Custom Program vs. Dealer Re-Flash

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 05:17 PM
43Duc
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom Program vs. Dealer Re-Flash

Today I was driving my 06 F-150 w/ magnacharger when the truck started running rough and the "Engine Failsafe" came up on the display. I have an Edge for codes an gauges, but not for programming, so I ran the code and it said "P2135: Throttle / Pedal position sensor / switch A/B voltage correlation". I did not clear the code.

I turned off the truck and re-started it and it ran fine enough to get me home w/ seemingly no problems. The "failsafe" message was gone as well.

So, I'm going to take the truck to the dealer to see what they can do, but I'm concerned that they will want to "re-flash" my computer since that seems to be the equivalent of a doctor saying "take 2 motrin and call me tomorrow". My question is, I dont' want them to re-flash since my computer was custom programmed for the supercharger. Anybody have any advice on how to handle it when they tell me that's what they are going to do? I do have the sticker on the ODB port declaring the custom map.

Thanks for any help. I know some of you are aware of my history w/ this truck. I don't think this one is related to the previous issue. Although, I only have about 300 miles on it since the last issue was resolved.

-chris

Old 03-09-2008, 07:00 PM
meanv10
Elder User
So is the code gone, if so i don't think that they can do anything if they cant read the code.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:41 AM
43Duc
Junior User
No, I did not clear the code. Besides, I restarted the truck and the "failsafe" was clear. I drove it for about 2 miles before it went back into failsafe mode. Same code, didn't clear it.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:16 AM
43Duc
Junior User
I just dropped my truck off at the dealer. They called to tell me the throttle positioning sensor had to be replaced and it was going to cost me $375. They said it's not covered by warranty because it's attached to the supercharger. I told them to do it. I've just left a message w/ the dealer I bought the truck from to see if they will cover the cost since they sold me the truck and told me the supercharger would have no effect on my warranty. We'll see where this goes.

I'm a little concered because I'm taking this truck on a cross country road trip next week and now I wonder if I'll make it.

We'll see what happens. I'm trying to keep a cool head. Besides, I got 447 miles on it since the last time it was in the shop; so I got that going for me!

Old 03-10-2008, 11:51 AM
meanv10
Elder User
Are you running that edge instead of gauges? and if so how is it working for you? Does it have boost and Afr?

Old 03-10-2008, 04:51 PM
43Duc
Junior User
After talking to a friend of mine who is quite the gear-head, I determined I didn't really have a use for a boost gauge or a the AFM. My primary concern was the TFT for when I tow my trailer. So, that said, the Edge is great for that, as well as the other functions is does besides programming. I was going to get a boost gauge, but only because I was going to get a TFT gauge and didn't want to have a stand-alone gauge. I decided to spend a little more and get the code reading and alert capabilities of the Edge vs. the gauges.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:39 PM
anaheim_drew
Senior User
Originally Posted by 43Duc
After talking to a friend of mine who is quite the gear-head, I determined I didn't really have a use for a boost gauge or a the AFM. My primary concern was the TFT for when I tow my trailer. So, that said, the Edge is great for that, as well as the other functions is does besides programming. I was going to get a boost gauge, but only because I was going to get a TFT gauge and didn't want to have a stand-alone gauge. I decided to spend a little more and get the code reading and alert capabilities of the Edge vs. the gauges.

The Dealer told you this??????????
since they sold me the truck and told me the supercharger would have no effect on my warranty

Old 03-10-2008, 06:44 PM
43Duc
Junior User
Yes. They obviously wanted to sell the truck. I took it to mean anything other than the supercharger was covered as long as damage was not a result of the supercharger.

I went to a different dealer today and paid for the TPS. They weren't able to give me any reason beyond, "it's attached to the supercharger" as to why it's not covered by warranty. I friend of mine who works at the dealer (not in service), was able to get $90 taken off the price of the part though.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:13 PM
43Duc
Junior User
Well, tonight after taking my family out to dinner my truck went into Failsafe Mode again on the 5 FWY. This is a problem since I'm taking a cross country trip in this truck on Thursday. I now have zero confidence in this truck and don't feel that I can trust it to drive across town, much less across the country. I know that mistakes were made w/ this truck, but I can't keep hoping that it will run right. The error code is for the TPS which was replaced last week. I drove the truck for about 10 miles since I got it back.

I called the dealer when I got home and told them I will be in tomorrow to trade it in for something else. I don't know yet what I'm going to do about the DVD player and airbags that I added to the truck. Not to mention the custom cap that I have on order. I'm quite beside myself.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:53 PM
anaheim_drew
Senior User
Well, tonight after taking my family out to dinner my truck went into Failsafe Mode again on the 5 FWY. This is a problem since I'm taking a cross country trip in this truck on Thursday. I now have zero confidence in this truck and don't feel that I can trust it to drive across town, much less across the country. I know that mistakes were made w/ this truck, but I can't keep hoping that it will run right. The error code is for the TPS which was replaced last week. I drove the truck for about 10 miles since I got it back.

I called the dealer when I got home and told them I will be in tomorrow to trade it in for something else. I don't know yet what I'm going to do about the DVD player and airbags that I added to the truck. Not to mention the custom cap that I have on order. I'm quite beside myself.
I have offered to help you with the correct information to resolve your problems. You could have called me, I would have come by your home if you needed me to.
As far as mistakes made on the truck....
1. Putting 87 octane was done by accident and could have been corrected for less than $15
2. The current situation is the result of taking the advice of the @#$% who said add 2 cans of Octane booster and that you had incorrect plugs which is why the dealer replaced them.
Email me if you want to talk

Old 03-17-2008, 01:26 AM
43Duc
Junior User
Originally Posted by anaheim_drew
I have offered to help you with the correct information to resolve your problems. You could have called me, I would have come by your home if you needed me to.
Thanks Drew - PM Sent.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:20 AM
anaheim_drew
Senior User
Thanks Drew - PM Sent.
Email will be sent in 10min.... Read it before you go to the dealerships

Old 03-17-2008, 12:38 PM
meanv10
Elder User
Originally Posted by anaheim_drew
1. Putting 87 octane was done by accident and could have been corrected for less than $15
2. The current situation is the result of taking the advice of the @#$% who said add 2 cans of Octane booster and that you had incorrect plugs which is why the dealer replaced them.
Email me if you want to talk
you can keep trying to bust my ***** for suggesting that but it was never the problem. If you knew that it would have been a disaster to add octane boost you could have said something before he did it, everyone on hear would have said something if it would have been a bad idea. the dealer replaced the plugs because that WAS the problem, wrong heat range with wrong octane. bottom line that was the problem, he would have ran into this regardless of the octane boost, but let me guess the TPS sensor and so on are all results of the octane boost to( that's sarcasm) i get feed up with dealing with people like you that are to ignorant to look at the facts. after he brought the truck home with a 1/2 tank of premium after all the horrible octane boost was out it ran into the same problem, explain that?

Old 03-17-2008, 05:22 PM
43Duc
Junior User
I just want to thank everybody that's offered advice on my issues. They are hopefully being resolved. I know that part of these problems are because of things I did and because of things that weren't said. Again, I appreciate all the advice that was given here.