weird headlight prob

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 06:00 PM
12engine
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weird headlight prob

hi all,
I have a weird headlight problem. during normal driving, the lights are both lowbeam. when I push the turnsignal lever forward to hold the highbeams on, the drivers side light will turn off, but the pass light will stay on and go to highbeam. when I pull the lever back (like im gunnna flash my highbeams) both lights stay lit, but the drivers side is still lowbeam, while the pass side goes to the proper highbeam.
Thanks in advance.
truck is 1994 F150 2wd 300 I6 E4OD without A?C, if that matters. lemme know if you need to know anymore.

Thanks,
Brian

Old 01-13-2009, 08:21 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts
What do you get when you operate the switch normally? By normal, I mean pull it back till it clicks for lowbeam, and then pull it back till it clicks for highbeam, letting go of the switch each time?

Sounds like the driver's side highbeam filament is out, but I am not sure what it does when it's operated in full time high beam.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:17 PM
12engine
Postmaster
in my truck, to click the highbeam on u push forward. i pull it back to hold the highbeams on manually (to be an ********* as i like to say). when the switch is in neutral (lowbeam) both lights are fine. when i push forward, the drivers side light turns off, but the passenger side goes to highbeam like normal. when i pull it back, the drivers side is lit, but on lowbeam, while the passenger side, again, goes to highbeam. hope i answered you question.

I thought it was a filament too, but then i wondered y the drivers light would stay lit normally.
i did burn out a drivers side headlight a couple years ago, not that matters. just exploring all options.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:45 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
it is new bulb time.

if i remember correctly,
on highbeam or lowbeam, it works on one filiment.
on flash mode, it works on both filiments for a brighter light.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:39 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts
in my truck, to click the highbeam on u push forward.
That's a new one. All the ones I have ever worked you pull back. I agree, I think you have a highbeam filament out.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:45 AM
12engine
Postmaster
ah ha. yeah i wasnt sure.
Franklin2, to hold the highbeams on (so it clicks and I can let go and still have highbeams) you push the lever forward. I think when I tried to describe this, I messed it up somehow so it was more confusing. lol
atleast its a headlight bulb prob and not a wiring problem.
thanks for the help.