Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Air Flow Systems Inc. vs Tymar Intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 10:03 PM
horsecop
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Flow Systems Inc. vs Tymar Intake

Is there any difference between these two open air element systems? Air Flow came with the Donaldson filter and was easy to install. Didn't like finding the grit in the intake tubing. It wasn't much but it did bother me. Turbo fins were clean. Just need to know what to expect. Wife wanted to know what that noise was under the hood. I borrowed a line from a previous thread, "It's a Cat!"

Old 11-21-2003, 01:19 AM
96P_Stroke4x4
Smokin'

i don't know what the airflow system is like, but i have a tymar. tymar comes with a donaldson filter, and the hardest part of the install was getting the stock airbox out. for the tymar: a few clamps to connect the filter, 45* tube, and silicone coupling to the turbo intake and that's it. 20 minute install
hope this helps

Old 11-21-2003, 02:28 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
Here's the skinny on the TYMAR/Airflow intake systems. Dale Isley at TYMAR was buying the components for his intake from Airflow, and they finally figured out what he was doing with all those pieces, so they came out with "their own" intake. It's identical, as far as I can tell, but Dale still sells his for less.

Old 11-21-2003, 08:41 AM
horsecop
Senior User
Quad, I saw they are from the same area. I heard alot of people talking about Dale but I couldn't get info on how to purchase one from him. Tried calling when I did get his number and he did return my call. I had already purchased the other one by that time. I'm an outlaw I guess. I think it's a great idea and if Dale is the one who thought of it, I tip my hat sir.

Old 11-21-2003, 01:55 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
Dale and Airflow are both from Washington, and I do business with both. While in Airflow one day, one of the guys there noticed my TYMAR decal in the back window of my truck, and asked about it. He told me that Dale is a big customer of theirs, and Dale recently told me that he had sold his 1000th intake. He's quite the innovator, and a great guy. About 1/2 the stuff I've put on my truck, I've gotten from him.

Old 11-21-2003, 06:46 PM
horsecop
Senior User
We had union elections here today and it was a good excuse to drive around town. Got alot of attention from other fellas that I "passed" going into town. Ok, I had to make it whistle a little going by. Since the Air Flow didn't come with the restrictor I guess I better get one. What really gets attention is when the exaust brake kicks in. Almost sounds like a ratchet brake! I checked to see if there was a site for Tymar Performance and it read that it wasn't up yet. Any place else I can look? I haven't felt this confident with the truck since I got the tranny in Florida. Quad if there's anything else you can help me with like a pyro I'd appreciate it.

Old 11-21-2003, 07:04 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
horsecop- Are you running all those mods without a pyrometer? Your sig says something breaks whenever the wife drives it. You're lucky you don't melt things regardless of who's driving.
This site has pyrometers for sale, and installing them is quite easy. Just make sure you get the probe mounted pre-turbo. It's easier to mount post-turbo, but the readings are more meaningful pre.
Anything else I know, you're welcome to know too, just ask.

Old 11-21-2003, 09:22 PM
horsecop
Senior User
Still learning everyday. Quad. Been told by others to put a pyro on and that's next. Didn't know pre-turbo was better, but do now. Long story about "something breaks when wife drives." Everybody around here knows about her bad luck with my truck. Filler tube was leaking and this mechanic friend asked, "Wife drive again?" Thanks again for the info on the Pyro.

Old 11-22-2003, 12:09 AM
elkslayer1
Junior User
How do these systems hold up in rural areas with alot of dirt roads and all. Also with such a big breather will it hold up in real cold weather(below zero) and snow storms, meaning could so much cold air hurt the motor and is there a problem with these systems getting wet since there is no housing? I am considering the Tymar system and I hope this isnt to silly a questions.

Old 11-22-2003, 06:41 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
First, there's no such thing as a silly question. I've already asked all the silly, stupid, and redundant questions, so you don't have anything to worry about there.
As far as a TYMAR working in a dusty or wet environment, I live in the Seattle area, and we're famous for rain. I've had my TYMAR on for a long time, and have never had a problem with moisture. For one thing, the filter itself is sitting up on the driver's side fender, so no water could get to it, unless you were driving in very deep water. Even if you managed to get water on the filter, it's got a hydrophobic coating on the filter media that causes any water to bead, rather than penetrate. The surface area of the filter is large enough that even after 15K miles, it's still creating less restriction than many other filters when they're clean. I replace my filter every 15K miles or so because it looks dirty, but it's still got a lot of life left at that point.
Here is a picture I took of my propane system, and I happened to get the TYMAR in the picture as well.
Here is another one.
I hope this helps.

Old 11-22-2003, 11:35 AM
elkslayer1
Junior User
Awesome! thanks for the info, Quad. Seattle would definately serve as a proving ground for wetness.

Old 11-22-2003, 12:40 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
Whereabouts in Idaho are you? Shipping from TYMAR ought to be cheap for you, they're in Spokane.

Old 11-22-2003, 02:45 PM
elkslayer1
Junior User
Southeast Idaho. Pocatello area.

Old 11-22-2003, 04:31 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
That's still relatively close to Spokane. I went to college in Nampa a bejillion years ago.

Old 11-25-2003, 01:21 PM
TimC63
Freshman User
Hey Quad!

Did you keep the snorkel part of the factory box?

Thanks,

TC

Quick Reply: Air Flow Systems Inc. vs Tymar Intake