Computer Chips & Tuners  

I installed my Delta Chip today, Ken.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 09:35 PM
pops_91710
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, let's assume the 5.4 in my truck has a knock sensor and it is turned on. Will it retard the spark even with the Diablo Delta installed? If it's there, where can I find it? Can I disable it?

I'm thinking I may have cheated myself out of some fun on that trip to Utah by not putting in any premium fuel and the knock sensor cut back on the spark lead, negating performance enhancements.

Not to mention, most of my "testing" was done at elevations over 4,000 feet (in Salt Lake City/Provo), and 6,000 feet (Cedar City, Beaver).

To tell you the truth, I think I did pull some of those long grades a little better than last time, even loaded up with furniture like I was, and using winterized California oxygenated fuel.

I topped out some grades at over 6,000 feet.

Even 85 octane didn't ping in premium position. I think I'll quit doing that incase the pinging is imperceptible to my ears!!!

When I get that LED installed so I'll know for sure I am switching programs, I'll go fill it up with premium as soon as I can gobble up the 87 that's in it now. Then we'll see what's what!

Maybe when I put a real load on it (like my travel trailer) that's where I'll see the real differences. Especially in the shifts being firmer.

At 4,000 feet on a stiff grade (6% plus) I hunker down to 50 mph in second gear at 3500 rpm's. If that improves, I'll be happy.

Last edited by pops_91710; 12-03-2003 at 09:43 PM.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:10 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes, it will still function with the Diablo. I wouldn't disable it, its an engine safety feature, assuming it has it activated (some Ford's don't).

Disconnect the battery for 15 minutes to reset the computer. The performance will get better with the premium setting over the course of 100+ miles and a couple of key cycles. What you've been doing is experimenting - the same as touching a stove to see if its hot or touching a bench with a wet paint sign! You may be getting ping, not hearing it, and it will eventually pit your pistons plus the chip will never get up to its full potential. Run the chip settings with the fuel recommended for each setting.

Did you order an LED? (Can't send one for free.)

Old 12-05-2003, 08:08 PM
pops_91710
Laughing Gas
Jolene advises the LED was mailed on Dec 3rd. It should be here next week.

I can't believe I never thought of those things (knock sensors and all). These new electronic controls are a new thing for me. There is certainly a learning curve that I have to catch up to.

Thanks to Ken, this forum, and FTE I'm getting a lot of education more quickly than I could have on my own. Heck I never would have considered a performance chip until I heard Ken talk them up.

Okay, after the led arrives, I'll burn out the 87 octane I have in the tank now. Then I'll install the switch, (with the battery disconnected) and fill 'er up with premium unleaded.

The truck sits in my driveway un-driven save for a few week-end runs. I commute in my little Civic so I can afford to drive my truck on the fun trips and stuff.

Oh, the thought just occurred to me. Instead of burning up all that 87 octane fuel, what can I add to it to bring it up to 92 octane? (I have 38 gallons of 87).

Thanks for the info...

Old 12-07-2003, 05:52 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Octane booster will not raise the octane level (they're a scam). When the bottle says "raises octane by 3 points" they mean 0.3 (zero point 3) not 3.0 (3 point zero). It simply will not do the trick to get the octane up. The only time booster helps is if you put premium in and it turns out to be marginal premium, the booster may be enough to get up to par.

Old 12-11-2003, 07:42 PM
borin&strokin
Senior User
To boost the octane, you can go to a paint supply store and pick up some toulene. Mix to about 20 percent, and you will have better than "premium"

Ken, how much additional gains can be had on a SD 460 if one was to have a 110 octane program made up? It has headers and exhaust. Over the 92/93 octane that is.

Old 12-11-2003, 08:25 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
I don't know, haven't seen any dyno results for a similar setup. The only way to know with a 1 off custom is with a dyno. Also, with octane there is a point of deminishing returns for the buck and there comes a point where advancing the timing further buys no additional HP. The highest you'll typically see at many smaller local tracks is about 103.