to hear all the pros and cons about Remote Starters in gereral and specifically what manufactured brand will work best in a 2002 F250 XLT. Also, will Ford possibly VOID my warranty if I do not use a Ford Product ?

Old 12-04-2003, 04:09 PM
crashandburn420
Junior User
Try Viper's Responder line if you are also interested in adding vehicle security and expandability to the list. Check it out at Directed Electronics These guys also have the same thing under the Clifford brand and maybe others. They are all the exact same thing.

Old 12-04-2003, 05:53 PM
cocot
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went with the factory Ford remote start because I didn't want any warranty problems. I am glad I did because it really works well. I paid $200 installed.

Old 12-04-2003, 09:11 PM
jfalkingham
Junior User
I had a remote starter put on my F350 a few months ago. I get excellent range, went with Astro Start with the keyless entry option. Last few mornings it has been about 5 outside, nice to hit the remote starter when I am getting out of the shower :-)

Old 12-04-2003, 10:44 PM
Super Steve
Laughing Gas
COCOT,

Did you have the factory remote entry? Does the remote for the ford remote starter also operate the alarm? I have the ford remote entry with an alarm and would like to get a remote starter and not have to use different remotes. I would also like to get a turbo timer that keeps the engine running for a specified amount of time after pulling the key out and exiting the vehicle. Anyone know of any good ones or if ford makes one?

Old 12-05-2003, 07:11 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the ford gold remote installed by my dealer just for peace of mind avoiding any possibility of issues with finger pointing re warranty issues...
I paid much more than 200 installed though ! U got a deal there if it was the gold kit! mine was $450 installed....

it is integrated with the pats system and has MANY more features than I use... but does have the ability to exit with the key and run for about ten minutes for turbo cool down... I used it during the turkey day 1000 mile run - nice to exit the interstate and run into the potty without having to wait on it to cool down ! Sometimes it's an emergency to get in there

they needed both original remotes to change them to accomodate the new face plate? for the start button...

they installed it in a day and have had no issues with it....

Old 12-05-2003, 01:38 PM
Super Steve
Laughing Gas
Are there more than one remote start kits offered by ford? I went by my knowledgeable ford dealer today and they have never installed a remote starter system and I had to explain what it was. He looked up their accesories and found it for $180. He could not find anywhere if it had the feature that lets you run the vehicle after you get out to let the engine oil cool. That is what I want, along with the remote start. Does anyone know if that comes with all remote starts made by ford? My dealer said if I ordered it, I would have to keep it because it is an electrical item.

Old 12-05-2003, 02:38 PM
resqdawg3
Senior User
I found this...Is this the one that you guys are talking about that has the million features to it?

http://www.fordgenuineaccessory.com/...G364CA-91&GID=

Old 12-05-2003, 04:40 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Steve,
Yes, there are 3 types of for remotes...
And I'd go to another dealer because it's NOT a simple install !

Old 12-05-2003, 06:06 PM
resqdawg3
Senior User
What's so hard about it? I take it that it's not just a plug and play?

Old 12-11-2003, 03:42 PM
Stan Wright
New User
Old 12-11-2003, 09:43 PM
nafzimo
Posting Guru
Originally posted by Stan Wright
http://www.eurekaboy.com/f250/designtech.htm
Hey Stan! First off, thanks for the helpful website. I've used it more than once.

I have been having problems with my bulldog starter. I connected the trunk key to the horn as the book shows but rather than a 3/4 second beep, the thing sticks on until I can get under the dash and unplug the starter. I sent it back numerous times (RS102E) and they have now sent me an RS1100E. The connections are not the same and it is going to take me a while to figure out how to install the new model... especially if I want the locks to work with the remote. Anyway, do you get a 3/4 of a second of action with your trunk button? Even without it hooked up, you should be able to hear the relay.

Thanks,
Matt

Old 12-11-2003, 11:59 PM
Tim Houston
New User
What no one is telling you is the FACT that the new Ford remote start has a 30 second delay which sucks unless you live in Alaska! My other Ford has a Viper remote start with a 10 second delay. It's pointless to wait 30 seconds unless you live in a cold climate. I'm in Houston and I feel I wasted my money and should have went with the Viper again.

Old 12-12-2003, 09:40 AM
ford 2 fitty
Freshman User
I live in NJ and need at least a 15 second delay before starting. I thought most of those systems had a programmable delay?

Old 12-12-2003, 12:43 PM
nafzimo
Posting Guru
Originally posted by Tim Houston
What no one is telling you is the FACT that the new Ford remote start has a 30 second delay...
Is that only on a diesel model? If so, I don't think Maxdog cares.

Quick Reply: Need Purchase Advise for a Remote Start Product