6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

HATE to say its time to buy back

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 12:37 PM
DWolf
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry HATE to say its time to buy back

I had to tow my baby 700 miles home and I just can not trust the my truck to go out of town. This was the second time it was towed in and the second time I was 600-700 miles from home and it dies and leaves me on the side of the road. two other times I was close and limped into the dealer. I wasent sure if I wanted to post this but I would like to here from some guys who did the buy back and get some advise. I must say I love my truck when it runs it is so awsome but when it dies there is no warning at all and it could be a real dangerous to die when towing on a small mountain road or in the fog I have been real lucky so far when it has died (15 times) I have had the room to pull off. The stange part is I had over 20k on the truck before the first time it died then it got a reflash in Oregon and drove home fine then died three more times and had to be towed in. My local dealer put in a new cam sensor and pcm, I picked it up on a friday at 5pm put about 50 miles on it and then sat morning (yes less than 24 hrs) I was towing my boat to the lake when it died right in front of my dealers driveway. By tuesday they had put in a new ficm and it has been great since 9-16-03 and about 6k mile and then I tow my 27' trailer through bad fog ( dont want to think about it dieing then) and get 700 mile from home and it dies again. I towed it all the way home to my local dealer on mon 11-24-03 and now they tink a new wire harness is the problem and so they when it gets here we will see. I will order another truck just like this one and move all my goodies to the new one so if any one can help with the buyback I would be real greatful.

Old 11-30-2003, 07:37 PM
emtabmm
Posting Guru
First off, my condolences on your truck.

Second, you will have to check your local laws for buyback info, they are vastly different in every state....

Old 11-30-2003, 07:59 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Hay there bud,
Sorry to hear, but you know it was only one more time and then it was gone.
Keep us all informed.
Tim

Old 11-30-2003, 11:09 PM
DWolf
Senior User
Ya thanks guys and yes Tim your right one more time was to much for me. I will be talking to my tech monday and I think I will order a new one just like mine(but a 04 that wont die) on tuesday since my saleman is off on mondays.

Old 12-01-2003, 12:37 AM
F2506.0wannabe
Junior User
They may be right about the wire harness.

This is copied off another website that lists service issues on the 6.0PSD

Wiring Harness Chafing:
Some 03/04 trucks with the 6.0 may exhibit a crank/no start, rough running, misfire, buck/jerk or lack of power. This may be due to the FICM harness chafing on a valve cover stud near the FICM. Other potential locations for chafing are where the harness routes past the EBP sensor, the idler on the driver side of the engine and the glow plug control module bracket on the passenger side of the engine. REroute and repair the harness as necessary. Broacast Message 0918.

Old 12-01-2003, 06:28 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Originally posted by F2506.0wannabe
They may be right about the wire harness.

This is copied off another website that lists service issues on the 6.0PSD

Wiring Harness Chafing:
Some 03/04 trucks with the 6.0 may exhibit a crank/no start, rough running, misfire, buck/jerk or lack of power. This may be due to the FICM harness chafing on a valve cover stud near the FICM. Other potential locations for chafing are where the harness routes past the EBP sensor, the idler on the driver side of the engine and the glow plug control module bracket on the passenger side of the engine. REroute and repair the harness as necessary. Broacast Message 0918.
OK it looks as though I need to get a manual that shows nomenclature with location, will this work for my problem.

Not knowing what the acronyms mean and the location of said parts?

Old 12-01-2003, 06:41 AM
emtabmm
Posting Guru
FICM = fuel injector control module
EBP = exhaust backpressure sensor

Old 12-01-2003, 06:41 AM
emtabmm
Posting Guru
working on a location diagram....

Old 12-01-2003, 06:45 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
THIS I NEED BAD

your a bud

Old 12-01-2003, 11:25 AM
emtabmm
Posting Guru
Tim, see new thread for location pics....

Old 12-01-2003, 02:14 PM
cgl
Posting Guru
DWolf, are you still using Hammond as your repair dealer? I'm not sure about you, but I haven't had the best of luck with them, unfortunately. It seems the guys at Haidlen have a lot more knowledge with diesel's. I know it's not too local, but their service department (and Body Shop) do an excellent job!

Old 12-01-2003, 05:57 PM
sterno
Freshman User
Dwolf,
Not to add fuel to the fire, however, my 04 with an 04 motor died on me after only 416 miles. At that point I had only had the truck for 8 days. The diagnosis was chafed wiring harness. Hey, I was a bit chafed also. Given the MSRP of the truck I figured that was about 100 bucks a mile. Anyway, the dealer got on it the next day. Now I have 1500 miles and hopefully the problem has been solved. Who knows. If you look in the engine compartment at the way the wiring is right on the valve cover studs you won't be surprised. I think I'm going to cover the studs with some flexible tubing. Sorry about your bad experience. Hope things work out. When it runs, it rocks.

Old 12-01-2003, 06:27 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Originally posted by sterno
Dwolf,
Not to add fuel to the fire, however, my 04 with an 04 motor died on me after only 416 miles. At that point I had only had the truck for 8 days. The diagnosis was chafed wiring harness. Hey, I was a bit chafed also. Given the MSRP of the truck I figured that was about 100 bucks a mile. Anyway, the dealer got on it the next day. Now I have 1500 miles and hopefully the problem has been solved. Who knows. If you look in the engine compartment at the way the wiring is right on the valve cover studs you won't be surprised. I think I'm going to cover the studs with some flexible tubing. Sorry about your bad experience. Hope things work out. When it runs, it rocks.
Is this the same problem as the above thread on harness issue

Old 12-01-2003, 06:51 PM
sterno
Freshman User
Tim,
Seems to me that it is. My service receipt is out in the glove box, but as I recall it listed a bunch of diagnostics and concluded with "Harness, Wiring R/R." The service manager told me they repaired a harness. I should have been more curious, but I didn't inquire further.

Old 12-01-2003, 07:34 PM
LouieBobo
Freshman User
Try this web site for diagrams.

http://www.backglass.org/duncan/ps60_manual/

Quick Reply: HATE to say its time to buy back